Jurassic Park vs. The Lost World vs. Jurassic Park III vs. Jurassic World

John

Jurassic Park vs. The Lost World vs. Jurassic Park III vs. Jurassic World  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which film is better?

• Jurassic Park (directed by Steven Spielberg)
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park (directed by Steven Spielberg)
    • Jurassic Park III (directed by Joe Johnston)
    • Jurassic World (directed by Colin Trevorrow)
  2. 2. Which score is better?

• Jurassic Park (composed by John Williams)
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park (composed by John Williams)
    • Jurassic Park III (composed by Don Davis)
    • Jurassic World (composed by Michael Giacchino)

Easiest poll of all time. JP is the winner in both categories by about a million miles.

But I also love TLW and JP3 -- both films and scores (TLW more than JP3, though).

As for JW, I thought the film betrayed a lot of what the franchise was about, but worked reasonably well as a creature feature. The score -- outside the appearances of Williams' themes -- was horrible.

I thought his handling of Williams' themes was the bad part, apart from the solo piano version in the Visitor Center cue (which was inexplicably left off the OST).  His original stuff was fine, especially the action material, the raptor theme, and Hoskins' theme.  The main theme and family theme I don't care for as much though.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought his handling of Williams' themes was the bad part, apart from the solo piano version in the Visitor Center cue (which was inexplicably left off the OST).  His original stuff was fine, especially the action material, the raptor theme, and Hoskins' theme.  The main theme and family theme I don't care for as much though.

And i I think his handling of Williams' stuff is fine away from the movie. It's the random images they play over that causes them to suffer. 

Never understood what it is about JPIII that I'm supposed to like. I can't recall a single original theme.

Its to JP what's CoS is to PS but worse!

Some absolutely awesome brass writing for starters? There are at least 3 new major themes. Love how Davis clashes his carnivore motif with Williams'.

Karol

Don Davis is a composer that was born too late to get as much fame as the other old masters. The score of JPIII is amazing unlike the film! If I was a famous director I would take Davis as technically best composer apart from Morricone, Williams, Goldsmith, ...

Nevertheless I voted JP film and LW score.

Films: JP,LW,JW,JPIII

JPIII is virtually unwatchable for me. It's every bit as agregious as Jaws the revenge.

Score: JP and LW are a virtual tie for me. JPIII slight edge over JW

I thought JW was an offense to filmmaking that a film in 2015 can look worse than one in 1993, it's insane!

For the scores: I never knew how good TLW was until the expanded set, and after listening to that set I also had a newfound appreciation for the film!

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

@Bilbo Skywalker listen to how Don Davis treats Williams' Dies Irae-like theme from the first film in this cue (not on the album).

Karol

That is better. I take it there's an extended version of the score "out there" then?

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Don Davis is a composer that was born too late to get as much fame as the other old masters. The score of JPIII is amazing unlike the film! If I was a famous director I would take Davis as technically best composer apart from Morricone, Williams, Goldsmith, ...

Nevertheless I voted JP film and LW score.

:thumbup: Top man...er...woman...er...yeah :unsure:

JP

and

JP

And The Lost World second on both accounts, with the score head-to-head with JP.

I tend not to think of the other two films at all. Don Davis' score is a pretty neat as far as adaptation scores go. Giacchino's score is sadly wholly unremarkable.

I like both Davis' and Giacchino's scores, but I can't listen to them sometimes because the imagery the films evoke are so lacklustre! I find I can't listen to The Last Airbender without thinking of the tragedy that film was!

JP is definitely the more iconic score, but the shifts in tone, that percussive texture and the action of TLW is why I chose it over the former. 

5 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

That is better. I take it there's an extended version of the score "out there" then?

Since the year the film came out, there has been, yes.  A 70 minute promo of the complete score was sent to academy members for voting, and the rest is history.

The family theme in JPIII is something I never pass up on listening to, same for Jurassic World. It's just a shame I never cared for either of the families the music represents!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since the year the film came out, there has been, yes.  A 70 minute promo of the complete score was sent to academy members for voting, and the rest is history.

It excluded the Randy Newman song, no? Big Hat, No Cattle. Alan's theme.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Of course it did.  Why do you even bring it up?

I haven't seen the FYC, I'm not up to date on nomination viability shenanigans!

On 15/08/2017 at 3:25 AM, Jay said:

Jurassic Park best film

The Lost World best score

Both films are very enjoyable

Both scores are masterpieces

This.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I hate to say this, but...how can any AMPAS member judge a score, by listening to a FYC CD?

The whole point of the category of "original" score, is, surely, how it supports the film, and not how it sounds on a standalone CD. I don't get it.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I hate to say this, but...how can any AMPAS member judge a score, by listening to a FYC CD?

The whole point of the category of "original" score, is, surely, how it supports the film, and not how it sounds on a standalone CD. I don't get it.

I think they are expected to both watch the film and listen to the score, of course.

Also, the CDs are not pressed for one sole organization, they are pressed for "consideration" to all organizations to any awards they want to bestow up on it

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Wasn't the JPIII "promo" more a product that was given to friends of Davis and staff members of the production? Was it nominated for anything at all?

Probably yea. Could have been just that indeed, and not something intended to garner votes. Who knows. 

There's a part of the JPIII score which the underscore for 'The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis' in Revenge of the Sith sounds very similar. Not sure which track...

Films: JP, JW, TLW (really kind of find it underrated), JPIII

Scores - JP, TLW, JW, JPIII (not bad though)

JP & TLW are basically neck to neck for me. Both grand pieces of music. JW isn't bad, and I like Giacchino's new themes, but anytime he uses the Jurassic Park theme, the scores falls apart for me, and while I like a lot of Davis's JPIII he overuses the theme a bit too much, and his action-tracks as good as they can be, are a bit too much bit for me. Still they're all good scores.