WMtN vs BotFJ

Tom

With Malice toward None (trumpet version) or Born on the Fourth of July  

25 members have voted

1. 1. With Malice toward None (trumpet version) or Born on the Fourth of July

• WMtN
    • BotFJ

The end credit suite from BotFJ has been my favorite Williams' "Americana" piece of his oeuvre.  However, I am really taken by the trumpet version of With Malice Toward None on the Spielberg/Williams album.  In fact, I think I prefer the latter.  There is something so understated yet moving about the whole piece.  So, why not create a poll.  Pick whichever version of BotFJ you prefer, as they both feature the trumpet. 

Oooh tough. Both are my favourites from JW's stately Americana catalogue but I have to go with Born on the Fourth of July if only by a narrow margin.

Lincoln for me!  I love that score and have listened to it dozens of times; I've only listened to BO4OJ twice.  Kind of waiting for an expanded release to sell me on that score

With Malice Towards None, in any version, is one of JW's best pieces.  I can't even recall the other option.  I suspect it's more white bread Americana compared to the reverent, deeply human tone of Lincoln. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

With Malice Towards None, in any version, is one of JW's best pieces.  I can't even recall the other option.  I suspect it's more white bread Americana compared to the reverent, deeply human tone of Lincoln. 

Actually, there's a dark, deeply tragic quality to the Born on the Fourth of July piece, reflective of its themes of the plight of Vietnam vets returning to America.  It's fantastic.

But yes, I prefer the almost religious tone of the Lincoln piece.

I remember being blown away by the trumpet/string interplay in the middle section of BotF (or Born on the Fourth of July, for those who like things spelled out for them) the first time I heard it.  Williams then punched me in the gut by removing it in the concert version.  I even heard him perform the said concert version with the CSO (again, Chicago Symphony Orchestra), and it still seemed like a punch in the gut.

7 hours ago, Sharky said:

A deeply affecting gut-punch of baby boomer disillusionment or a milquetoast, pussyfooting, PBS-grade ode to Copland.  

More of a both/and sort of thing.

7 hours ago, Sharky said:

A deeply affecting gut-punch of baby boomer disillusionment or a milquetoast, pussyfooting, PBS-grade ode to Copland.  

My vote is cast.

I... don't know which is which.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Friends is great! Can you BE anymore wrong?

Of the main 90s must-see TV Thursday NBC comedy shows, which I watched religiously, here's where I stand:

Cheers :thumbup:

The Cosby Show :thumbup:

Wings :thumbup:

Seinfeld :thumbup:

Frasier :thumbup:

Mad About You :thumbup:

Friends :flush: