Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story

Jay

Ewan McGregor wants to return as Obi-Wan

“I’d be happy to do the story from episodes three where I finish up and Alec Guinness starts,” McGregor said. Alec Guinness played Obi-Wan in the original trilogy.

One film covering that time frame could be interesting, but three?

I would be highly suspect of the anonymous sources of TechnoBuffalo.com, via SchmoesKnow.com, via Cinelinx.com. Not exactly the most reliable sources of any sort of news. They're the kind of sites that turn speculation into rumor. Those sites do cite articles from MakingStarWars.com and Screenrant, but neither of those more reliable sites say anything about a potential trilogy - just a possible one-off film.

Considering his age, now is a good time if it's going to take place after the PT and before the OT. I'm not particularly interested in what Ben did before he was introduced to Luke since he apparently kept to himself and was a hermit. I'd rather not see films specifically about an existing Star Wars character, such as Obi-Wan, Yoda, Han Solo, Boba Fett, etc.

• 10 months later...

Ewan McGregor Provides Update On Status Of Obi-Wan Kenobi Solo Film

“If they asked me to, I would be happy to. But it looks like I am campaigning for it, just because I get asked about it, all the time. So, I would like it to be known that I don’t bring it up, at these interviews, of my own free will. I only respond to questions I’m asked to. I don’t know anything about it. They’ve never approached me about it.”

• 1 year later...
Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

Clone Wars?  Rebels? Rogue One???

I like bits if Clone Wars. Rogue One isn't that bad. Rebels is pretty crap but not unlistenab... actually maybe that one is. 

OK, what would we want/expect from an Obi-Wan movie?

The obvious choice would be Tatooine adventures, but I always had multiple problems with that. 

First, the location is beaten to death.

Second, Obi-Wan was never really a model Jedi. The failure of Anakin could partially be accredited to his mastering skills (having taken him up when he just got out of Padawanship, under Qui-Gon, no less), and I think he only becomes great when when he learns humility, gives everything up and dedicates 20 years to a greater cause than him, becomes a hermit, learns about the deeper secrets of the Force and looks over Luke, of course. Having him get away from that to chase old bounty hunters from Clone Wars, probably, would cheapen his character for me.

But then, what else is there? A young Obi-Wan movie would not really work - Ewan looks great, but not THAT young - and any other time he was with Anakin, and I think no person in their right mind at Disney or Lucasfilm would get Hayden after the huge internet hatewave, neither would they cast anyone else as Obi-Wan.

Liam Neeson has to be in this. It would be safe to presume, with Yoda telling Obi-wan at the end of ROTS that it is possible to communicate with those who have passed away, that Qui-Gon Jinn's spirit would most likely appear in some form in an Obi-wan standalone. Perhaps some more Jedi training is in store for the title character?

Also, I wonder if they'll explain how Obi-wan aged 40 years in the span of less than two decades.

Interesting. I'd actually never heard of Daldry before this news, although my parents loved The Crown which apparently he did some episodes of. 

The really interesting news here is this:

Lucasfilm is also considering movies centering on Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among other characters.

While fans had of course speculated about a Yoda film (and perhaps it was inevitable), this is the first confirmation of some development in that direction. Athough that assumes that the reporter actually was told about a Yoda film and didn't just misread old news articles about future spin-offs...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kenobi_(novel)

something like this would be great. I powered through that book. I don't think they should adapt that specific story but it does show that a good story can be told about Obi-Wan on Tatooine. 

I'd like Qui-Gon and Owen to have pivotal roles in the film though. 

2 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

The director has worked with Stephen Warbeck, Alexandre Desplat and Phillip Glass in his past movies. Any of those would be great.

I want me my Desplat Star Wars score. I've already been robbed once 😢

Probably Desplat will have this one.

I did not know the suite for Qui Gon

Does Obi Wan too have a theme?
Other than the twin suns?
Many people assume that the theme of the army of droids is his.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I've never heard someone say that they though the droid march was Obi-Wan's theme, but they're wrong.

(That's my YouTube video by the way!)

I saw it on some place in YT.

Wow

I'm one of those "likes" too

:up:

I thought Desplat was out because the pickups took longer than expected and he couldn't fit it into his schedule anymore.

Anyway, I'm mostly waiting for the moment when the SW finally has the balls to move far away from the established movie universe. 

Bring the KotOR storyline back, for example, it's 3600 years ago, it won't interfere with their new canon!

Or even go back into Dawn of the Jedi territory after we probably learn a lot about it in TLJ - maybe from the Journal of the Whills!

In regards to composers choice, I'd love if if Desplat did it, but if he can't, then James Newton Howard could be great. Just hoping whoever they hire largely does his own thing.

Also Stephen Daldry? At the rate these spinoffs are going, someone like Bill Condon is going to direct one of these isn't he?