Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story

Jay

as far as the initial spin-off ideas went this was always one that I hoped would be made, so its nice to hear talks of it at least.

I would say what you perceive as acting faults of Ewan McGregor in the Prequels was entirely the script's fault, and I have to commend Ewan for doing as much as he could with the horrendously weird and stilted dialogue. he's definitely one of the most memorable parts of them (not including Episode 1 where his character comes off as whiny and boring), and a lot of that may be down to his delivery. as much as the scene between him and Anakin burning on Mustafar feels unearned in terms of emotional investment, I can't help but feel real emotion at Ewan's performance of the line 'you were my brother Anakin, I loved you.'

so the thought of a story about a character that I thoroughly enjoy possibly centred on one of the most interesting points of his life, the transition from someone staunchly apart of the Jedi Order to a renegade survivor of Order 66 that is called to a higher purpose - is a very interesting prospect.

much more so than 'member Han Solo, member the Millennium Falcon, see how he got his jacket!' origins that will de-mistify and most likely cheapen the character, and although I like Rogue One the premise as pitched was never very interesting either.

I don't think an Obi Wan story is necessary. He's already been in 6 films. I'm ready for standalone films unrelated to the other films and existing characters. Even in Rogue One, they had to shoehorn Leia and Tarkin. It's time for Disney to create new iconic characters! No surprise they're playing it safe, though. TFA set that standard and I expect TLJ to still be within the safe boundary.

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

McGregor had zero charisma as Obi Wan, so I say cast an unknown. Oh and don't call it "Obi Wan: A Star Wars Story". That'd be awful 

I think Ewan had charisma enough as Obi-Wan - especially in the bits where his character was supposed to be humorous or playful.  "Supposed to" being key words - Lucas' scripts and green screens couldn't be helped, and they sucked the life out of Oscar winners and nominees (Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson), excellent character actors (Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee), and others who succeeded in other films (Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen).  Everyone!  Give him something to work with, and we'll see.

I think the only way someone else would be Obi-Wan is if Ewan refuses.

28 minutes ago, Quintus said:

McGregor had zero charisma as Obi Wan, so I say cast an unknown. Oh and don't call it "Obi Wan: A Star Wars Story". That'd be awful 

I just went with the most basic title that would inform everyone what this thread is until we get confirmation of a real title!

Old Ben or just Ben Kenobi mightn't be too bad. 

Presumably this film will deal deal with him ceasing to be Obi-Wan Kenobi: Jedi Knight and becoming Old Ben Kenobi: Crazy Old Wizard

The kid was really happy with this news (he doesn't really care about the Han Solo movie) and he hopes that Ewan gets the part. 

6 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Old Ben or just Ben Kenobi mightn't be too bad. 

Presumably this film will deal deal with him ceasing to be Obi-Wan Kenobi: Jedi Knight and becoming Old Ben Kenobi: Crazy Old Wizard

A whole movie about Ben Kenobi in the desert of Tatooine ...

Matt Damon is Obi Wan Kenobi

A story about survival and solitude

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

McGregor had zero charisma as Obi Wan, so I say cast an unknown.

I think a lot of people will disagree and chalk that down to George Lucas' awful writing and directing style. After all, he managed to make Samuel L. Jackson boring.

Give him a decent script and a good director and I think he'll do well.

On 17/08/2017 at 9:30 PM, Richard said:

(softly, resignedly) geez, not another one?

On 18/08/2017 at 6:33 AM, Alexcremers said:

It hasn't even started yet.

It's this greedy, avaricious asset-stripping of a unique property, that gets me. The Mouse will continue to royally bugger STAR WARS until it has absolutely nothing left offer, and then it will vomit up what it's already foisted upon the world, in the form of reboots, repackages, and "re-imaginings".

It's a horrible, cynical, insulting way to extract money from people, and the thing is that no-one will notice that it's being done. They'll worship at Disney's feet, handing over cash, to a rancid organisation, that has no integrity, and has done nothing to deserve it, while they starve. Fuck that.

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

I think a lot of people will disagree and chalk that down to George Lucas' awful writing and directing style. After all, he managed to make Samuel L. Jackson boring.

Give him a decent script and a good director and I think he'll do well.

You're possibly right and I've suggested the same thing myself in the past, but for me McGregor would only be a reminder of that woeful trilogy's existence and continued acknowledgement of it being canon.

Not that it matters, as I think they'll go for someone younger and hotter than McGregor currently is anyway.

McDiarmid and McGregor were the two strongest actors in the Prequels.  

Just now, Richard said:

It's this greedy, avaricious asset,-stripping of a unique property, that gets me. The Mouse will continue to royally bugger STAR WARS until it has absolutely nothing left offer, and then it will vomit up what it's already foisted upon the world, in the form of reboots, repackages, and "re-imaginings".

It's a horrible, cynical, insulting way to extract money from people, and the thing is that no-one will notice that it's being done.

I think if any material I'd give Disney props for going ahead with, devoid of the kind of studio cash-cow sentiments I think we can often level at them, I think this story warrants the exposure because in the expanded universe it was always an intriguing part of the intervening years between ROTS and ANH. What was he up to? What did he do? Was he losing his mind?

Whether Disney can match that with a pure, genuine want to make a film around the story is always going to be doubtful, and I think the Han Solo film will be indicative going forward...

I'll tell you what he did in between ROTS, and ANH: he lived on Tattooine, communed with Qui Gon, watched over Luke, and turned into Alec Guinness.

Not much going on, there.

Those Disney boys is pickin' gnat shit outta pepper.

31 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's this greedy, avaricious asset-stripping of a unique property, that gets me. The Mouse will continue to royally bugger STAR WARS until it has absolutely nothing left offer, and then it will vomit up what it's already foisted upon the world, in the form of reboots, repackages, and "re-imaginings".

It's a horrible, cynical, insulting way to extract money from people, and the thing is that no-one will notice that it's being done. They'll worship at Disney's feet, handing over cash, to a rancid organisation, that has no integrity, and has done nothing to deserve it, while they starve. Fuck that.

lol. "Disney extracting money from people". lol OK...

These films are a spectacle that people by the numbers flock to. Disney doesn't even have to try to hook people into new ventures of worn-out, creatively devoid franchises.

On 8/19/2017 at 4:38 AM, Quintus said:

Not that it matters, as I think they'll go for someone younger and hotter than McGregor currently is anyway.

I don't see how they could do this if the movie is supposed to take place between Episodes III and IV.  If anything they might need to cast older than McGregor, depending on if the story is taking place closer to III or closer to IV.

A Star Wars story stuck on one planet isn't much of a Star Wars story. The story vehicle would work better as a flashback, but who would Obi-wan be talking to about it and when? 

On 8/17/2017 at 8:22 PM, Will said:

I kind of doubt Desplat will do it ... because Lucasfilm probably won't want him back! Why would you bring back someone who didn't give you what you wanted last time?

This. Desplat isn't scoring a Star Wars film anytime soon. 

On 8/18/2017 at 11:02 AM, Quintus said:

The whole A Star Wars Story spin-off series reminds me a lot of Batman v Superman in that they aren't films born out of some great storytelling ideas, but just cash grabs. Has there ever been a film before now where it's so far into production and marketing yet still doesn't have a fucking title? Untitled Han Solo Film is up on marquis and everything, just like how BvS was just Untitled Batman-Superman Film for the longest time. Eventually they said fuck it and gave it one of the worst titles imaginable. I assume the same will happen for these films. 

On 8/17/2017 at 4:46 PM, Gistech said:

The most important question of the film will undoubtedly be whether he still has the high ground.

On 8/18/2017 at 2:09 AM, artguy360 said:

Title predictions:

These Aren't The Droids He's Looking For: A Star Wars Story

High Ground: A Star Wars Story

May The Force Be With You: A Star Wars Story

On 8/19/2017 at 8:36 AM, Quintus said:

McGregor has been cast after all and the title is revealed:

dNTgHZN.jpg

Typical! 

I wrote this in the Episode 9 thread:

Episode 9 has to come out after Kenobi. This is so that Ewan McGregor can star as a decently-scripted Obi-Wan in a uniquely-toned ultimate franchise-binding film all about the Force; Obi-Wan's coming to terms with his new role in a changed galaxy; his slow-burning shepherding as he watches a young Luke from a distance, carefully drip-feeding ideas about the Force and working to keep him hidden. All the while he practices his own meditation, learns more from Force-ghost Qui-Gon (Neeson, of course), maybe goes off planet to visit Yoda or research how ancient Jedi turned their own back from the dark side, finding it will all be about family, and realising his path to redemption will be through Luke...leading perhaps closely up to Episode IV from this angle.

This will all be so that, in Episode 9, Alec Guiness Force-ghost can help Luke through a final hurdle of rebuilding the Jedi order or whatever the spiritual climax will be. Such a film could link the prequels, originals and spin-offs for a satisfying end to the 'four trilogies'...

...but I doubt they'll be that adventurous.

The original Obi-Wan (AKA Ben), Sir Alec, knew the drill decades ago. He ultimately resented being in a children's space movie with a guy in a gorilla suit. He recognized their technical achievements and respected Lucas and what he was doing, but saw the films for what they really were, as their creator and composer did. Popcorn movies for children. However, the audience refused to stop obsessively watching them and being weirdos. Now we have generations of Star Weirdos and Disney milking the absolute fuck out of this thing. Star Wars is now serious entertainment with violent Saving Private Ryan-esque battle scenes in place of teddy bears throwing rocks.

12 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Star Wars is now serious entertainment with violent Saving Private Ryan-esque battle scenes in place of teddy bears throwing rocks.

This is how my sister reacted to Rogue One as well.  She complained that she couldn't show it to her 5 year old daughter.

16 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

The original Obi-Wan (AKA Ben), Sir Alec, knew the drill decades ago. He ultimately resented being in a children's space movie with a guy in a gorilla suit. He recognized their technical achievements and respected Lucas and what he was doing, but saw the films for what they really were, as their creator and composer did. Popcorn movies for children. However, the audience refused to stop obsessively watching them and being weirdos. Now we have generations of Star Weirdos and Disney milking the absolute fuck out of this thing. Star Wars is now serious entertainment with violent Saving Private Ryan-esque battle scenes in place of teddy bears throwing rocks.

SW was never meant to be taken seriously. Just watching the Silver Screen Edition alone has a completely different feel to any other incarnation. It was completely independent from all this universe building, and was rather just a fun little Campbell/Kurosawa/Camelot inspired adventure story. Everything that came afterward you'd think was part of some creepy weirdo kool-aid cult.

I wonder if every Star Wars film made by Disney will receive a PG-13 rating. R1 was a very mild PG-13 film, with relatively bloodless action, while TFA, in my opinion, surely didn't deserve that rating. It could've passed as a somewhat "edgy" PG film.