R.I.P. Jerry Lewis

Simon McBride

Jerry with a very local Québécois clown, Jacques Desrosiers.

I was not a fan of Jerry, but if a paradise of clowns exist, it must be funnier from today.

Jacques Desrosiers, Jerry Lewis and Jean Lesage, PM of Québec at the time.

546504_379964675372147_683838402_n.jpg

Jacques and Jerry few years later. They both participated in telethons for children.

20901470_1814851268530702_341751897223242116_o.jpg

This is so eerie coming two weeks after I listened to the projection booth's podcast of The Bellboy, wow.

I'm a fan of his first four films as a director (The Bellboy, The Errand Boy, The Ladies Man & The Nutty Professor), as well some of his movies with Martin, and even with all of the poor comedies he did later, or the fact that he was apparently an asshole, and could be annoying, he gave some terrific later day performances in films like The King of Comedy. RIP!

The French must be devastated

Actually there was are-run of an old TV show from the 50's with Dean Martin on late night TV  a while back. He was pretty funny

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Maybe, now, we'll get to see THE DAY THE CLOWN CRIED? :)

Lewis made a deal to ensure that'll at least be 10 years before its released after his passing. So will still have to wait a while, bummer. 

Loved Jerry Lewis.

Maybe it's time to rewatch the episode of BEN CASEY directed by and starring Lewis, with a score by John Williams. I wonder if they interacted for this episode?:

Yes, I'm aware the quality of this video sounds like it was recorded with a potato.

Jerry Lewis was the graduation speaker when one of my ex-girlfriends graduated college in '04 or '05ish.  His speech was very strange, full of inappropriate dirty jokes!  I wonder if its online anywhere

Weird thing to admit:  I have never seen a single Jerry Lewis movie.  And I'm someone who's gone out of his way to educate myself in movie history since I was 13.  He just never rose to the top of the pile.

My knowledge of Lewis is 100% based on Professor Frink.

I rented one after enjoying the parodies of him in Animaniacs.  It was kinda weird and dated.

Other than that, my experience is that extremely weird graduation speech!

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Watch THE KING OF COMEDY. Now!!!!!!!

Of course I've seen The King of Comedy, it's one of my favorite Scorsese movies.  I meant I'd never seen one of Jerry Lewis' movies that he wrote and directed.

Lewis was really a precursor to Woody Allen in a lot of ways.  A comedian who becomes a film writer/director/star is a rare thing.

17 minutes ago, Hawmy said:

Bellboy. That's a classic.

People often change
But when I look in your eyes
You could learn a lot from
A job like mine
The secret to me
It ain't flown on a flag
I carry it behind
This pretty little badge
What says... 

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Weird thing to admit:  I have never seen a single Jerry Lewis movie.  And I'm someone who's gone out of his way to educate myself in movie history since I was 13.  He just never rose to the top of the pile.

My knowledge of Lewis is 100% based on Professor Frink.

Think I saw The Disorderly Orderly when I was a kid, but my knowledge is also mostly Prof Frink-based. 

PAIN! PAIN IN THE GLAYVEN!!!