11. 11. Coruscant Arrival vs. Arrival at Takodana

• Coruscant Arrival
    • Arrival at Takodana
    • Tie
  12. 12. Take to Your Ships and Take Off vs. Scherzo for X-Wings

• Take to Your Ships and Take Off
    • Scherzo for X-Wings
    • Tie
  13. 13. The Great Duel-The Duel Continues vs. The Ways of the Force (OST version)

• The Great Duel-The Duel Continues
    • The Ways of the Force (OST version)
    • Tie
  14. 14. Qui-Gon's Noble End vs. Torn Apart (Force theme alternate)

• Qui-Gon's Noble End
    • Torn Apart (Force theme alternate)
    • Tie
  15. 15. Battleship Destroyed-The End of Darth Maul vs. The Journey Home

• Battleship Destroyed-The End of Darth Maul
    • The Journey Home
    • Tie
  16. 16. Conferring with Yoda vs. Farewell and the Trip (film version)

• Conferring with Yoda
    • Farewell and the Trip (film version)
    • Tie
  17. 17. Qui-Gon's Funeral vs. The Starkiller

• Qui-Gon's Funeral
    • The Starkiller
    • Tie
  18. 18. Augie's Municipal Band vs. The Jedi Steps

• Augie's Municipal Band
    • The Jedi Steps
    • Tie
  19. 19. End Credits (TPM) vs. End Credits (TFA)

20. 20. Anakin's Theme vs. Rey's Theme

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

I don't know what half these things are, so I'm guessing they're based on FYC titles?  Anyway, I did my best to try to figure out what the tracks were and voted.  :blink:

Yeah, the TFA titles are mostly from the OST and FYC, as well as Jay's made-up titles.  Most of the TPM cues are based on the original cue titles, but a couple are based on the OST titles. 

TFA is thematically stronger though. Anakin's Theme is a bit slight, and most of the other thematic material doesn't run through the whole movie. Qui-Gons theme is great, but only used a few times. DOTF only near the end etc.

TFA has a couple of themes that get used well and often throughout.

It's not all about themes. The Phantom Menace is overall more interesting musically. To hell with themes, motifs, short blasts of things as Horner might say. He was scoring a more challenging film in 1999, not the same old shit repackaged with Kira Knightly.

2 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

It's not all about themes. The Phantom Menace is overall more interesting musically. To hell with themes, motifs, short blasts of things as Horner might say. He was scoring a more challenging film in 1999, not the same old shit repackaged with Kira Knightly.

I assume the irony is intentional?  Well-played. 

15 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Rey's Theme is the standout piece from TFA and it's use in the film creates stronger musical moments than any in TPM. But the overall score for TPM is far richer with really wonderful underscore and just a sense of fresh energy from JW that runs through every minute of the score. 

This!

I've loved "Anakin is Free" for a long time, but for whatever reason yesterday it truly overwhelmed me with its beauty in a way it hadn't in the past, particularly this soaring melody:

Reminds me of The Terminal's love theme, which I also adore. Is it a motif? (I remember hearing it in "It's Working" as well)

In addition to that melody, this cue also has so many of my favorite Williams-isms -- classic Williams solemn brass chords, classic Williams harmonies, etc. 

I really think there's a good chance that TPM could be my favorite Williams score all time (I've giving it another complete listen now and am marveling once again). 

On 23/8/2017 at 11:12 PM, Jay said:

TPM for everything except the CLEAR TFA winners: Farewell and the Trip, The Jedi Steps, End Credits, and Rey's Theme.

This 

On 25/8/2017 at 0:24 AM, artguy360 said:

Rey's Theme is the standout piece from TFA and it's use in the film creates stronger musical moments than any in TPM. But the overall score for TPM is far richer with really wonderful underscore and just a sense of fresh energy from JW that runs through every minute of the score. 

This. 

6 hours ago, Will said:

I've loved "Anakin is Free" for a long time, but for whatever reason yesterday it truly overwhelmed me with its beauty in a way it hadn't in the past, particularly this soaring melody:

The Battlestar Galactica theme?

I'm not that much a fan of Rey's Theme, but I love the March of the Resistance, even more than the Imperial March.:fouetaa:

In general TFA has no chance against TPM (naturally the score, not the movie). I consider the latter to be the third best SW score and the former to be just the warm-up exercise of the following scores TLJ and RotE*.

*Since the titles of the recent Star Wars movies are very unispired and easily replaceable, I suggest to use the recycled working title "Revenge of the Empire" for future discussions of Episode IX on this forum.