Which would you be more happy about? SW vs HP.

Josh500

Which would you be more happy about?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you be more happy about?

• Harry Potter John Williams Collection (7 CD set, a bonus CD with never before released cues/alternates)
    • Star Wars prequels John Williams Collection (7 CD set, a bonus CD with never before released cues/alternates)

Think carefully now. ;)

Both sets are complete and they come with newly remastered music, beautiful artwork, 50 pages of liner notes etc...

For me, Star Wars, by a very small margin. There's just something incredibly satisfying and rewarding and mesmerising about owning the Star Wars music in a complete, officially released, and gorgeous set. If I got my hands on that, I think I can wait for HP for awhile longer. 

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Star Wars mostly because the recording sessions have never leaked. 

Wait, what? 

What about the bootlegs floating out there? 

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Wait, what? 

I'm talking about legitimate recording session leaks, not fan edits. Real recording sessions have never leaked for any Star Wars film. I've made several of those fan edits floating around, and trust me, they're not complete. So, in terms of clean music, Star Wars has less released than Harry Potter (minus PoA), which is the main reason I'd rather have a prequel set than a HP set. Plus, I'm not a massive fan of POA. I mean, it's better than the other composers' material, but in my opinion it's the weakest HP JW score.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I've made several of those fan edits floating around, and trust me, they're not complete.

And I see you uploaded another 5.000 cues today!

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

And I see you uploaded another 5.000 cues today!

Yep, just finishing up TPM. Now I'm basically done with my current edits. Just waiting for TLJ...

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Everything I need from the prequels, is on the OSTs.

Bah, humbug!

Revenge of the Sith is the Prisoner of Azkaban of unreleased goodies!

I want to select an option for "both"!

As for presentation: C&C with bonus disc of alts and album cues!

Can we have both, but not necessaily released the same month? :D

Of course, my heart will always go for Star Wars first, even if I'm not a fan of the prequel's scores.  But, maybe a "Mike Matessino" treatment could resurrect my interrest for them...

On 8/24/2017 at 2:25 AM, Josh500 said:

The only proper recording session leak for the Star Wars films is a single cue from ROTS.  All the "bootlegs" of all the prequels scores are nothing more than fans cobbling together scraps from the OSTs, DVD/BDs, and video games to re-assemble the complete score, something they can actually do properly since we have all the sheet music so we know exactly where everything belongs.  But in the end, they're still fan edits combining various bits of various different qualities together.

HP1 and HP2 had true full recording sessions leak out.  HP1 in lossless with only the teaser/trailer music missing, and HP2 with only a string overlay and maybe one or two other small things missing.

HP3 hasn't had anything leak.  Any "bootleg" for that would just be fan edits combining the OST with DVD rips and such.

Thanks for the info!

I don't know all this, because I strictly only listen to officially released stuff (yes, really). The A.I. Oscar Promo was the only exception, but even that is redundant now, since the LLL Complete Edition came out.

On 8/25/2017 at 2:24 AM, Josh500 said:

I don't know all this, because I strictly only listen to officially released stuff (yes, really). The A.I. Oscar Promo was the only exception, but even that is redundant now, since the LLL Complete Edition came out.

Oh my goodness, the things you're missing out on...

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Oh my goodness, the things you're missing out on...

Yeah, it's just a principle of mine.

But at this point, the only major JW scores that haven't gotten an expanded or complete treatment are HP and SW prequels. I mean, we have Complete (more or less) releases of Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, the Star Wars original, ET, Jaws, AI, Hook, Home Alone etc.

This way the new complete releases are all the sweeter for me....

Keeping my fingers crossed for the Star Wars prequels, Harry Potter, and the Oliver Stone movies. 

Right now, at this particular moment, I'd probably pick HP, just for all the unreleased awesomeness of POA. But it could just as easily go the other way, especially since I have a slightly stronger attachment to the music of Star Wars.

On the choice of 7 cd box sets, I vote HP.

I've already bought the SW soundtracks a gazillion times, I don't think there's anything left to surprise me. But I'd like ROTJ in a better sound presentation.

The HP scores, though - even if I'm only mildly enthusiastic about them - are bound to have something substantially new on them, at least for me who don't own any of the bootlegs (HP, SW or otherwise).

Then I'd like to submit my vote for 2 CD expanded sets for the SW prequels.

After that, you can do whatever you want.

Definitely Harry Potter. I watched the movies regularly since my early childhood and the music was an important part of that. Thus I know almost every cue that is unreleased, so I know what I have to miss.

The Prequels have probably several surprises, which means there might be yet unreleased outstanding cues. But I don't know them, as I'm not aware of them. I watched the trilogy just twice.

Additionally I think as follows about the six scores:

The Prisoner of Azkaban > The Philosopher's Stone > The Phantom Menace > The Chamber of Secrets > Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones

It's been literally 7 or 8 years since I last saw Revenge of the Sith, and I just stumbled across this. 

This scene is really rather ridiculous and a bit cringeworthy... Except for the music. The music gives me goosebumps. The music occupies 70% of my attention. What would I give to have this clean, on CD, in perfect sound quality! (And no, no bootleg for me!)

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

It's been literally 7 or 8 years since I last saw Revenge of the Sith, and I just stumbled across this. 

This scene is really rather ridiculous and a bit cringeworthy... Except for the music. The music gives me goosebumps. The music occupies 70% of my attention. What would I give to have this clean, on CD, in perfect sound quality! (And no, no bootleg for me!)

Most of that music is on the soundtrack album. Most of the rest of it is just micro-edited in, except for part of "Good Guys Arrive".

13 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Most of that music is on the soundtrack album. Most of the rest of it is just micro-edited in, except for part of "Good Guys Arrive".

Well, the soundtrack album is 72 minutes, so of course most of it is there. But my point is, the Complete Soundtrack would be twice as awesome. 

This reminds me....

What about the Complete Indiana Jones? Anybody craving that?

Sure, it'd be nice, but I'm satisfied with the Concorde set so far. I don't need 5 minutes of still unreleased cues. 

Just now, Josh500 said:

This reminds me....

What about the Complete Indiana Jones? Anybody craving that?

Sure, it'd be nice, but I'm satisfied with the Concorde set so far. I don't need 5 minutes of still unreleased cues. 

Did you seriously miss this thread created soon after this one?

On 8/26/2017 at 2:28 PM, Josh500 said:

Ridiculous? Sure. Cringeworthy? Not at all. At least Star Wars was still fun and even original here. Lucas was a kid playing with his toys. I like the look of the walkers and gunships and how they're fighting in a sinkhole with a city built around it with Ewan hamming it up in a green screen set.

1 minute ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Ridiculous? Sure. Cringeworthy? Not at all. At least Star Wars was still fun and even original here. 

You mean in contrast to TFA?

Okay, cringeworthy is maybe a bit harsh but my point is, it's slightly ridiculous and comical.