Edward Shearmur's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - NEW 2CD La-La Land Edition

scallenger

3 hours ago, scallenger said:

LLL just revealed they are having a CD signing event at Burbank on the 30th of September for a new expanded/remastered 2CD release of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow!

Waterworks AND Sky Captain? Good time for excellent adventure scores then.

They're both pretty darn well done; not even quite sure which of the two is better. :D

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Gotcha.  I'll wait and order from LLL direct.

Ditto.

14 minutes ago, scallenger said:

But if you get it from Creature Features it is signed by the composer...

I have never been much of an autograph hunter so that won't be an extra incentive for me.

My incentive for Creature Feature is simply to pre-order something. I ordered Twister from them. The flipside is that they open your CD and sign that insert, so it arrives open, like a used CD. If that bothers you, it will. 

3 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Might pick this up, was a fan of the score and the movie, was sorry to see that Conran's career never went anywhere.

Likewise. Both far better than they had any right to be.

Did Conran ever want to do another film anyway?

I understood he just wanted to make that film and he didn't really have any desire to make more than one.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Ditto.

Ditto x2.

I ordered Twister from Creature Features and got the CD nearly a month after LLL's own release date.

A scribble on a piece of paper doesn't mean much to me. I'd rather have the music earlier. 

4 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Likewise. Both far better than they had any right to be.

Did Conran ever want to do another film anyway?

I understood he just wanted to make that film and he didn't really have any desire to make more than one.

He actually was interested in making other films, including an earlier John Carter of Mars film, and claims that he has a few new projects in the pipeline, he did make a short in 2012 too. There was actually an article about him a few years ago, that was really interesting to read.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/sky-captain-and-the-world-of-tomorrow/kerry-kevin-conran-what-happened/

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

There was actually an article about him a few years ago, that was really interesting to read.

Interesting indeed!

The film they made was a fine one indeed and they sound like actual, genuine people too.

I like these guys; I like them a lot.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can't be the only one who was driven to see this in the theater based on Ebert's 4-star review.  Ebert at his most idiosyncratic and I agreed with him wholeheartedly.

I never saw it on cinemas and didn't like it so much on first viewing either.

How different things are now, because that review hits the truth right on the nose.

It is just plain fun adventure in an unconventional, yet old-fashioned setting.

I wished they'd make more films these days with the same level of adventure, fun and true imagination.

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Interesting indeed!

The film they made was a fine one indeed and they sound like actual, genuine people too.

I like these guys; I like them a lot.

It's certainly a fine "throwback" film. I would have liked to have seen more from Conran, but sadly the film "tanked", and he hasn't been able to recover since then. A shame really, because I'm sure he could done a decent follow-up if given the chance. 

I really wonder what Edward Shearmur's career would look like had Sky Captain been a success. I like to think that he might have been in a place to get some of the jobs that have gone to Michael Giacchino. Based on Sky Captain and The Count of Monte Cristo, he's a talented guy with good dramatic instincts who deserved more high-profile assignments. I do wonder about the new Sky Captain release. I thought the original album was more or less complete; maybe there are alternates?

@GWU08 Think the OST had about half of of the score. There's at least an hour missing if one is to believe the track listings of footwarmers that were floating around some time ago. I've never actually heard any of those "expanded bootlegs" so couldn't tell you exactly but this is one of the track/cue listing I could find:

CD01 (60:56):
1m01 Logos (Main Title) (1:13)
1m02 Zeppelin (1:54)
1m04 Telegram (1:35)
1m05 Meet Polly (1:33)
1m06-7 The Office (2:16)
1m09-13 Robots (complete) (8:34)
1m13 After Robots (2:13)
2m01 Meet Dex (1:02)
2m02 Captain Office (3:10)
2m03-4 Hangar+Car (2:24)
2m05 Jennings Lab (2:49)
3m01 Dr. Jennings Is Dead (0:57)
3m02 Flying Wings, pt1 (1:09)
3m03-4 Flying Wings, pt2+3 (1:59)
3m05 Flying Wings, pt4 (1:14)
3m06 Flying Wings, pt5 (0:54)
3m07 Flying Wings, pt6 (0:41)
3m08 Flying Wings, pt7 (1:24)
3m09 Flying Wings, pt8 (1:16)
3m10 Wiggly Robots (0:39)
3m11 Cap's Escape (0:54)
3m12 Underwater (1:55)
3m13 S.C. Fights the Wigglys (1:49)
3m14 Wheres Dex? (0:51)
4m01-2 Flight to Nepal (2:53)
4m03-4 Landing in Nepal (2:04)
4m05 Shambala (1:09)
4m06 Treacherous Journey (1:30)
4m07 Transmitter (0:49)
4m08-9 Tunnels (2:57)
4m10 Dynamite (2:33)
4m11 Three in a Bed (1:11)
4m12 Monks (1:25)

CD02 (53:34):
5m01 New Clothes (1:30)
5m02 Gramophone Source (2:09)
5m03-5 Romancing the Staff (3:23)
5m03-06 Romancing (complete) (5:09)
5m06 Buckle Up (1:57)
5m07 What is That? (0:48)
5m08 Under Attack (2:15)
5m09-12 Underwater (complete) (6:40)
6m01 Reflets dans l'eau (1:24)
6m02 Flying Lizard (1:15)
6m03 Tales of Nanjing (2:17)
6m04-5 Ark (1:56)
6m06 Robot Attack (2:55)
6m07 Outside TK's Office pt1+pt2 (2:02)
7m01 TK's Office (1:21)
7m02 A Plan (1:46)
7m03 Fight (2:16)

As you can see, plenty of unreleased music waiting to be heard!

Karol

The expanded edition I made for myself some time is at least 40 minutes longer than the OST.

I do think the original soundtrack was put together pretty well, but there's definitely still good stuff not on there.
Especially the finale of the film was truncated on the album and it excludes several of the more quiet tracks.

It's one of those scores that I'm always quite impressed by, but hardly ever play because it's so overpowering that I zone out and forget I'm listening to it halfway through. Clearly a case of "there might be some great unreleased highlights", so I'll give the 2CD a try. And yes, from what I remember, some more quiet stuff might help balance it out.

It will be available on our website Sept 26 at 12 pm pst.

We will NOT be offering signed copies.

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=121163&forumID=1&archive=0

So there you have it.  The choice is a shrinkwrapped copy that you can order on Sep 26 that will arrive a few days later, or an opened and signed copy that you can pre-order now, but won't arrive till weeks after Sep 30.

• 2 weeks later...

SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW: LIMITED EDITION 
(2-CD SET)      LLLCD 1335
Music by Edward Shearmur
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

STARTS SHIPPING SEPT. 12

skycaptain-Web.jpgOrder at www.lalalandrecords.com , starting at 12noon (pst) on 9/12.

La-La Land Records, Paramount Pictures and Sony Music proudly present the remastered and expanded re-issue of renowned composer Edward Shearmur’s (THE GOVERNESS, CHARLIE’S ANGELS, LAWS OF ATTRACTION) original motion picture score to the groundbreaking 2004 sci-fi/fantasy/adventure feature film SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW, starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law and Angelina Jolie, and directed by Kerry Conran. Considered to be one of the most notable action scores of the new millennium, Shearmur’s breathtakingly bold orchestral work absolutely soars in this deluxe, 2-CD presentation, which runs nearly a full hour longer than the original, truncated 2004 soundtrack release! Produced by Dan Goldwasser, Executive Produced for Sony Music by Didier C. Deutsch, and remastered by Noah Scot Snyder from high-quality elements within the composer’s personal archives, this special release is limited to 3000 Units, and features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Daniel Schweiger and heroic art design by Goldwasser.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1
1. The World of Tomorrow 1:09
2. The Zeppelin Arrives 1:53
3. Telegram* 1:36
4. Meet Polly* 1:33
5. The Office* 2:16
6. The Robot Army 3:02
7. Calling Sky Captain 3:23
8. After Robots*/Meet Dex* 2:58
9. Back at the Base 2:53
10. Hanger-Car*/Jennings Lab*/Dr. Jennings Is Dead* 6:05
11. The Flying Wings Attack/Wiggly Robots* 8:13
12. An Aquatic Escape** 2:32
13. S.C. Fights the Wigglys*/Where’s Dex?* 2:38
14. Flight to Nepal 4:40
15. Treacherous Journey 2:23
16. Transmitter*/Tunnels* 3:44
17. Dynamite 2:26
DISC TIME: 53:25

DISC 2

1. Three in a Bed 1:06
2. Monks*/New Clothes* 2:54
3. Finding Frankie 5:05
4. What Is That?*/Under Attack* 3:00
5. Manta Squadron 6:34
6. H-770-d 1:14
7. Flying Lizard 1:08
8. Tales of Nanjing* 2:17
9. Ark**/Robot Attack**/Outside TK’s Office* 6:26
10. TK’s Office* 1:19
11. A Plan**/Fight** 3:54
12. Action* 5:06
13. Back to Earth 3:20
14. Over the Rainbow (perf. Jane Monheit) 3:58
15. End Credits Suite* 5:13

BONUS TRACKS
16. Totenkopf’s Ark (album version) 5:05
17. Gramophone Source* 2:35        Étude Op. 10, No. 3, in E major (F. Chopin)
DISC TIME: 60:16
TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 113:44

* previously unreleased
** contains previously unreleased music

I had to get a copy. Shearmur did a wonderful job in revivifying the old Gold and Silver Age swashbuckling adventure spirit with this one. 

I ended up ordering from Creature Features for a signed copy. Wanted to go in person but won't be able to make it, sadly. :( This movie and score honestly means a lot to me. I always saw it as unfiltered imagination that was allowed to play before us onscreen, without giving a damn what anyone else thought or wanted. And I mean that in the best way; making a film that THEY WANTED to make. I always thought the lukewarm reception to it was unfortunate, but it seems like a lot more people are finally starting to like it more. I read somewhere than an art book was being released soon and I DEFINITELY want it.

Looking at the track list, it seems I must have been wrong about "Flying Lizard" having a film alternate. Perhaps it just had a different mix in the film? Seems likely. Otherwise it appears it has everything the lossy footwarmer had (but of course numerous cues mixed together, which I think is actually welcome for this score), apart from an album version of a track and an end credits suite. Hard to tell from the clip if it is simply an edit of tracks or if it is original material. The gramophone source music was also on the footwarmer, but this appears to be a little longer, and perhaps it will be in standard sound quality and without the "aged effect" the film/footwarmer had.

I honestly always loved the album presentation (it was a good representation of the score), but I am still glad to finally get this. Always wanted the footwarmer in lossless quality, so this official release can put it to rest. I hope more people will discover this score.

After some debating, I just decided to get it when I picked up E.T.  Why not.  Good score, and I was in the buying mood.  Almost went with a bunch of other titles that I haven't gotten around to, but needed to reign myself in.

ENTITLED NERD COMPLAINT INCOMING

I am a little disappointed with the cover art, which is basically just a crop of the poster/DVD cover from when the movie came out.  The art design for the film itself was such a highlight, it would've been cool to have something like the image of the zeppelin docking with the Empire State Building or one of a hundred memorable scenes from the film.  I'm sure original artwork is expensive to commission and this release isn't on the level of something like ET but still can't help feeling disappointed by it....

6 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well if that is your only complaint I think it is going to be OK. ;) 

Indeed!

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

This should have been the cover!

It would've been something other than literally just the DVD cover!!

skycaptain.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing this for the first time this afternoon. It's a terrific release of a really fine score. Sound-wise, it feels like the bass here is a little more present than on the original album, but there is an impressive amount of clarity and detail across the entire orchestra and it's a very spacious recording, for lack of a better word. I'm not in a position to answer a lot of detailed questions because I haven't played the 2004 album in quite some time, but I think that this new edition actually plays better as a presentation. My (and many others, I think too) big complaint was that the original release was a little exhausting because it seemed to only include the action cues, impressive as they were. The quieter, atmospheric cues serve to break up the action music, and they are just as interesting in their own way. There really isn't any filler to the score. And the notes by Daniel Schweiger are very good too, with an informative essay on the film, how Shearmur got the job and how he approached the score (I was surprised to learn he started with paper and pencil until he had the themes, presumably then moving to the computer to write the actual score) and a track-by-track breakdown covering thematic material, orchestrational details, where the music fits the narrative, etc. This--and I mean this as kindly as possible--is the one area where I have been disappointed in Matessino's Williams complete score releases, especially the Jurassic Park set; the notes are well-written but I really wish he wrote as much discussion of the music itself as he does the film in question. He does such good work in every other aspect of those projects, and the notes always feel a little thin without more about the music. But I digress. Shearmur did a good thing here, and I wish his career had gone a different direction. Maybe he'll get a shot at a Star Wars film (give him Episode IX if Williams can't do it; I would be okay with that!).

My should be here within the next couple of days. It was supposed to be here almost a week ago but LLL attached this to my E.T. order for whatever reason (which I placed separately on purpose). But it's in London now, the last I checked.

Now... where is my Waterworld? It shipped almost two weeks ago and there was no tracking update since last Monday...

Karol