Edward Shearmur's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - NEW 2CD La-La Land Edition

scallenger

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wish I had this :(  Gotta wait even longer for it since I ordered with ET.

I only got it because of a goof on my part--I didn't realize it was going on sale the same day as ET so wound up doing them as separate orders. Which LLL did not bundle (not that I am complaining, especially given the delay with ET.)

4 hours ago, Seth said:

And the notes by Daniel Schweiger are very good too, with an informative essay on the film, how Shearmur got the job and how he approached the score (I was surprised to learn he started with paper and pencil until he had the themes, presumably then moving to the computer to write the actual score) and a track-by-track breakdown covering thematic material, orchestrational details, where the music fits the narrative, etc. This--and I mean this as kindly as possible--is the one area where I have been disappointed in Matessino's Williams complete score releases, especially the Jurassic Park set; the notes are well-written but I really wish he wrote as much discussion of the music itself as he does the film in question. He does such good work in every other aspect of those projects, and the notes always feel a little thin without more about the music. But I digress. 

You will love his notes for ET if that is the case.

Liner notes are important to me too and his notes to ET are my favorite liner notes in years.

I'm definitely looking forward to what be has done with ET! The notes he wrote for the 1997 Star Wars sets are my gold standard, so if ET is anywhere near those I will be very happy.

9 hours ago, Seth said:

And the notes by Daniel Schweiger are very good too, with an informative essay on the film, how Shearmur got the job and how he approached the score (I was surprised to learn he started with paper and pencil until he had the themes, presumably then moving to the computer to write the actual score) and a track-by-track breakdown covering thematic material, orchestrational details, where the music fits the narrative, etc. This--and I mean this as kindly as possible--is the one area where I have been disappointed in Matessino's Williams complete score releases, especially the Jurassic Park set; the notes are well-written but I really wish he wrote as much discussion of the music itself as he does the film in question. He does such good work in every other aspect of those projects, and the notes always feel a little thin without more about the music.

I agree. Matessino seems to be in the camp of "let the music do the talking" for the most part with many of these new JW releases but background on the music and perhaps track-by-track break-down of some sort would have been welcome especially on the JP set.

And yes I bundled this one with E.T. so it will be some time still before I get to hear either one with the delay of E.T.'s shipping due to the manufacturing error on the discs. Oh well. If there is something film music fans know, it surely has to be patience.

It's interesting how the album track Totenkopf's Ark is basically comprised of segments from four different cues. The finale sequence of 17 minutes in total feels almost nothing like that 5-minute abridged track. But it now makes sense to include the album cut.

Also it's nice that Shearmur talks so warmly of his mentor Michael Kamen in the liner notes. Oh and he had almost 7 months to write this - no wonder the orchestrations are so intricate.

Karol