Which would you be more happy about? SW vs. IJ

Brundlefly

What would you be more happy about?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What would you be more happy about?

• The John Williams Original Star Wars Collection (7CD set, one bonus disc)
    • The John Williams Original Indiana Jones Collection (6 or 7CD set, maybe one bonus disc)

Similar poll, this time concerning the already expanded trilogies. Therefore they have probably no chance against the two other trilogies.

Both expansions have major problems, like much too long medleys, terrible sound quality (SW) and pitch issues as well as a bunch of missing cues/inserts (IJ). And both trilogies barely have any alternates or bonus tracks.

So, which set is more necessary? Sorry, I couldn't resist making this poll.

Great question. 

I vote IJ, because we already have basically all of the SW OT music, just not in ideal sound quality and programming. But there's some damn fine TOD and TLC cues that are still unreleased. 

I'l still go with Star wars because we have less % of cues in good quality and there's probably more unused/alternates. I'd be nice to hear a complete recordings of the prequels instead of cobbled up edits. I know we have a lot of the music but still some edits can't be made perfect and it's extremely annoying when you come across one. .AotC is still missing a lot of stuff. Also I could rid my hard drive of GB's of videogame music and not have to worry about editing when a new game comes out.

Edit: poll SW OT only?..Indy wins by far . SW  OT in better sound is a "bonus release" for me

SW Prequels >>> Indy> Harry Potter > SW OT

For me it's also Indiana Jones: 1. There is much more music missing (what a brilliant alliteration) and 2. I know the music far better as I know IJ since my early childhood, unlike SW.

@king markI think it's obvious, that we all want nothing more than proper releases for all trilogies, but if I had to rank them like you, it would be as follows:

Harry Potter > Indiana Jones > Star Wars Prequels > Star Wars Original

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

That is easily how new releases should be prioritized indeed, just based on getting the most music to us that we don't already have

Well one is controlled by a film studio that has worked with the specialty labels a lot.  But does the JK Rowling angle add a level of complexity that can't be overcome?

The other 3 are owned by Disney, who has done some work with specialty labels in the past, but probably considers these 10 scores to be something they'd release themselves.  But are they self-starters, or does someone like a Mike Matessino need to light a fire under their ass?  And even if he did, are Concord's IJ rights over in 2018, or not until 2023 or 2028?  Sony had SW rights from 1999 to 2016 for reference, and the Concord box came out in 2008.

26 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Potter is coming. There have been hints, there have been signs, for those who can read the stars.

:)

26 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Indy may happen but it'll be after those, methinks. Possibly whenever Indy 5 will be released (which won't be until 4 to 5 years from now, methinks).

:(

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I very nearly agree. But Indiana Jones is still Indiana Jones and therefore must take the top spot for me.

So this is a no-brainer, really. Indy all the way!

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Potter is coming. There have been hints, there have been signs, for those who can read the stars.

Is it really? I've heard the rumour often enough, but never saw any proof or even hints myself.

I'd really liked to believe that though as it would be an instant buy and make me very happy. :D

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmm... I'll stick to my previous opinion then, which is that I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't want to get my hopes up....

I want both!

But who is voting for SW, when you have to choose?! IJ is missing a lot of cues! Isn't that the most important thing that overshadows all other problems?! (I don't want to have that question answered by Thor.)

4 hours ago, Display Name said:

I want both!

But who is voting for SW, when you have to choose?! IJ is missing a lot of cues! Isn't that the most important thing that overshadows all other problems?! (I don't want to have that question answered by Thor.)

As you can see, Dis, Thor has yet to post in this thread, suggesting that, being the non-completist that he is, he has no interest in this subject.

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Is it really? I've heard the rumour often enough, but never saw any proof or even hints myself.

I'd really liked to believe that though as it would be an instant buy and make me very happy. :D

9 hours ago, Jay said:

The only "hint" is this from way back in 2013:

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Hmm... I'll stick to my previous opinion then, which is that I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't want to get my hopes up....

I'll happily tell you "Told you so!" at the end of this year!

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'll happily tell you "Told you so!" at the end of this year!

And I'll be even happier to read those words and know you're right!

I'd have no objections to that whatsoever. ;)

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Seriously though... I'll be happy with whatever comes first, whether it's SW, IJ, or HP.

Yes!

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Seriously though... I'll be happy with whatever comes first, whether it's SW, IJ, or HP.

This.

Although I want to be happy in this order:

1. SW 

2. HP

3. IJ

• 1 month later...

Star Wars got my vote.

The Indy scores are OK but for me personally I don't connect to them like I do for Star Wars. I'd rather have properly remastered versions of the OT.  Hell even complete sets for the Prequels would be more ideal.

There should be a ’neither’ option.

Honestly, I feel like I’ve bought these scores to death. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I would buy either of them in a heartbeat, but feel excitement? For what? Lapti Nek? Desert Chase?

Unless they dig up an original LSO recording of a concert arrangement of say Lando’s Palace or Marion’s Theme, these releases won’t get my blood pumping.

I would rather buy a 7 disc set of the SW prequels, or a 2 disc release of KOTCS. You should add that to the poll as well, right before the ‘neither’ option.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Now SW is winning! Guys it's 5 minutes of missing music versus 40 minutes of missing music!

I think people are just tired of their stitched together fan edits, which now require 3 different sources (4 if you rip audio from the film itself) for optimal quality. It results in a hodge-podge of varying audio quality, epitomised by the awful-sounding ROTJ SE.

So currently our options are settling for a fan edit of all available sources (time consuming to assemble), the edited and incomplete OSTs/Anthologies with the best SQ, or the complete SEs with poor SQ.

The scores are long overdue for the modern Mike Matessino treatment, using the best available scanning technology to preserve these scores before they're lost to time.

I'd go with the Indiana Jones scores. Those scores complete and chronological is one of my holy grails still.

I am near heretical in thinking that the previous OT Star Wars releases are still quite OK. But I would not refuse new versions of these either.

Yes, for the record, I voted Indy. The last expansion, noble effort it may be, was a mess. Incorrect takes, incorrect cues (alternates instead of film versions), missing inserts & sweeteners, distracting and unnecessary reverb, tapes transferred at the wrong speed, plus trademark Williams microedits!

At least the Star Wars trilogy is available complete in some form. Indy sure ain't!