Rate Independence Day!

Josh500

Independence Day   

31 members have voted

1. 1. How would rate the David Arnold score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I don't own the soundtrack, so I cannot judge.
  2. 2. How would you rate the Roland Emmerich movie?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Never seen the movie.

On 8/29/2017 at 0:14 PM, Sally Spectra said:

It reaches beyond whichever certain cues are my favourite. The score as a whole touched me in a way that not even Williams, Goldsmith, Elfman etc. could achieve while I was growing up. The rich orchestrations, complex harmonies, catchy themes and elements of suspense and pay-off give this score a catharsis unlike any other, and consequently sparked my unwavering interest in film scores.

I always liked the "movie music", as a child, but ID4 came out at the right time when I was 11, my interest in planes and aliens was at its height, and the score hit all the right notes. It was a perfect (fire)storm.

I was 15 when it came out, saw the film 12 times theatrically (which was easy...$5 matinee prices and a summer of nothing to do made going to see a favorite movie both fun and a good escape from the heat) and like you, iD4 cemented my love of film music. 

29 minutes ago, NL197 said:

I was 15 when it came out, saw the film 12 times theatrically (which was easy...$5 matinee prices and a summer of nothing to do made going to see a favorite movie both fun and a good escape from the heat) and like you, iD4 cemented my love of film music. 

I saw it three times during its initial theatrical run, and once more when my local cinema did a weekend encore matinee in 2000.

The second time I saw it was at a newly opened cinema multiplex that sported the first real Dolby Digital sound system in the local region. And I'll always associate the movie with that new car smell that the cinema had on its first day of business.

Love reading these nostalgic recollections! I was 19 years old when it premiered, so a bit older than some of you, but that's still a time in my life to which I have a strong connection. First year of living away from my parents, in the capital of Norway, and the special 70mm screening on the humungous screen in the big sports/concert auditorium I mentioned earlier. Audience in the thousands, cheering and laughing and being thrilled.

Score works, movie is boring. Hilariously, if I'm given the choice, I would actually go with Spielberg's WotW over this one.

(The great nineties alien movie might be The End of Evangelion. Hooooly shiiiit. There might be other movies that I'm forgetting or missing here as well.)

I kind of wish Pacific Rim could have had a score like Independence Day. That one movie I did like.

9 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

ID Regurgitate is the boring one.

I think I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed RESURGENCE. Sure, it has its flaws, and it's nowhere near the original, but there were many redeeming features (like Jeff Goldblum, who can play a potato and I would still get immense pleasure from it).

Its crippling flaw, aside from its poor aesthetic, is it lacks any sense of impending doom that permeated the first film. In the 1996 movie, the characters are at constant risk of losing, and you feel the dread that they do. All of that is completely absent in Resergeate.

Not to mention all the heart has been zapped away from the automatic plot-generator style script.

And the aliens, despite their ships being ridiculously larger this time, just didn't seem as menacing. David Arnold's alien attack theme from the first film might have alleviated that, but Kloser and Wanker made the baffling decision to adapt it into a heroic theme -- dafuq?!

My theory is that Bill Pullman was well aware they were making a shit show and he was highly intoxicated during filming. That would explain his bizarre seemingly drunk performance.