Sign in to follow this  
Manakin Skywalker

Why does every form of entertainment suck now?

Recommended Posts

Anyone else notice that pretty much all movies, TV shows, and video games are all just the same copy-and-pasted bullshit over and over again? No decent stories, no unique look, no soul... just the same stupid shit. Same with a lot of film music too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically everything from the last 10 years (not literally, obviously). The vast majority of films seem to be flops. They all look the same and have the same basic generic stories. Every action movie looks like a freaking Marvel film. In terms of generic, soulless film music, Transformers is a great example. It's basically the pinnacle of generic film music. Most of the Marvel films sound the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone else notice that pretty much all movies, TV shows, and video games are all just the same copy-and-pasted bullshit over and over again? No decent stories, no unique look, no soul... just the same stupid shit. Same with a lot of film music too.

 

No you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Bullshit" is an emotive, and subjective stance. Remember; "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom-fighter".

Personally, I have watched many TV shows, this century, but I have taken a serious interest in only three of them.

As for films, I can count on the fingers of one hand, the truly great motion pictures, since 2000.

I no longer go to the cinema (I prefer the detachment and comfort that comes from watching at home) but I would say that popular cinema seems to be superhero stuff, Disney remakes, and endless, endless, endless, fucking endless sequels, prequels, and spin-offs.

Cookie-cutter movies, for the cookie-cutter generation.

It seems that any film that actually tries to present a story told in an intelligent, and entertaining manner (eg. SILENCE) is royally stamped-on.

Of course, the flip-side of the argument, is that these blockbusters make a lot of money, and seem to please a lot of people. Yer pays yer money...

 

 

27 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Basically everything from the last 10 years (not literally, obviously). The vast majority of films seem to be flops. They all look the same and have the same basic generic stories. Every action movie looks like a freaking Marvel film. In terms of generic, soulless film music, Transformers is a great example. It's basically the pinnacle of generic film music. Most of the Marvel films sound the same.

 

 

Manakin, if you want to know my "take" on this, please feel free to read my post in the MILLENNIAL FILMS thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If every TV show from the last 20 years sucks then I'm afraid you're going down a path I can't follow.

 

Yes, movies are for kids, games are always the same, the pop charts are inhabited by starlets who think screaming at the top of your longs equals emotion, but TV has been my sanctuary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What will you do when TV falls too, Cremers? What then?

 

Then I'll rewatch the old shows from the golden age of television. It's bound to happen. After all, what goes up must come down.

 

Or I'll do a lobotomy on myself and watch The Mentalist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone else notice that pretty much all movies, TV shows, and video games are all just the same copy-and-pasted bullshit over and over again? No decent stories, no unique look, no soul... just the same stupid shit. Same with a lot of film music too.

 

It's called "ageing"!

 

(and I'm not only referring to us as users, but to media themselves as well)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah, I remember you said that one was the last you tried. It's 7 years old now.

 

I did watch the first two seasons of The Flash, but Season 3 lost me. Season 1 of Supergirl was alright, but I struggled with Season 2 and gave up. And I couldn't even finish Season 1 of Gotham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

 

I did watch the first two seasons of The Flash, but Season 3 lost me. Season 1 of Supergirl was alright, but I struggled with Season 2 and gave up. And I couldn't even finish Season 1 of Gotham.

 

There's capes in Game of Thrones too. Maybe try something without capes. Capes could be the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

If every TV show from the last 20 years sucks then I'm afraid you're going down a path I can't follow.

 

Sorry, Alex, but at no time did I say that "every TV show from the past 20 years sucks".

I made no comment on the quality (or lack of) TV shows. All I said was that I took a deep interest in only 3 of them.

Many people (and I suspect that you are one of them ) prefer TV to cinema (the long-form format offering a more in-depth experience, compared with cinema) and that's great. I'll always be a cineaste, but I'll still watch TV when I fancy.

 

All you need is a TV show. That, and a radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Richard said:

 

Sorry, Alex, but at no time did I say that "every TV show from the past 20 years sucks".

 

This is typical Cremers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richard said:

 

Sorry, Alex, but at no time did I say that "every TV show from the past 20 years sucks".

 

 

I was responding to Manakin Skywalker's thread. Why do you think it's always about you? 

 

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone else notice that pretty much all movies, TV shows, and video games are all just the same copy-and-pasted bullshit over and over again? No decent stories, no unique look, no soul... just the same stupid shit. Same with a lot of film music too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Richard, but Alex was clearly responding to the original post, and not yours, despite his post appearing directly after yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Lol, stop acting like you try shows!

 

This is the new Jerry Drax we're talking about here! He only watches Woody Allen movies and artsy fartsy stuff now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I agree with movies. there are no event movies anymore, the type that are "life changing" like Star Wars, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark,Alien etc... and turn you into a geek seeking every information about how they made it, has iconic characters that make you life long fans. The "magic" is pretty much gone

 

As for videogames I do think were in some sort of golden age right now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can't tell me something like Guardians of the Galaxy is the equivalent of Raiders of the Lost Ark to "younger people"

 

Even though some of us are older were still movie geeks and would pick up on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Do you include porn in every? Have you seen the innovations and production quality there?! 

 

Porn? Don't need it. I have what's called "an imagination".

 

 

 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Sorry Richard, but Alex was clearly responding to the original post, and not yours, despite his post appearing directly after yours.

 

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

 

I was responding to Manakin Skywalker's thread. Why do you think it's always about you? 

 

 

 

 

In that case, please accept my apologies, for any mix-up. 

(edit) actually, I'm not quite sure. Alex's post was, according to the JWfan clock, made a clear two hours after mine. Clarification would have been helpful.

 

 

 

 

 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He's a legendary swordsman!

 

He likes to keep his tip up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3D gimmick was fun when it first started. The graphics improved, but they were still stylized enough where the games were playable. These days, the image is too realistic and elaborate. It's so dense, there are so many things going on, I just get confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

They're more and more like interactive movies now. But is that what I want from a video game experience? More and more I retreat to my NES, SNES and Mega Drive just to get some side scrolling stimulation. That was video gaming.

 

 

Only some I consider "interactive movies" , like the Tomb Raider series and Uncharted being good examples

 

And I don't play those

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

The graphics improved, but they were still stylized enough where the games were playable. These days, the image is too realistic and elaborate. 

 

Realism and shooting people ... Most of mankind is into that.

 

I'm still waiting for something like Journey or Flower.

 

Journey-tribute-1024x640.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this