Alf Clausen fired from The Simpsons

Alex

Good luck to him but his axing was simply a brazen attempt to cut costs, probably due to skyrocketing salaries for the voice actors. They're within their rights to drop him and go with a cheaper option, even if it's a thoroughly shitty way to treat a show veteran (and a sad reflection of the times and the way these music houses are putting composers out of work and driving salaries down).

Doesn't change the fact this garbage should've ended well over a decade ago. Depressingly, the show has been terrible for twice as long as it was ever great.

They're at season 28, no? Seasons 3-9 were gold, but yes, barely a quarter of the show's entire run -- which has been thoroughly awful for decades now.

32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They're at season 28, no? Seasons 3-9 were gold, but yes, barely a quarter of the show's entire run -- which has been thoroughly awful for decades now.

Seasons 1 and 2 were great too. Why do people keep putting those two down?

I haven't watched an episode of The Simpsons in years and I haven't thought about one in months.  They need to put it on an (accessible) streaming platform if they want it to stay relevant.  (having one or two of the shitty recent seasons on Hulu doesn't count)

I hope Alf sues them for all they're worth.

Wouldn't the show go to Disney+ with Disney acquiring Fox?

The residuals must be huge when sold globally, surely the only reason they're still making new episodes.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Union regulations. The reuse fees for TV music are very expensive. Its often cheaper to record a new score. It might even be required.

So what's their new strategy if they can't re-use what he already wrote?

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Get a Zimmer clone!

Literally, they hired an offshoot of RCP, a small team called Bleeding Fingers...

On 8/6/2019 at 4:06 PM, crumbs said:

Doesn't change the fact this garbage should've ended well over a decade ago. Depressingly, the show has been terrible for twice as long as it was ever great.

Bullshit. It has been far above average twice as long as it's been okay. Despite its quality drop it has never reached the same level as Family Guy or American Dad for at least two decades. Peoples use to bash it, just because it pales in comparison to the first ten seasons - well, everything does.

I haven't watched this since the movie so I really don't know what the quality drop has been since then.

But I can imagine the cast probably want loads of money to continue by this point, whereas pretty much no one will notice if the music is done by someone else.

Anything that endures for as long as The Simpsons is going to wane in quality and interest, unless there's a shake-up every now and then. 

The only show that could last in perfect glory is Star Trek: The Next Generation.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Hardly, season 6 was a step down from 5 and season 7 has some pretty poor stuff.

Wrong! It's all great!

I think some of you are talking about Star Trek TNG, and some of you are talking about The Simpsons.  More of you should be talking about The Simpsons!  Stu - season 7 is an all-timer!

On 8/8/2019 at 8:17 PM, Brundlefly said:

Bullshit. It has been far above average twice as long as it's been okay. Despite its quality drop it has never reached the same level as Family Guy or American Dad for at least two decades. Peoples use to bash it, just because it pales in comparison to the first ten seasons - well, everything does.

American Dad is far, far better than both Family Guy and The Simpsons (season ~12 onwards). The show has actual jokes, writers who care, and Roger.

I saw a couple of recent episodes of Family Guy on a plane last year and enjoyed them. I've talked to people who don't like the randomness of a lot of the 'like that time I....' bits, but I find them really funny.

I think the fact that it's a more adult comedy than The Simpsons works in its favour as they can do more.

11 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I saw a couple of recent episodes of Family Guy on a plane last year and enjoyed them. I've talked to people who don't like the randomness of a lot of the 'like that time I....' bits, but I find them really funny.

I think the fact that it's a more adult comedy than The Simpsons works in its favour as they can do more.

The only time I watch Family Guy is on planes haha, there’s always about 3 episodes on there.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:48 AM, Disco Stu said:

Season 7 is probably my favorite.  That or 8. The Oakley-Weinstein showrunner seasons are the peak of the whole series

I dunno: Hurricane Ned... Poochie...

On 8/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, crumbs said:

Wouldn't the show go to Disney+ with Disney acquiring Fox?

The residuals must be huge when sold globally, surely the only reason they're still making new episodes.

The Fox network renewed the show for two more seasons right before Disney finalized the purchase of the Fox TV and movie assets -- Disney is legally obligated to keep "The Simpsons" on the Fox network (which now pays a licensing fee) before they can move it to ABC or Disney+.

Besides, they make more money off merchandising sales than anything else. That's why it's still going.

• 6 months later...

Here's the recording of a cue from the episode with the Kevin Feige cameo that will parody the Avengers. Whoever is scoring the show right now did manage to capture Silvestri's signature sound.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Here's the recording of a cue from the episode with the Kevin Feige cameo that will parody the Avengers.

This sentence alone sums up everything wrong with modern Simpsons. A show two decades past its use-by date.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Lol. If it's a crime to have others do the work while you slap your name on it then I can think of another composer that might be in trouble...

Lol yes. It’s a pretty hilarious argument considering what goes on with nearly every composer in Hollywood.