E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

15 minutes ago, Incanus said:

By slapping a sticker that says so on the product cover.

I thought so. I'll pass on this, and I have to admit I don't really understand the excitement surrounding yet another edition of the same music. Over the years I've owned enough music from E.T. to last me a lifetime (and some of my children's, who now know the score well). One of the greatest scores ever written, possibly Williams' very finest. Well owned.

Regarding the difference between LLL/4K BluRay - There was a lot of discussion regarding who remastered the BluRay OST, and I simply wondered if the LLL will feature a different remaster?

I realize that LLL will feature more than the OST.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's alright

Yeah that finale especially is OK. Quite decent actually.

I can't see these releases anymore. Great that it's remastered, great that some JWfans like it, but is there really nothing more exciting on the horizon than the remaster of 25 years old Scores that have been out for years and years already?

Film music is dead.

2 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I can't see these releases anymore. Great that it's remastered, great that some JWfans like it, but is there really nothing more exciting on the horizon than the remaster of 25 years old Scores that have been out for years and years already?

Film music is dead.

I thank you for that pithy assessment Georg. Duly noted.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

No matter how good it is, it can't be better than Shore's "Lord of the Rings."

It is the best thing since the invention of sliced bread I tell you!

6 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

No matter how good it is, it can't be better than Shore's "Lord of the Rings."

It's not a competition, Nick.  Despite the proliference of those insipid polls on this board.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Jim Titus has done every one of the LLL / JW / SS expansions so far, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do these two as well!

He is unequivocally the best in the business, hands down.

He just needs a dentist.

22 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I can't see these releases anymore. Great that it's remastered, great that some JWfans like it, but is there really nothing more exciting on the horizon than the remaster of 35 years old Scores that have been out for years and years already?

Corrected.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

The cover doesn't say "Expanded" but 2 discs and such has to mean it's expanded, right? I'm not just being an idiot?

I guess the "35th Anniversary" and "Expanded" together would be some sort of pleonasm.

I listened to the OST earlier for the first time in awhile. Damn I love this score. Can't wait although it might be a Xmas present so I'll have to wait awhile.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Film music is dead.

I know it's a curmudgeon response, but I sort of agree. I don't know why people get so excited about a couple of extra cues, especially when the final outlay to finally obtain them has been so stupidly expensive. Is there ever a limit to the amount of soundtrack editions people will buy? I don't think there is.

Something like this is really our only chance to get it. The fact that it's called "Remastered Edition" is pretty worrying. We didn't need it remastered, we needed it complete.

Just now, Evil-Lyn said:

Something like this is really our only chance to get it. The fact that it's called "Remastered Edition" is pretty worrying. We didn't need it remastered, we needed it complete.

We'll just have to keep our collective sphincters clenched until we know what's in there.  I concur that the wording on the cover is a concern until then.

15 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

The OST is all that matters.

Which we will likely find on Disc 2!

I hope.

Unless, there was some weird thing about not competing with the one included in the blu ray box set.  I don't know how the industry works all the time, but it's usually safe to assume the worst.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

The original LP that came out in 1982 featured 8 tracks, only 3 of which (Three Million Light Years From Home, E.T. Phone Home, and Adventure On Earth) were from the actual film score;  The other 5 tracks (Abandoned And Pursued, E.T. And Me, E.T.'s Halloween, Flying, Over The Moon) were special compositions JW recorded specifically for the album.

The "expanded" CDs that came out in 1996 and 2002 focused ONLY on the film score, dropping all five of his great album-only compositions.  Additionally, neither one of those releases were complete; They differ from the version of cues chosen for the film in many spots, and never even included all the cues written for the film to begin with on top of losing all the great album arrangements from 1982.

This, finally, pairs the COMPLETE film score with the grammy winning 1982 album material, PLUS whatever alternates and other goodies have been uncovered.

It's a win-win for everyone, especially when you remember that while you are approaching 40 and have owned CD versions that came out before for most of your life, there are new JW fans every minute, right?  That 1982 OST has been Out of Print on CD for twenty years now, and now, finally, people will be able to own it again, AS WELL AS the complete film score, all together in one package with better sound quality than has ever been possible before.  There's nothing to complain about here.

I'm not complaining. Genuinely interested in why people who already purchased previous multiple releases would want to buy this. 

I "upgrade" previous releases all the time - even if it's just inclusion of a few dumb bonus carols like LLL's Home Alone 2, or a bump in sound quality, like the Danny Elfman Batman Collection or the 2012 reissue of the Witches of Eastwick OST.

This one will have completely unreleased music (especially for someone like me that doesn't listen to iso score rips, leaks, bootlegs, etc).  That's a pretty substantial upgrade!