E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm not complaining. Genuinely interested in why people who already purchased previous multiple releases would want to buy this. 

And did my response not answer your question? 

Listening to a remixed, remastered version of a beloved score, for me, is like listening for the first time. So yes, bring it on improved and expanded versions of scores I bought  3 times before that I'll buy it for the 4th time. :)

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

You cannot pre-order.

You can order it when it goes up for sale Tuesday, September 12th, at 12:00 PST (3PM EST) at:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/

Or in my case 2pm.

Is the price known yet.

I've never actually owned any edition, honestly. I've owned the film itself on DVD and Blu, but never the soundtrack. I have however had a fan edit downloaded on my HD for years, which was my go-to when wanting to listen to the score (had both complete score using various sources and the album). Clearly this will have more, and in better quality of course, which is enough reason to finally own it. That and the gorgeous cover artwork, which I have never seen before.

I remember the first time I ever heard some of its music apart from the film, "Flying Theme" and "Adventure On Earth". My (now estranged) Aunt and Uncle were into film music; my parents and sister never were, so I think it is because of them that I am. They knew even as a little kid I was into movies like Jurassic Park, and they made me a cassette tape featuring their own mix of film scores they compiled I assume from recording CD tracks onto it with their tape/CD deck. Those were the days. I think I still have it somewhere: from what I remember it features music from Backdraft, Apollo 13, Edward Scissorhands, Star Wars, E.T., and Jurassic Park. Hearing all of this music apart from films I had seen and never seen for the first time finally made me realize at that young age why I connected so well with those movies on a level I didn't understand. While Jurassic Park will always be associated with the film, oddly enough when I hear E.T. I think more about that cassette and how much it meant. It's too bad I never really got to know them both for making it, not long after I got it. Part of me wonders if I would have connected with them better than my own immediate family.

12 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Is the price known yet.

They haven't announced a price, but I would guess it will be $29.99.

It's not a win for me unless it has the E.T. Adventure music. I've wanted that more than any unreleased music from the film score since I was a little squirt. It's better than everything.

6 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

It's not a win for me unless it has the E.T. Adventure music. I've wanted that more than any unreleased music from the film score since I was a little squirt. It's better than everything.

You mean, this?

I gotta admit, ET is a score I listen to very rarely these days.If I do listen to it, I enjoy listening to "Adventures on Earth" and "Over the Moon" on The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CD. 

But will I get this? Hell yes! This looks like a gorgeous, perfect, and ultimate set.

Anybody know if the OS album is included? I'd say probably yes.

2 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Something like this is really our only chance to get it. The fact that it's called "Remastered Edition" is pretty worrying. We didn't need it remastered, we needed it complete.

We desperately need a remaster. The OST recording deserves a regularly available release from the digital master (assuming it sounds as good as the great sounding, but noisy, analogue album), and the full film score needs a decent sounding release. If Adventure on Earth on the album is indeed from the same material as the full score, and the album version of it sounds as good as the rest of the album (I assume it does, but I haven't listened to it in a long time), then the difference between the latest release and the new one will be night and day.

Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of the cover art. It's looks nice - very nice in fact -, but compared to the classic "ouch" and Moon covers, I can't help finding it rather un-iconic.

58 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

No. Well, yes, but no. It's music he did for the waiting line, which you can't hear at all in that video. I don't even know if they play it anymore.

This is one:

Wow, I've never seen that photo of Williams looking at a model of the ride.

Wow, Lyn, that's really nice.

6 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I think the OST and 1996 CD sound great. My only issue was with the 2002 version, which Shawn Murphy jacked up the bass and treble.

I wonder if BB is involved with this new set, if only as some sort of advisor.

"The Botanicus Theme" is cool, it's the first time I hear it.

To me, it sounds like an E.T. cue, warped together with the soundscape of Dracula and ROTJ.

It doesn't pull my heart strings though since it's not in the movie, but it definitely adds to the E.T. body of work and would sit nicely along the OST or the film music tracks.

That being said, I've survived 20 years since I first bought the E.T. OST without it, and will survive another 20 if it's not on the new set.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

You must have missed the news that Bruce Botnick remastered the original 1982 OST for the new Blu Ray gift set.

55 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Don't have that one.  The original album suits my needs. 

So you have the complete A.I. set but not the complete JP set? Interesting.

But I can understand that, since for me A.I. was the score that was most in need of an expansion, but I couldn't imagine that such a new score would get such a treatment that soon.

In general, there are expansions like E.T., which are just like the cherry on the cake that you were missing, whereas there are expansions like A.I., where half of the cake was missing.

EDIT:

Am I the only one who is reminded of the Explorers artwork, when looking at this new E.T. cover?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I'm hoping for a tech talk page by BB in the booklet.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I am not.

Well damn.

E.T. was one of the best complete presentations of a score that wasn't completely released if you knew where to look. We already have everything in good sound quality plus alternates and a live recording of the 20th Anniversary version. Just not the Universal Studios ride. It's not that this isn't a good release, I'd just like it to be great.

Now, after these two releases there is surprisingly few non-Indy-and-SW scores left from the 20th century:

Dracula

The Witches of Eastwick

Born on the Fourth of July

Hook

JFK

Nixon

Amistad

That's it, IMO.

The "Botanicus Theme" (composed in what, 1990?), and which I never heard btw, has nothing to do on this set.

Like I would never want to see any music composed or arranged for a Star Wars Tour on the expanded sets of SW scores.

The E.T. 35th Anniversary LLL set should be about the movie score + The OST album. PERIOD.

Don't mix apples and oranges.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

This, finally, pairs the COMPLETE film score with the grammy winning 1982 album material, PLUS whatever alternates and other goodies have been uncovered.

Meh to the pairing for convenience's sake, but any unheard/unreleased bonuses I'll be most interested in.

3 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Cool collectible cover art.

It's very nice.

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The "Botanicus Theme" (composed in what, 1990?), and which I never heard btw, has nothing to do on this set.

Like I would never want to see any music composed or arranged for a Star Wars Tour on the expanded sets of SW scores.

The E.T. 35th Anniversary LLL set should be about the movie score + The OST album. PERIOD.

Don't mix apples and oranges.

The problem is, there's no other logical place to release something like that.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The problem is, there's no other logical place to release something like that.

On a compilation or in a box set. 

The truth is that a piece of music recorded in 1990 has nothing to do on a E.T. score release.

After that, why not put the story book narrated by Michael Jackson as a bonus too? beeeeerk.

In a compilation or box set? When the fuck do we ever get those? The odds of getting some other release that contains the E.T. attraction music are so slim. Frankly, I'd be astonished if it happened. These days, we're lucky to get anything obscure. Of course it fits here. Why not?

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

After that, why not put the story book narrated by Michael Jackson as a bonus too? beeeeerk.

Excellent idea!  In fact La La Land should have used this 'iconic' cover art for their new release.

Can someone do a mock-up of this thing without MJ's teeth, La La Land stylee?  I'm looking at you, @BloodBoal!

Michael-Jackson-narrates-E.T.-the-Extra-

I can see it now:

E.T.: Artificial Intelligence - The Motion Picture

The Athenian Edition