E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

59 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

That cover looks exactly like the movie. The E.T. cover shows Elliot with his bike on a cliff in Porter Ranch watching a spaceship, which never happens. I don't dislike it, but it looks like the cover of the junior novelization or something.

True, but I think the cover captures the sprit and wonder of E.T. nicely. I've never thought album or movie poster artwork need be that literal, in fact I think there's a trend towards making these things too literal that's a little uninteresting.

When I saw that cover I immediately thought it fit the film and music perfectly, so on that level it works (at least for me).

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I love that cover, but I find the head and back hair of Elliot a little bit fake, maybe it's because I don't see all the shades of dark on this low image.

What do you mean it looks fake?  It's a painting, not a photo.

1 hour ago, Evil-Lyn said:

E.T. is about wealthy white people in a wealthy white southern California neighborhood.

You couldn't be more wrong.

It's about alienation, loneliness, and the disintegration of the family unit, from the inside.

59 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Are they wealthy or just well off?

Neither. Dad's in Mexico, with Sally, and mom has three mouths to feed (not to mention regretting buying Ragu!).

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What do you mean it looks fake?  It's a painting...

...and its still flopped.

Michael Pangrazio, if I'm not mistaken...but it could be Chris Evans...

Actually, it could be John Alvin.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What do you mean it looks fake?  It's a painting, not a photo.

Yes and it's a part less well done.

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Neither. Dad's in Mexico, with Sally, and mom has three mouths to feed (not to mention regretting buying Ragu!).

Three? That older one, forgotten his name (Penis Breath or something?) looked old enough to work a casual job and feed himself.

2 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

There are so many unreleased scores. So many you can check up on and add to your collection, but they keep you hangin' on.

It took me so long to figure out what song he was singing!  I couldn't get it from googling (this was many years ago) and of course later I figured out it's because he messes up the lyrics!

For those who don't know, it's "Accidents Will Happen" by Elvis Costello.  Great song.

"People who Died" is heard on the radio! 

Seriously, diagenic sounds rarely find themselves in a JW soundtrack unless it was specially recorded at the session.

I was surprised when I was watching CE3K the other night while waiting for the panel discussion to start to hear More Than A Feeling by Boston in the film!  I had completely forgotten that was in there

Oddly, the end credits of the film didn't include it in its music section

1 hour ago, Sally Spectra said:

Three? That older one, forgotten his name (Penis Breath or something?) looked old enough to work a casual job and feed himself.

He's called Michael, and he's still in school. There's that wonderful (handheld?) shot of him on the school bus, looking rather worried.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was surprised when I was watching CE3K the other night while waiting for the panel discussion to start to hear More Than A Feeling by Boston in the film!  I had completely forgotten that was in there

Oddly, the end credits of the film didn't include it in its music section

Is that heard, as the lights go out, all over town?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

For those who don't know, it's "Accidents Will Happen" by Elvis Costello.  Great song.

#Nothin' but health shit# :)

BTW, the cover art isn't "flopped" Richard, it's the same as its shown in the ILM book

sfx02078.jpg

This book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345322630

The random image I quickly found online and posted on page 1 is the one that is flopped

Looks like they combined two images together, yea.  I think the result is ace! :up:

I asked MM about the cover and he said its absolutely correct and there will be more information about it after the release is out.

What is all the bitching about? Or is a few questions being interpreted as as bitching? Doesn't everyone - at least - recignize that the cover looks great?

Nobody really disagrees with the cover, right? People are just curious about its origin. Right?

I quite like the cover art; it has a minimalist charm that fits comfortably within the context of the family scenes. After revisiting the film a while back, I wondered what its legacy would be if it hadn't been the highest-grossing film of all time (back then)

4 hours ago, Richard said:

He's called Michael, and he's still in school. There's that wonderful (handheld?) shot of him on the school bus, looking rather worried.

People work casual jobs while at school. He looked about 16 or 17.

He looked like a weirdo when the 20th Anniversary version came out. Nowadays, he looks like a normal enough dude.

Robert-Macnaughton.jpg

According to Wikipedia, he's a mail man. Makes sense. He never struck me as an actor. He was really very good in E.T., but I figure it was just fortuitous Spielberg casting. It didn't matter that he wasn't an actor, he was perfect for the role. Sort of like when James Cameron cast what's-his-name as John Connor, only he kept acting in things for no good reason.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He was just learning to drive, he was definitely 14 maybe 15

Yeah, but until ET arrived, he'd never driven forward.

3 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Sort of like when James Cameron cast what's-his-name as John Connor, only he kept acting in things for no good reason.

The nose candy finished-off his career.

9 hours ago, rough cut said:

What is all the bitching about? Or is a few questions being interpreted as as bitching? Doesn't everyone - at least - recignize that the cover looks great?

Nobody really disagrees with the cover, right? People are just curious about its origin. Right?

People are not allowed to not like the cover?

9 hours ago, rough cut said:

It's the JWFan dance. The cover is fine, but there still needs to be a five page debate about it first or the ritual will never be finalised. People always need to get that stuff out of their systems with these things. It's a catharsis.

@publicistI can't wait for the day. The thread on JWFan with a deluge of posts from people suddenly complimenting the score now that they have it in complete form. My God. It'll be beautiful.

The Always track on the S/W Collaboration is easily the least essential piece on the album.  It's too bad it's the second track.  Stops the album dead.

This is me laying the groundwork for turning around and calling it a masterpiece when it's expanded. But I also do think that.