E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

14 minutes ago, king mark said:

It's fair to say it on most JWfans "Most wanted Unreleased Track" list

It's been discussed to death on the forum  so it's a pretty big deal it's not on the release

Like the Hook set not having the Feast insert

Again, why does Williams have any say in what goes in these releases? The scores aren't his property. The music is owned by the film studios.

If the ride music isn't included, then I think the producers have to address why.  They can't just not acknowledge it.

Though again, let's wait until Friday when we know for sure to start complaining about its absence.

Just now, Evil-Lyn said:

Williams is an employee of the film industry.

Williams is an artist and one of the most successful, respected, and influential (film) composers in history! 

Just now, Evil-Lyn said:

Why don't you go make a poll about it?

Again, entitled and stupid

Just my point, exactly! ROTFLMAO

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Poll:

Is Rose Dawson...

A) Entitled
B) Stupid
C) Both
D) None of the above
E) Some of the above
F) Selina Kyle
G) Drax

You forgot arrogant and obnoxious. I take offense to the last one. I'm pretentious. There's a difference.

God, why don't you let LLL publish this bloody track list sooner, for I am tired of these pessimistic rumors! We are complaining about things that are likely to be non-existent!

Honestly, it would be a huge disappointment, if the complete score wasn't included on the first disc. Then E.T. would be worse than Poltergeist II which needed JUST four releases to get a complete chronological main programm.

30 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Honestly, it would be a huge disappointment, if the complete score wasn't included on the first disc. Then E.T. would be worse than Poltergeist II which needed JUST four releases to get a complete chronological main programm.

At this point, there's just no way of knowing for sure, of course, but I think it's pretty certain that it's complete. Otherwise why bother at all? And it'd really be a major balls-up if we finally got a 2-CD album of ET, and the score still wasn't complete!

The only thing that's completely uncertain is whether the Adventure Ride music is included, and which alternates are included.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

At this point, there's just no way of knowing for sure, of course, but I think it's pretty certain that it's complete. Otherwise why bother at all? And it'd really be a major balls-up if we finally got a 2-CD album of ET, and the score still wasn't complete!

The only thing that's completely uncertain is whether the Adventure Ride music is included, and which alternates are included.

Well, but it would be annoying if the 3 missing cues weren't in the main program.

I can very well imagine that "The Cornfield" is on the second disc as bonus, because "it would interrupt the musical flow". Such decisions have been made on former Intrada complete scores.

On the Deep Rising expansion the purely percussive cue "Wild Drums" was put to the bonus section.

On the Congo expansion the purely percussive cue "Collapsed City" was put to the bonus section.

Can you see the pattern? Nevertheless, it has to be mentioned that these cues were also completely unused.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

I can very well imagine that "The Cornfield" is on the second disc as bonus, because "it would interrupt the musical flow". Such decisions have been made on former Intrada complete scores.

On the Deep Rising expansion the purely percussive cue "Wild Drums" was put to the bonus section.

On the Congo expansion the purely percussive cue "Collapsed City" was put to the bonus section.

Can you see the pattern? Nevertheless, it has to be mentioned that these cues were also completely unused.

This is LLL so their decisions can differ quite a bit from Intrada in terms of album construction.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

This is LLL so their decisions can differ quite a bit from Intrada in terms of album construction.

In what way? (not doubting your statement, just asking out of curiosity)

E.g. they might present such "interruptions to musical flow" as the Cornfield in the main score programme of the score and even get away with it because Matessino could convince Williams it is a good move. The 2002 album had both the atmospheric Main Title and the Bait for E.T. as part of the programme so I don't think there is too much concern that they have been relegated to the bonus section of this new release.

And even Intrada's MO isn't always the same. E.g. the percussion source cue in the Ghost and the Darkness is retained in the main score programme and combined with an underscore cue.

It's blurry but one of the few track titles on disc 2 that I'm confident about is The Cornfield.

No idea what tracks 14 and 18 are though, which seem to be one-word track titles and have no designation in brackets of being an alternate/film version.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's blurry but one of the few track titles on disc 2 that I'm confident about is The Cornfield.

No idea what tracks 14 and 18 are though, which seem to be one-word track titles and have no designation in brackets of being an alternate/film version.

Tomorrow we'll know, won't we. Wasn't the track list coming on Friday?

But I have full confidence that this will be as complete as a complete score can get, i.e. the full score presentation with film versions of the cues in the main programme and then alternate material and OST on the second disc.

Have there been among the more recent JW expansions instances where Williams would have relegated material from the film score to the bonus section that wasn't source music or music not composed by him (e.g. the Bikerhounds music from A.I.)?

I know that Rosewood had the gospel songs on disc 2 of the presentation for the obvious lack of disc space on disc 1, Hook was incomplete and done before Matessino's time. Jaws had the short Typewriter chord relegated to the extras (an Intrada release). But other than that I can't think of deviations in the presentations of the actual film score material in the main programmes of these scores.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Tomorrow we'll know, won't we. Wasn't the track list coming on Friday?

But I have full confidence that this will be as complete as a complete score can get, i.e. the full score presentation with film versions of the cues in the main programme and then alternate material and OST on the second disc.

Have there been among the more recent JW expansions instances where Williams would have relegated material from the film score to the bonus section that wasn't source music or music not composed by him (e.g. the Bikerhounds music from A.I.)?

I know that Rosewood had the gospel songs on disc 2 of the presentation for the obvious lack of disc space on disc 1, Hook was incomplete and done before Matessino's time. Jaws had the short Typewriter chord relegated to the extras (an Intrada release). But other than that I can't think of deviations in the presentations of the actual film score material in the main programmes of these scores.

I hope so, that the days of "Hook" and "Indiana Jones" are ultimately over.:beerchug:

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I hope so, that the days of "Hook" and "Indiana Jones" are ultimately over.:beerchug:

Hear hear! :beerchug:

14 minutes ago, phbart said:

The Cornfield cue on the 2002 CD??? 🤔

Ah sorry I remembered that the cue was on the 2002 CD but it isn't. I have been listening to a complete score edit of this music so long I keep forgetting which music comes from which source. :) 

And yes now we'll find out if this is tracked or not.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I feel honored!

Yeah. Good stuff. Cheers! Your E.T. efforts have been greatly appreciated over the years.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

And yes now we'll find out if this is tracked or not.

hmmmm.. from what I remember they sounded different to me..

I'll give them another listen.

edit: they do sound different to me.

25 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Why is the E.T. main title creepier than Alien?

Musical misdirection making the audiences think this wouldn't be one of those fluffy heartwarming life affirming Spielberg films when it is in fact the warmest, fluffiest and most life affirming of his movies. Oh that Williams fellow is such a trickster!