E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

To be honest, I never understood why the film started out on such an eerie note with those main titles. I remember being creeped out by it as a child. But I wouldn't change a thing.

There's a mysterious buildup for 15-20 minutes with some spooky elements such as screaming E.T. in the woods and screaming E.T. in the cornfield. But the main titles make it seem like a horror movie.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I love it, sounds unearthly. 

Me too!
The Main titles "music", gained my attention at once, even as a child.

From what i remember this effect had been used again before by Goldsmith I think?

Williams uses it in The Towering Inferno.

I used to confuse the opening scenes of E.T. and The Empire Strikes Back when I was little for some reason. I thought the inside of the E.T. spaceship was the inside of the star destroyer.

12 hours ago, king mark said:

I think the first part of the movie was meant to scare you a bit

Most likely. By this time we had all seen CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and ALIEN. This movie was a total departure from this types of Alien character films and infact the quite opposite. The audience was probably sitting down adjusting and trying to reconcile with this new alien and totally misleading the audience by this almost ALIEN like atmospheric sound  was just the right way to begin. BTW, I remember reading that Williams was also attending POLTERGEIST recording sessions where the same kind of Gong effect was being used  or something and Williams was probably inspired to use the sound and augur the films unique opening track. 

4 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Williams uses it in The Towering Inferno.

I used to confuse the opening scenes of E.T. and The Empire Strikes Back when I was little for some reason. I thought the inside of the E.T. spaceship was the inside of the star destroyer.

Empire could've used more glowy mushrooms for sure.

17 minutes ago, azahid said:

Most likely. By this time we had all seen CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and ALIEN. This movie was a total departure from this types of Alien character films and infact the quite opposite. The audience was probably sitting down adjusting and trying to reconcile with this new alien and totally misleading the audience by this almost ALIEN like atmospheric sound  was just the right way to begin. 

Sure, but didn't people watch the trailer back then? And didn't people back then really have no idea what kind of movie this would be?

Don't get me wrong, guys, I'm not complaining.

But that eerily unearthly underscore is very fitting, all in all. It's somehow more artistic, or avant garde. It's not so much scary, as tense, or atmospheric. 

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I was scared when I first watched the movie as a child.

It sounded to me like monsters making sounds..

It's like the movie Ghost (score by Maurice Jarre).

In fact, now that I think of it, ET might have been an inspiration, at least score wise.

In Ghost the score is also frighteningly eerie at first.... And then it turns into a beautiful and romantic fantasy.

On 9/6/2017 at 6:31 AM, Josh500 said:

I'm not opposed to it, but...This is the expanded MOVIE soundtrack. Why would an adventure ride music be included?

Because it was composed and conducted by John Williams and Mike M knows we want it? 

Just now, Jay said:

Because it was composed and conducted by John Williams and Mike M knows we want it? 

Is this a question or a statement?

10 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

I'm really confused, is the disc going on sale on LaLaLand's site or the second disc site?

Both. :lol:

26 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

I'm really confused, is the disc going on sale on LaLaLand's site or the second disc site?

The Second Disc is just an info site where you can learn about movie releases and stuff. They snagged the track list premiere before I could ask if JWFan could premiere it. 

The new 2CD set will go up for sale on La La Land Records' own website, as well as other specialty film score stores, such as Screen Archives, Movie Music, Intrada, and Music Box Records. 

This member's signature is now being ignored.

Sadly, there aren't even any recordings of the music from the ride I want most. Most people know about the Botanicus music and agree that it's something that exists. The other cue is remarkably obscure. The last time I was in there, you could barely hear it as you approached the ride vehicle. It would seem to be one of the most obscure Williams recordings ever. The closest I've come to finding any proof of its existence is this 1994 VHS recording around 15:15 and like 16:19. To be honest, the sound quality is so poor, I don't even know if that's it. And no, it's not from the score, it's an original piece with the government agent motif.

I assume it would have been recorded either some time in 1989 or perhaps early 1990. The ride opened in the summer of 1990. Maybe it was recorded in an afternoon at Universal Studios?

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

What the hell did I just listen to?

I realize this home video from the early 90s looks like a found footage snuff film, but it's the only one I can recall that ever lingered in that area and recorded any music. Most videos skip this area or there's either wrong music or no music playing.

12 hours ago, The Second Disc said:

Hey guys, first time/long time...the track list will post tomorrow at noon Eastern/9 Pacific. No hints yet except to say that you may have to try very hard to find fault with this set. E.T. has been my favorite movie since I knew what movies were, and I can't imagine this done any better. Hope to see you then, and by all means, stay awhile if you like the site!

-M.D.

Thanks and welcome. We the fans/students of John Williams particularly from overseas will be glued to the net for sure. 

39 minutes ago, The Second Disc said:

No hints yet except to say that you may have to try very hard to find fault with this set.

If any online community can, it's JWFan!

Also... I'm not sure anyone's asked this yet, but is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included? Is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included? Is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included? Is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included? Is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included? Is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included? Is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included? Is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included? Is the E.T. Adventure theme park music included?!?!!?

7 hours ago, The Second Disc said:

Hey guys, first time/long time...the track list will post tomorrow at noon Eastern/9 Pacific. No hints yet except to say that you may have to try very hard to find fault with this set. E.T. has been my favorite movie since I knew what movies were, and I can't imagine this done any better. Hope to see you then, and by all means, stay awhile if you like the site!

-M.D.

Googie inspired visual design... I like it!

Just had a look at The Second Disc. It's quite nice/fitting that they get to release the track list first given that it was their founder's discovery of more than 1 E.T soundtrack release that led to the site being founded. Congratulations - this must be quite an event for you! :)

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Another sign of JWfans insignificance though. If we can't even get the scoop on a tracklist anymore.

Lack of ambition on the part of the moderating team.

ROTFLMAO

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Michael Matessino told in person that JWfan is too small.

I don't find it something to laugh about.

#Make JWFan great in the first place!#

It cannot be great again if it hasn't been great before.

And as Stefan said MM said we are too small!