E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

Well they were temporarily out of stock for a few months, then they announced that the last 200 copies were going. Perhaps avid collectors have a certain number they like to get it down to before they decide to act quickly. 

I'm glad you got yours, but that would've been much to close a call for my liking. I ordered as soon as it was back in stock. Here's hoping you get speedy shipping!

Well I only found about these sorts of things since I joined JW Fan, and I was trying to decide what to buy first. Before I knew it E.T. was, as I said, temporarily out of stock, so I had to wait a little while. After that time though, I came up with an order of importance. Close Encounters will be next, I think, but I'm content with E.T. for a good while.

Don't rub it in. I missed the JP collection completely, and I wanted both scores too! I think Bespin promised that should anything unforeseen occur that I could have his copy, and it seems Bilbo has slain him over in Ireland. A terrible loss, but I gain something I suppose.

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Don't rub it in. I missed the JP collection completely, and I wanted both score too!

Then I at least have some good news for you: the expanded JP doesn't add anything substantial.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

I said "something I wanted".

Well, you did say earlier that you regretted it a bit when it sold out. Or was that comment just for the expanded JP?

I did regret it a bit when I revisited the OST a few weeks ago, but honestly still don't really care. When I ask myself, would I ever have taken TLW out of the box, sat down and played it, I still resolutely answer no.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Awesome! I check that page from time to time to see if he posted another excellent breakdown.

It's similar to the artwork I put together myself. I feel like the bike over the moon is the best image to represent the film, plus it represents the most memorable moments of the score (flying bikes).

I like the concept, although something about the execution doesn't work for me. I guess it doesn't matter much, since I'll probably never play the physical disc again, given that it's out of order.

Generally I like Titus' approach to most projects, but his cover images can be hit or miss for me, depending what liberties he takes and how "photoshopped" they look. It's a tough job though, given all the constraints of this type of work, so I give him credit for his efforts. Usually all the other elements, like the tracklisting, booklet, etc are solid.

• 11 months later...

Dear MV.....

Is it possible to get a rerelease of the remastered 2CD edition of "E.T." for the films 40th Anniversary next year (it opened June 1982)?

Please don't make us wait for the 50th anniversary.

(and sorry if you've answered this somewhere else in this massive thread)

i'll see what I can do

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0

The 5000 units seemed to sell out pretty quickly.

I can see the appeal of licensing another ~3000 units, it's a very prestigious release to have under your label's banner.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess they'll either have to remove a bonus track or release the album on cassette. ;)

I'm confused by those rules about having to change the tracklist or whatever for any subsequent pressings. That seems to be implemented very inconsistently. I'm still waiting to see what Intrada do with Jaws' tracklist for that new pressing.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I'm confused by those rules about having to change the tracklist or whatever for any subsequent pressings. That seems to be implemented very inconsistently. I'm still waiting to see what Intrada do with Jaws' tracklist for that new pressing.

My guess is that the union wants a bigger cut of the income the more units are sold, because of the bigger margins when the "development" costs have been earned. So up to 5000 units they agrees on a certain price. If the speciality label wants to press more after that, they'll either have to pay a higher fee or create a "new" product so they can start counting from zero again. Just my two cents.

You're probably right, that would explain the tracklist altering (some type of loophole).

Risky strategy with soundtrack collectors though. I wouldn't buy a new edition of Jaws if most of the bonus content was removed.

54 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wouldn't buy a new edition of Jaws if most of the bonus content was removed.

Yeah, I didn't buy the newer Intrada BTTF without the disc of early alternates. And then didn't buy 2 and 3 either because only owning 2/3rds of a trilogy would bother me too much :lol:

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, I didn't buy the newer Intrada BTTF without the disc of early alternates. And then didn't buy 2 and 3 either because only owning 2/3rds of a trilogy would bother me too much :lol:

Imagine how I feel only having Matrix Reloaded, because Revolutions went OOP! :(

This is all Roger said about why they were re-issuing Jaws with the bonus tracks removed:

Because we hit the AFM max and in order to keep it in print we needed to reconfigure the program. Seemed like the easiest alteration.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=81759&sid=6d6a2cbb6d0e85317fcdaa2e9871a1b0#p81759

What the hell, that's where that thread ends? Where's the backlash for being such uncreative lazy bums not even caring that they're screwing over people who want the music?

Yeah I'm wondering if they even could just add an SFX tracks at the end if there is no other cues to add (because of rights issue or other stuff) or just a great quote from the movie like a 'You're gonna need a bigger boat' or a little 'E.T. phones home'

• 1 year later...

I can’t figure out how to share Facebook post from my phone to here but this is on the Classic FM page.

E.T. landed in cinemas 40 years ago today. One of John Williams’ all-time greatest soundtracks. 👽🚲

Join us from 7pm as we celebrate this wonderful score, in Saturday Night at the Movies on Classic FM 🍿👇

https://www.globalplayer.com/live/classicfm/uk/