E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Can someone please link me that great spreadsheet breakdown of the cue list and soundtrack releases so far? I can't find it.

This is @Jay's document:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QpVGzKLbN19_Tw2lwEU7LVglmqL3ogBrUWhTVUwHjww/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&hl=en_US&gid=0

I literally just type in "google.com/spreadsheets" on the board search to find these now.

Okay now, jokes aside, I really think CD1 won't be much different than the 2002 CD (aside from the remastered sound), which had 21 tracks. From what it looks, this has 23 tracks with the "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye" aparently splitted, so that leaves room for just one extra track. The smaller cues will be on CD2, along with the alternate and unused versions.

Could be, but I don't see how that would work for E.T. since not even the film mix combines the cues to such a different way that what's already been released on past CDs, unless it's MM's turn to now make some "exciting editing decisions".

I'm lining up the cue list to the blurred album listing. There's a few weird things I'm discovering but overall it does seem to match the 2002 release more than I expected.

13 minutes ago, phbart said:

Okay now, jokes aside, I really think CD1 won't be much different than the 2002 CD (aside from the remastered sound), which had 21 tracks. From what it looks, this has 23 tracks with the "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye" aparently splitted, so that leaves room for just one extra track. The smaller cues will be on CD2, along with the alternate and unused versions.

Correct takes!

Yeah, in all likelihood, that track is actually called E.T. And Elliot Get Drunk. MM appears to have taken a lot of guidance from the 2002 expansion titles (possible Williams directive?)

Everything for me revolves  on 3 cues

E.T. is Dying Film Version

Correct Goodbye Scene

E.T. Botanicus

and what about the Kiss Scene and Into the Cornfield cues...where's that supposed to be. do we still need the Laserdisk for that

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, in all likelihood, that track is actually called E.T. And Elliot Get Drunk. MM appears to have taken a lot of guidance from the 2002 expansion titles (possible Williams directive?)

Or maybe avoiding extra paperwork with the music publisher service, as newly renamed tracks would probably have to be registered all over again. I'm just guessing, actually. I don't really know that stuff works.

13 minutes ago, king mark said:

Everything for me revolves  on 3 cues

E.T. is Dying Film Version

Correct Goodbye Scene

E.T. Botanicus

and what about the Kiss Scene and Cornfield cue...where's that supposed to be

The kiss scene could merged with "Frogs", but not so tightly merged so as to make them impossible to separate with editing software without sacrificing anything. The cornfield cue looks more like an "alternate" main title to me.

Yes, looks like it.

In all, something tells me that not all of the "wrong" takes from previous releases will be on CD2 as alternates, so we'll probably still have to keep them.

That's a fair assumption. MM's intention is to present the score with the most polished version of every cue Williams wrote for a score, in every iteration said cue ever existed. If previous producers used incorrect takes, he's not bound to carry those over to his own presentation.

Anyway, here's my crude analysis of disc 2. Lots of guesswork and the track titles are anyone's guess, but the likelihood of this now-infamous theme park music being included seems increasingly small:

qLCimqW.jpg

looks missing  the 1996 c.d End Credits, which I actually like

I had hoped this set would make everything obsolete

not sure how your reading Botanicus

6 minutes ago, king mark said:

looks missing  the 1996 c.d End Credits, which I actually like

I had hoped this set would make everything obsolete

not sure how your reading Botanicus

So it's probable that track 20 is actually End Credits (Alternate). Botanicus was just wishful thinking; I doubt any such track would  be called such a silly title.

The weird thing about tracks 14 and 18 is they aren't designated as alternates or original versions; they just appear to be very short track titles??

Summing up, I'm certain any theme park music would've featured in its own section in the tracklist, like how they've broken up the OST and the Additional Music section. 

So, yeah... lower your expectations, folks. There ain't no Theme Park music on this release, which probably means Williams nixed it or the sessions are missing.

It's possible the sessions were missing or lost to time. Either way, shitty outcome. If ever there was a release to include that music, this was it.

Will be interesting to hear MM explain what happened (as he was fully aware of said music).

I think there is no Botanicus music cues here. The sub heading of the 2nd part of the tracklist looks like  "Alternate Cues" . If you squint you could almost see it. Anyways, if there was Botanicus here then preferred heading would have been Alternate and Bonus cues. :eh:

1 minute ago, Nemesis said:

I'm sure the Adventure Ride music is on disc 2. MM would not leave it out.

He wouldn't. But if JW doesn't want that to be included, then it won't be included. Unless MM has now mastered even further his skills as "negotiator" since the Jurassic Park set... :)

I'm concluding there's no ride music

The thing is E.T. has NEVER been a priority release for me  since all the material is already released on different sources .  This set can basically be cobbled up together from the LD and various c.d.s. My main selling point would have been the ride music.

Now the ONLY selling point is the sound quality and remastering. But there wasn't anything wrong with the sound quality on previous releases (including the LD rip)  so I dunno. And it looks like we'll still have to make a "complete score" play list made from disk 1 and 2.

Well MM was critical of the last release omitting that theme park material, so this appears to be yet another JW Special.

If anyone can add up the track times for the alternate/original cues, it'll probably confirm there's no room for the theme park cues on disc 2 anyway. Sigh.

23 minutes ago, king mark said:

E.T. has NEVER been a priority release for me  since all the material is already released on different sources .  This set can basically be cobbled up together from the LD and various c.d.s.

That's too much work. I will be happy to make this my first purchase of the soundtrack. 

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Some tracks could be the same exact cues with the complete score, but with an alternate mix.

But I hope not.

Stuff like that over the theme park cues would suck enormously.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its the best John Williams OST.

If you haven't seen the film and don't know the music composed for it, it could be.

But in comparison to the entire music on film, i would consider a good ost something that's not missing anything substantial, eg. like JFK which has all the important cues and mainly misses cues with sustained chords and rhythmic loops ,

The reason that I so much want to have that Botanicus Theme on that edition is not just the fact that I’m want to put everything Williams composed and recorded in my CD collection (I’ll probably never achieve this goal ;) ). I just fell in love with this music. It’s beautiful, majestic and has a mystery in it. And it's quite catchy!

It's fair to say it on most JWfans "Most wanted Unreleased Track" list

It's been discussed to death on the forum  so it's a pretty big deal it's not on the release

Like the Hook set not having the Feast insert