E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Well since the blu-ray is the original theatrical cut, not the 20th anniversary version, I would think it has the triangle, but I don't know for sure.

But the non-triangle DVD version is the original cut. (the USA DVD had both cuts).

Apparently, according to Jay's spreadsheet, they used a wrong take IN the original cut.

Ok, checked the bluray, and both the 7.1 and stereo have the triangle.

Funnily enough the Greek dub, and some other dubs i checked on the same bluray, have the non-triangle version! (i guess they took the dubs from the old dvds that had the wrong take)

Okay, I was only able to view the track list on a 10 minute break, but I'm back in the real world, AKA the John Williams Fan Network, which doesn't get track listings for new Williams releases until after websites that aren't that notable or focused on John Williams or even focused on film scores. By the way, I almost tried to log in as E.T. & Elliot.

I'm glad to see some of the E.T. ride music is on here. It's the highlight of this release since we already have everything else in good sound quality. Surely, what's included is the most notable Williams piece from the attraction. Something like this was the only chance we ever had at getting it.

MeekLargeEuropeanfiresalamander-small.gi

51 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I think they're talking about The Mission (Amazing Stories).

Whoops!  <<grabscoat>> I'll see myself out :blush:

-Erik-

34 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What nobody seems to have mentioned yet: It's "newly mixed" - that's what I'm perhaps most excited about!

Some scores don't need a new mix.  This is one that DOESN'T need one.

-Erik-

2 hours ago, king mark said:

are you kidding? The last track of The Mission is way better on the original recording by Williams

Both versions are worth having. The re-recording of the end credits is performed with more gusto, in my opinion and there's more emphasis on the brass. I listen to that version a lot more. Also, The Landing on the re-recording is an alternate that has the episode version insert, which wasn't on the Intrada CD, but can be edited in via the DVD audio.

35 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Some scores don't need a new mix.  This is one that DOESN'T need one.

I briefly compared the sound of the 1996 and 2002 versions again recently. To be honest, the 2002 doesn't sound as bad as I remembered, but I still don't like it. There's a certain kind of dryness to it that makes it sound neither direct not atmospheric. Dampened, or a bit "dead". The 1996 has marginally more reverb, which is probably artificial (it's the same mix, after all), but makes it sound more lively. So the 2002 release has probably the best authentic sound you can get out of that mix, and I don't like it.

The 1996 CD sounds the best of all so far. But when it comes to improvements, I think of Jurassic Park. I really didn't think the 1993 CD could sound any better than it did, and the 2013 digital release just reinforced that thought. Then came the 2016 CD and, IMHO, blew the other releases away. So I believe that, in the right hands, there's room always for improvement as the technology evolves.

Which makes me very curious about what they've done with the CE3K, since the 1998 CD sounds simply magnificent. The mix was already approved by JW, so let's see what cards will come out of the magician's sleeve.

48 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I briefly compared the sound of the 1996 and 2002 versions again recently. To be honest, the 2002 doesn't sound as bad as I remembered, but I still don't like it. There's a certain kind of dryness to it that makes it sound neither direct not atmospheric. Dampened, or a bit "dead". The 1996 has marginally more reverb, which is probably artificial (it's the same mix, after all), but makes it sound more lively. So the 2002 release has probably the best authentic sound you can get out of that mix, and I don't like it.

The 1996 and 2002 releases were re-mixed by Shawn Murphy.  Again, there was no need to fart around with it. Burbridge and Botnick did a brilliant job with their original mix.  I hope Matassino and Botnick did do too much with their mix on the LLL edition.  I like Matassino a lot but sometimes his mixes erk me. Less is more in this case!

-Erik-

5 minutes ago, phbart said:

The 1996 CD sounds the best of all so far. But when it comes to improvements, I think of Jurassic Park. I really didn't think the 1993 CD could sound any better than it did, and the 2013 digital release just reinforced that thought. Then came the 2016 CD and, IMHO, blew the other releases away. So I believe that, in the right hands, there's room always for improvement as the technology evolves.

Which makes me very curious about what they've done with the CE3K, since the 1998 CD sounds simply magnificent. The mix was already approved by JW, so let's see what cards will come out of the magician's sleeve.

I don't agree with the Jurassic Park comment.  I can hear compression, especially in the opening cue.  The big boom of those drums sound dampened. The only thing  Jurassic Park need was a boost in overall volume.

Sometimes I think the labels just tinker for the sake of tinkering because then they have something different and not necessarily something that is improved. For instance, the original release of Eraser sounds much better than La La Land's mix. But that's just a personal thought.  I love all the labels and what they do for all of us fans is greatly appreciated!  

-Erik-

Nice to see the E.T. Adventure music, or at least a smaller suite of it, on this release.  Looking forward to hearing it.  Thrilled at the prospect of hearing a beautiful presentation of the original score album.  Very interested in the newer extras.

12 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

I like Matassino a lot but sometimes his mixes erk me. Less is more in this case!

The releases where JW pokes his nose in and tells the producers to use album mixes (that were mixed in 1970's or 1980's technology) aimed for medium with limited capability such as vinyl or cassettes... those are the ones we should worry about.

The only case where I didn't like MM approach was "1941". I like the 1990 CD mix much better than the 2011 mix. But again, he claimed he was instructed by JW on what direction he should follow, while I'm sure he had other ideas in mind.

23 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

The 1996 and 2002 releases were re-mixed by Shawn Murphy.  Again, there was no need to fart around with it. Burbridge and Botnick did a brilliant job with their original mix.  I hope Matassino and Botnick did do too much with their mix on the LLL edition.  I like Matassino a lot but sometimes his mixes erk me. Less is more in this case!

Well, I haven't re-evaluated the original album, but a friend says that while the tracks recorded especially for the album sound good, at least Adventure on Earth (or perhaps all of the film tracks, I don't recall) have a very artificial and unnatural reverb. Botnick is Botnick, so I'm confident that the new mix will be tasteful.

I do wonder if CE3K can sound any better than it already does.

I really wish there were interviews made of Williams talking about these types of things, such as his views on album presentation, sound mixing, music editing, recording quality, etc.  Interviewers of the world:  Ask the dude some relevant questions!

The funny thing about JP is that, while some people here claims it's compressed compared to previous releases, Adobe Audition readings of the dynamic range shows that the 2016 has higher dynamic range than the previous releases. I compared tracks that were common to all three releases, and in all cases, the 2016 won. I don't know how accurate those readings are, but they show what they show.

18 minutes ago, phbart said:

The funny thing about JP is that, while some people here claims it's compressed compared to previous releases, Adobe Audition readings of the dynamic range shows that the 2016 has higher dynamic range than the previous releases. I compared tracks that were common to all three releases, and in all cases, the 2016 won. I don't know how accurate those readings are, but they show what they show.

Dynamic Range meter shows the 1993 album has the greatest range, followed by the 2016, then the 2013. I'm sure results vary from track to track and like you, I can't speak to how authoritative those results are. The tool was made specifically to compare different releases of the same content though for use with the Dynamic Range database.

16 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

Dynamic Range meter shows the 1993 album has the greatest range, followed by the 2016, then the 2013. I'm sure results vary from track to track and like you, I can't speak to how authoritative those results are. The tool was made specifically to compare different releases of the same content though for use with the Dynamic Range database.

I actually compared individual tracks (the ones that are the same on all releases), and not the whole thing, and indeed the 2016 tracks won. But then, again, I really don't know how accurate this is. The 2016 CD sounds better to me, so I guess it's accurate enough. :)

6 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

Looks like the new E.T. release will ship around the 22nd.

So most of us will only get it by October?

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

Looks good, I'm just wondering why a couple of the film score tracks appear on disc two as opposed to with the rest of the score on disc one?

There wasn't enough room on the disc to include all the tracks.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Looks good, I'm just wondering why a couple of the film score tracks appear on disc two as opposed to with the rest of the score on disc one?

The complete score was too long to fit on one disc. 

Scroll back just one page and read my chronological track list. The complete score is 81:16 long. 

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

according to your spreadsheet here about the finale:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QpVGzKLbN19_Tw2lwEU7LVglmqL3ogBrUWhTVUwHjww/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&hl=en_US&gid=0#

the 1982 ost version on the new cd is the 1982 ost version.

The tracks in cd 1 are either the LD iso score version/2002 dvd (without triangle) or the original theatrical cut version (with triangle)? (without the overlap of course) (have to check what is on the bluray)

and the departure alternate in cd 2 is  the 2002 cd version with the original ouch version?

The actual theatrical cut from 1982 had the triangle so of course the disc 1 version will too. It was a mistake that later DVD editions of the movie that remixed the music did not use that overlay. 

And yes, of course The Departure (Alternate) will feature the original version of the Ouch scene as Williams originally wrote it, since both the disc 1 and the album version feature the Steven's Fix insert. 

I don't dislike the original version, but I think it sounds better on the Erich Kunzel recording. The oboe or clarinet or whatever that is playing E.T.'s theme in that moment sounds better there.

Since Botanicus theme is about 3.51 and this cue is 4.21. , maybe there's additional material like the "Men in black" motif we hear just after in the video Evil-Lynn posted