E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

It wasn't one of the first scores I picked up when I got into JW and film scores in general in the mid 90s . By the time I got around to realizing I wanted to own every single JW score ever made, it was long OOP and selling for huge money on the secondary market.  I mean, used copies on Amazon are going for $80!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000014RC/

And I'm not about to spend $80 on a poorly mastered CD if a reissue could be right around the corner.  I can wait.

I was lucky to get Dracula OST in the late 90's among my first John Williams internet purchases. And at a relatively cheap price. :) 

I've also never seen the movie, so it wasn't on my radar to pick up until it was too late

I also don't own Towering Inferno and Earthquake for the same reasons

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've also never seen the movie, so it wasn't on my radar to pick up until it was too late

I also don't own Towering Inferno and Earthquake for the same reasons

I have the old John Williams' Filmworks compilation to thank for introducing me to these lesser known JW scores early on. My friend had it and I borrowed it and got to know Eiger Sanction, Dracula, The River, Earthquake etc. through that album. And then wanted to own every damn JW album I could get my hands on. :P 

I've been trying to watch old movies with JW scores I've never seen this year.  This meant discovering the delightful bonbon that is How to Steal a Million.  It also meant quitting on Not With My Wife You Don't after 20 dreadful, painful minutes.

12 hours ago, king mark said:

ok, got my E.T.

You'll probably enjoy it quite a bit I think.

The funny thing is that the tracking code is still listed as "Departed" to my planet. Which sort of proves that the "UA" code is indeed not traceable outside US. So I won't bothet to check the LLL tracking code every 5 minutes anymore...

5 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Behind the ET logo, I think I see the CE3K mountain...

:lol:

That's me holding my phone.

1 hour ago, phbart said:

And we will have a vinyl on spring 2018.

I feel like we've gone over this before: You need to link to the source for news like this!

I found the source for you

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10156006627973755?comment_id=10156006794393755&reply_comment_id=10156007387168755&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R9"}

Jay, I tried to paste the Facebook response from LLL to a user who asked about this vinyl, but the link wasn't redirecting to the post. And no, we haven't gone through this before, but I know better. ;)

You have to click on the timestamp of the comment, and then it generates a link directly to the comment; That's what I put in my post. But linking to the original post instead of the comment would have been perfectly fine anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, Amer said:

Here is My E.T. Collection to date with the Japanese Audiophile edition:

et2.jpg

So...which one of these did you prefer soundwise? Did Matessino blow Shawn Murphy's Hi-res version out of the water?

• 4 months later...

@Stefancos MV mentioned on FSM Questions thread that the LLL  E.T. Vinyl is coming out next month ! 

We have ET coming out next month and if we sell all 1500 units we might barely break even... 

• 5 weeks later...

From Filmtracks:

A variety of alternate, unused takes comprises the second CD after the album recording and theme park music. The latter cue is surprisingly uninteresting, using the wonder motif liberally but otherwise staying away from direct quotes of the other themes of the film and stewing at lesser intensities for much of its length. 

I have to say I agree. Hearing that cue for the first time was such an anticlimax. But I'm of course glad we have the new release from La-La Land, and finally The Kiss.

I am pretty sure Mike would have put The Encounter, The Kiss, and Levitation in the main program if they didn't have a 79 minute pressing restriction and/or if the 2002 CD hasn't opened with the Main Title so he felt compelled to open this CD1 with it too instead of putting that on Disc 2 as well.

I personally wouldn’t change a thing about the disc 1 program and it is primarily how I listen to this score, without those cues.  People who disagree can easily make a playlist, much as I would have made a playlist to exclude them if they had been included on disc 1.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I personally prefer my main program without Main Title and The Encounter but with The Kiss and Levitation.

Wasn't that the second possibility that MM considered? I would have chosen that one on disc 1.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Oh, no @Jay! The MAIN TITLE is brilliant. I can't decide which is better: E.T. or OUTLAND.

Outland.

I've shoved all the tracks into chronological order in my assembly.

It sounds weird going straight from Far From Home / ET Alone into Bait For E.T, like there's a track missing in between. Sure enough, there is!

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Oh, no @Jay! The MAIN TITLE is brilliant. 

I don't hate the main title at all.  I think it works brilliantly in the film without question.

However, I question how much involvement Williams even had with it, and I doubt it would have ever been his idea to open the film that way; I think Spielberg liked what he heard at the Poltergeist sessions and wanted a quick replica to be recorded for ET. The leaked sheet music for the first version of Far From Home proves that the opening credits originally ran over the forest footage, which means the entire white text on black background opening the film has now was added in by Spielberg later.

Also, there's something so magical and pure about beginning the ET experience with The Call theme on solo flute.  It's one of the most perfect film score openings of all time.

I've officially reached "feeling nostalgic for promotional campaign from only a year ago" level of soundtrack fandom.  Help.

I saw this picture and all the good feeling from the announcement last year came flooding back.

et-35-share-web.jpg