E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

I'm afraid you'll have to. I've been waiting almost 30 years for the E.T. Universal Studios ride music that plays in the woods while you smell something glorious and I don't even get a tracklist. If it's not on here...

I don't see any of that being likely.  This is specifically labeled the 35th anniversary edition, which would apply to the movie, and is clearly intended as the complete/expanded edition of the score.  Not sure why you would think this would include material written something like 8 years later for a ride.

13 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

I don't see any of that being likely.  This is specifically labeled the 35th anniversary edition, which would apply to the movie, and is clearly intended as the complete/expanded edition of the score.  Not sure why you would think this would include material written something like 8 years later for a ride.

Yeah. But let's keep fingers crossed for the unlikely eventuality.

What exactly would the E.T. Adventure be comprised of, multiple tracks or just a suite? How much music is it? The OST already takes up 40 minutes of disc 2.

From looking at the ET complete cue list, there's 8 "alternates" (includes revised intros or cues with inserts) that we know of, leaving 4 "unknown" tracks on disc 2. Alternates we weren't aware of or E.T. Adventure?

This would have made a nice 2nd CD in itself and if they had done this in 2002 there would also have been the opportunity (and the space) to add both Walter Murphy's disco version (which MCA Records owns) and the music Williams recorded for the "E.T. Adventure" ride.

So that's everything. It's all available but it takes some work to locate, sort out and put together the way, in my opinion, it should be.

Mike

I'am hoping that Matessino is sticking to his original plan and from the cd glimpses(above) it seems to me that it is going to be just that!

Lets see and wait... :P

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

Not sure why you would think this would include material written something like 8 years later for a ride.

Because it seems to be a logical solution, at least to me. Besides, Mike Mattesino seemed open to the idea.

This would have made a nice 2nd CD in itself and if they had done this in 2002 there would also have been the opportunity (and the space) to add both Walter Murphy's disco version (which MCA Records owns) and the music Williams recorded for the "E.T. Adventure" ride.

Ultimately it'll come down to rights, licensing and, finally, Mr Williams' approval. He's always come across as protective of his score for E.T. so if he doesn't want the theme park music released then it won't happen.

Likewise, if anyone could convince him to release it, it's Mike Matessino.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

What exactly would the E.T. Adventure be comprised of, multiple tracks or just a suite? How much music is it? The OST already takes up 40 minutes of disc 2.

Yeah, I'd also like to know this. I know nothing about the ET Adventure ride music.

Is it just this track? How much music we talking about here?

I had a dream last night where the tracklist was announced today and we all learned the bonus tracks are actually highlights from the live performance of the 20th anniversary premiere.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Also, could one track be Stargazers?

Although it did get released recently.

As far as we know Williams hasn't done a studio recording of the piece and I don't think this release will be a huge material dump for everything musically related to E.T. Plus the proto-Star Gazers aka E.T. and Me from the OST album will probably be on this release.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

I don't think this release will be a huge material dump for everything musically related to E.T. cobbled together over the last few decades.

I hope so.

Imagine 7-8 versions of the main theme, like in that Spartacus set!

5 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

Personally, I really hope Mike M made a trip out to that landfill in New Mexico to get an old Atari cartridge so he could include music from the game!

I like how the Atari didn't even have the capability to make the octave jumps required to recreate the melody accurately.

4 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I'm curious why so many people here seem opposed to getting the ride music. What the hell sort of John Williams fans are you?

I'm not opposed to it, but...This is the expanded MOVIE soundtrack. Why would an adventure ride music be included?

If they started doing that, they might also include the video games music as well, or the musical soundtrack (if there was an ET musical, etc.) and so on. It just doesn't seem likely.

But again, I'm not opposed to it, if for some reason they did decide to include it.

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I'm not opposed to it, but...This is the expanded MOVIE soundtrack. Why would an adventure ride music be included?

If they started doing that, they might also include the video games music as well, or the musical soundtrack (if there was an ET musical, etc.) and so on. It just doesn't seem likely.

But again, I'm not opposed to it, if for some reason they did decide to include it.

...or - Heaven forbid - SOMEONE IN THE DARK.

Michael Jackson was accused of molesting E.T. during the recording sessions of Someone in the Dark, that's why we won't see that included in any release anytime soon.

11 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

That's not a good comparison at all.

That's because it's not a comparison.

All I'm saying is, why would music not in the movie (or written for the movie) be included in the movie soundtrack? 

The Michael Jackson song was already in a Michael Jackson set, complete with the E.T. dialogue. We don't need it. The actual John Williams (remember him?) score for the E.T. ride which includes a couple of amazing cues for the waiting area (which they may not even play anymore in the only remaining version of the ride) likely has no other chance of ever being released and Mike Matessino knew that as well as I according to that old forum post. So what it all comes down to? Did John Williams prevent the release of the music...

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

All I'm saying is, why would music not in the movie (or written for the movie) be included in the movie soundtrack? 

Because it's music written by the composer of the film for something having to do with the film?

2 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

I would love the Ride music, but won't be disappointed if it's not included.  I'm still reeling from us getting the complete Lost World.  Exciting times.

This. Same here.

I'll be busy listening to and enjoying LLL's A.I. and Jurassic Park Collection for years to come! 

:D

It's my most-wanted JW music. I think people are just acting ironic and uncharacteristic of JWFan, as normally everyone wants every note of music in narrative order with alternates and Coke ads and I'm frequently content with the original albums.

The Botanicus Theme - We don't know yet if it's on there or not. Hopefully it is. Maybe it's not.

I wouldn't be disappointed in case of its absence simply because of the fact that I didn't even know it existed until a week ago.

But it it's there... YEY! It was nice! Nice, indeed.

If it isn't on there, it's because JW wanted it omitted. Simple as that.Matessino would've tracked down the session tapes at Universal, of that I'm certain. This ain't no Dracula!

I counted 23 tracks on CD1 and 20 tracks tracks on CD2 (8 being OST and 12 being bonus tracks).

I'm telling you guys, CD1 will be exactly the same in content and sound quality as the 20th anniversary CD, but expanded to 23 tracks because JW stepped in and made some "exciting editing decisions". The 12 bonus tracks of CD2 are just highlights of the live perfomance of the 20th anniversary premiere. The real deal here will be the remastered OST.