E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

Thanks, @FrankV

Here is the full post

Slight change in our schedule this month

We will start taking orders for all 4 releases starting this Tuesday Sept 12, 2017 at 12 pm pst

E.T. 35TH ANNIVERSARY (SHIPPING SEPT 22) - $29.98
AWAKEN THE SHADOWMAN (SHIPPING SEPT 19 or sooner) -SIGNED COPIES WILL BE AVAILABLE - $15.98
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW (IN STOCK, SHIPPING SEPT 12) - $24.98
THUNDER ROAD (IN STOCK, SHIPPING SEPT 12) - $19.98

We may get Kingsman The Golden Circle up for sale on the site Sept 26. Waiting on artwork approvals.

See ya next Tuesday!

MV

This post also is the first place the price was announced!  $30 is exactly what I expected.

On 8.9.2017 at 7:03 PM, phbart said:

I was thinking about keeping the 96 release because of a little passage in the "At Home" (around 1:15 to 1:30) that is different from the 02 release and the laserdisc iso score.

Good catch!

On 9/8/2017 at 8:03 PM, phbart said:

Also, the "E.T. Alone" (the part the ship takes off and E.T.'s heart dims) from the laserdisc is different than the 96 and 02 CDs. I'm curious about the alternate track on CD2, if it'll be the same (surely CD1 will have the film version from the laserdisc). Those little nuances will probably make me keep all of the past releases. But hey, that's just me. :)

Huh? i don't hear any difference.

Bouzereau also put a take of 2M3 First Meeting (which he called Meeting ET, not to be confused with 3M2 Meeting ET, which he called Beginning of a Friendship) with extra harp not heard in the film on the 2002 CD. It looks like Mike M put that take with the extra harp on disc 2 in the bonus track section, which is nice. Likely, the harp was Williams original intention for the scene, and Spielberg or him thought it played better without so they did a new take without it.

Obviously, there was no room to repeat the 5 1/2 minute At Home (6M3 Bedtime Stories) on disc 2 just for the extra harp bit Bouzereau picked back then. 

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Huh? i don't hear any difference.

It's there. And all the way to end of the track. But bare in mind that I'm talking about the LD iso score vs. the 96 and 02 CDs, not the 96 vs. 02 CDs.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Obviously, there was no room to repeat the 5 1/2 minute At Home (6M3 Bedtime Stories) on disc 2 just for the extra harp bit Bouzereau picked back then. 

Sure. And it's not even the film version, anyway. It's just those tiny things I tend to grow fond of.

Anyway, most of the major "alternates" from the 96 CD will be on CD2.

13 minutes ago, phbart said:

It's there. And all the way to end of the track. But bare in mind that I'm talking about the LD iso score vs. the 96 and 02 CDs, not the 96 vs. 02 CDs.

Yes, I understood it.

Do you like to expand on what is the difference?

alternate orchestration? alternate take with different performance?

Because the music content seems the same.

24 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, I understood it.

Do you like to expand on what is the difference?

alternate orchestration? alternate take with different performance?

Because the music content seems the same.

The orchestra performance is different, but no particular difference with orchestration or a particular instrument. It's more obvious when the government people hear E.T.'s groing, and they come down to look and we see that cheesy blue-screen effect (one of the few things I liked better on the 20th anniversary version) of them passing by against the city in the background.

One thing I'm curious is how MM will handle the transition between "Chase" and "Saying Goodbye" ("Bike Chase" and "The Departure" in the new release). The 2002 CD did a major screw up by merging the two cues.

Ah, the 2002 also did a royal screw up on "E.T. is Alive" by merging the part where Elliot realizes the flowers are growing and see E.T. alive. The 96 CD there's larger gap between, and an even larger one on the OST. I know that the merge is on the film mix, but it didn't work at all on CD.

1 hour ago, phbart said:

One thing I'm curious is how MM will handle the transition between "Chase" and "Saying Goodbye" ("Bike Chase" and "The Departure" in the new release). The 2002 CD did a major screw up by merging the two cues.

well, since they are 2 different tracks, i believe there will be a gap.

I don't have in mind any MM Williams cd that has overlaping/continuing material in 2 consecutive tracks.

As far as i remember, there was a gap on my old MCA cd. The only thing i want fixed is that abrupt fade-in/cut when 'E.T. and Me' gets loud. It sounds like the flutes are slightly cut off by a millisecond. Most of the real score i can do without, the MCA doesn't really omit much, save for the bad guys theme hovering over the proceedings. I tried to make an iTunes selection but never really found cues of interest beyond the old cd's.

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Those cues have always been married together, on the OST, the concert suite etc..etc. 

I didn't mean merge as two cues on the same track. I mean the lack of gap between them. Like the end of one cue overlapping the beggining of the other cue.

18 minutes ago, publicist said:

I'm sure there are lots of 'different' takes for all parts of the movie but the only notable difference i found was a string swell in 'Saying Goodbye' that was better on the old MCA.

Well, the ending of The Bike Chase is also obviously different.