E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

That international shipping is brutal! $14.00 for the first CD then $2.50 for every CD thereafter. :(

Think I might just wait until Close Encounters is released and get them together, unless someone can recommend me another JW expansion I haven't gotten. Already have Hook, AI and JP.

Home Alone, Empire of the Sun, Rosewood...

CE3K might not even be released until next year! Get it now! 

By the way, does anybody know how many copies of LLL's Jurassic Park Collection are still left?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm confused.  Are you saying the sample from 0:17 onward matches the sheets for 2M3 First Meeting, the sample from 0:00-0:16 matches the sheets for 2M3 Alternate Beginning, and the version on the 2002 CD and in the film is a podium change of the original 2M3?

Exactly.

(to be precise, a podium change of the original 2m3 Alternate beginning. Eb Clarinet becomes piccolo flute)

By the way, in the sketch of 2m3 alternate beginning it says on the top left "in album", meaning I guess that they would use it for the album track.

(it seems Williams wanted to get rid of the atonal stuff in the album, as it's clear from the ost, and made this more tonal beginning).

But in the end they used this in the film too!

I've learnt to accept the shipping fees, but yesterday evening I was discussing this with someone else: why doesn't LLL do digital releases? Is it a licence/administrative thing? Because if they went digital, they would never have out-of-print products, they'd probably make more money because people wouldn't have to pay for shipping and problems like the Waterworld set wouldn't exist.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

The studios that own the music only grant them licenses to sell physical CDs. They keep the digital rights for themselves. LLL would happily sell everything digitally too if they could.

I'm not expert at all about licenses, rights etcetera, so I ask, in what sense are the studios keeping the digital rights for themselves? What do they gain from that, since they are not selling anything digitally themselves? 

18 minutes ago, Score said:

I'm not expert at all about licenses, rights etcetera, so I ask, in what sense are the studios keeping the digital rights for themselves? What do they gain from that, since they are not selling anything digitally themselves? 

Studios would licence out film scores for different mediums and for different costs. To licence a score for a physical CD release or vinyl might cost $XXX,XXX, whereas licencing for a digital/streaming release might cost $X,XXX,XXX or the studio might refuse to grant a digital licence.

It's noteworthy that a physical album release is a finite licence, so once the volume of CDs (say 5000) are sold then the label needs to re-negotiate with the studio to print a new batch (for a fee, obviously). With a digital release, the volume of sales is infinite and not restricted to a set volume the way physical CDs are. It's the studio's way of controlling the supply/demand of their product (the film score) and keep the value of a licence higher for future occasions (ie. if LLL pursued Indiana Jones or Star Wars in the future, when other labels already had a stab).

As for your second question, well... that is a good question. Sometimes looking for logic is a futile exercise when it comes to studio politics. After all, Lucasfilm could pretty easily expand all 7 Star Wars scores as digital releases, charge $150 and watch the money roll in. Instead, those files sit unsorted and unused on a secure hard drive at Mouse HQ. Why? Who knows! It's probably just easier re-releasing the existing albums. :sarcasm:

1 hour ago, Score said:

You've hit the nail on the head!  They keep the license for themselves with the intent that they will sell it digitally themselves.... and then they never do!

Well, not NEVER, but its very rare.  Mike M's expanded edition of Back To The Future Part II that got put out by Intrada on physical CD and then sold digitally by Universal is the only one that comes to mind!

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

You've hit the nail on the head!  They keep the license for themselves with the intent that they will sell it digitally themselves.... and then they never do!

Well, not NEVER, but its very rare.  Mike M's expanded edition of Back To The Future Part II that got put out by Intrada on physical CD and then sold digitally by Universal is the only one that comes to mind!

LLL's complete Spaceballs score was released digitally as well - with lousy cover art, and without the bonus tracks.  Lucky for me, because I love that score but missed the CD.

Yup, in the past year or so, some expansions have started showing up on Spotify, etc.  I think we actually had a thread about it!  Let me see if I can find it

Well, I can't find a thread that aggregates all specialty label expansions being sold digitally in one place (maybe it was an FSM thread I was thinking of?)

But here are 3 recent expansions that are sold digitally

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25854-total-recall-by-jerry-goldsmith-new-2cd-complete-from-quartet-records/&do=findComment&comment=1353495

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25691-basic-instinct-2-cd-coming-from-quartet/&do=findComment&comment=1353494

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25427-john-debneys-cutthroat-island-new-lll-2cd-by-matessino-bulk-coming-july-5-2016/&do=findComment&comment=1383346

It's progress!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Studios would licence out film scores for different mediums and for different costs. To licence a score for a physical CD release or vinyl might cost $XXX,XXX, whereas licencing for a digital/streaming release might cost $X,XXX,XXX or the studio might refuse to grant a digital licence.

It's noteworthy that a physical album release is a finite licence, so once the volume of CDs (say 5000) are sold then the label needs to re-negotiate with the studio to print a new batch (for a fee, obviously). With a digital release, the volume of sales is infinite and not restricted to a set volume the way physical CDs are. It's the studio's way of controlling the supply/demand of their product (the film score) and keep the value of a licence higher for future occasions (ie. if LLL pursued Indiana Jones or Star Wars in the future, when other labels already had a stab).

As for your second question, well... that is a good question. Sometimes looking for logic is a futile exercise when it comes to studio politics. After all, Lucasfilm could pretty easily expand all 7 Star Wars scores as digital releases, charge $150 and watch the money roll in. Instead, those files sit unsorted and unused on a secure hard drive at Mouse HQ. Why? Who knows! It's probably just easier re-releasing the existing albums. :sarcasm:

The possibility of keeping control over supply/demand seems indeed the only reasonable explanation. Maybe the studios just estimate that, in their way, they would gain more than by releasing the complete scores digitally themselves. Or maybe, since the amount of money involved is really small, they just don't care enough to even bother about this. If we consider expanded scores only, we are apparently talking of few thousands of people interested... in the whole world! So it's a market worth maybe 200,000 $ at each release, which is really tiny compared to what they get from all the other marketable aspects of a movie.    

59 minutes ago, Score said:

So it's a market worth maybe 200,000 $ at each release, which is really tiny compared to what they get from all the other marketable aspects of a movie.    

True, on a per movie basis, but when you multiply that over many films then it's a reasonably healthy revenue stream for little expenditure.

After all, the film's budget already covers the cost of recording the score, so it's a quick way to make some money back.

The cue in the film and therefore laserdisc isolated score track is shorter than the version here, if that's what you mean.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

The cue in the film and therefore laserdisc isolated score track is shorter than the version here, if that's what you mean.

I guess he meant that we've never heard those 30 seconds (neither in the film).

Although I think it will be just more tam-tam/gong effects.

by the way, why did you change in your spreadsheet triangle to bell tree?

It's a triangle

MV on the FSM message board:

Well, shoot. Over half the units gone in 24 hours. Guess nobody wanted this release afterall. 

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=121219&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=450

7 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Should I buy this now or wait until later to bundle it with CE3K?

Well, more than half have gone, but we have to include all the shops  that ordered it for themselves. It's hard to say, but it’s possible that within days or weeks it will disappear. It’s always better to combine shopping and get several CD's in one order. Ordering on other continents is very expensive, so I usually order with a few friends from my country, film music fans, and then shipping costs are minimized. Of course not everyone has that possibility.

damn... iwanted to wait...theyalways make some king of discount later in the year...or maybe bundle it vith CEOTK....but half have already gone...how fast did JP sell? maybe its just half the 1st days and then sales stall for months....

why did Williams change The Flying  Theme?

On the original OST it ends with a similar  ending to the End Credits, but in later versions he plays in concert  it's the movie ending

Since he plays often Adventures on Earth also with the movie ending he should have kept the original version

5 hours ago, FrankV said:

Will Harry Potter sell faster though? Hmmm @Josh500another poll is in order! ;)

50% sold already?! Eeek, maybe waiting to bundle with CE3K isn't the best idea... :( I thought this would be moderately popular but that's outselling the JP set!

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Will Harry Potter sell faster though? Hmmm @Josh500another poll is in order! ;)

I'm dying for Azkaban, but that Potter set is going to cost a fortune! 6 discs at $30 is $146AUD shipped. :lol:

I don't need a life, so cost is meaningless...

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

50% sold already?! Eeek, maybe waiting to bundle with CE3K isn't the best idea... :(

That set is going to cost a bundle! If it's 6 discs, that's $146 AUD. :lol:

I don't think a Potter set is coming this year, so no need to save your money. :) The MSO are a world-class orchestra, they will nail the score. 

I just wish the unused cues were being used for the LTP presentation of TFA; there's so much baffling waste of great music in that score, notably the Parade Grounds speech.

I don't remember how long it took the last time I ordered from LLL. Will surely get the CD after everyone here, like usual. Deliver to North Pole is always long!

I love those Expanded Sets, and now I'm totally addicted to them.

I have the feeling that it closes a book... that was left open for too long.

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I don't remember how long it took the last time I ordered from LLL. Will surely get the CD after everyone here, like usual. Deliver to North Pole is always long!

Well nobody's is shipping until the 26th