Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think its fun when expansions come out on anniversary years!

Gidget Goes To Rome & Sergeant Ryker for 2018?

You, me, Miguel and Thor would be over the moon!

Indeed!

It's a dream come true to have both available in definitive editions that completely void the 90s incomplete and wrong-take, overlays-and-inserts-missing expansions.

How wrong am I to be massively more excited for Harry Potter/Indiana Jones/Star Wars than about ET and especially CE3K?

I feel kind-of guilty for not being more excited now than I am...

Anyway, that doesn't stop this from being great, great news! :D

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah yes, classic "That's cool, what's next?" syndrome.  Only took 20 minutes this time!

I know, I know, I'm annoyed by it myself. It's technically even very illogical that one release raises the probability of aanother release. When there are two releases announced one after another I'm completely freaking out, that's it.

Well, let's focus on what we've just got. I mean, it's fantastic what we've got!

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Oh double wow! 

I dont onw either OST. I've been holding out for these reissues. 

Same here.

Honestly I'm not that familiar with ET or CEOT3K, so I was just going through some of the highlights to familiarize myself with the feelings of both. I'm sure everyone here already noticed this years ago, but I recognized what sounds almost exactly like the 'Sith motif' from ROTS; it plays a few times at the very beginning. An instant anchor to hook me into the score.

EDIT: Just realized this was the CE3K thread! :lol:

Along with the E.T. tidbits, this is also great news.

Even though CE3K isn't my favourite soundtrack to listen to, there are a few cues I find enjoyable, the Finale especially.

It'll be interesting to see how they solve the "inside the mothership" dilemma.

So, my instincts about CE3K were right after all, Jay. :)

Now, I must admit E.T. caught me completly by surprise, given that the OST would already see a release with the 4K Blu-ray.

I hope I'm not dreaming about all this...

Coke Zero still exists in Ireland.

Just give me something that isn't Diet Coke.

Expanded CE3K? Urgh, I'll stick to my superior OST presentation! 

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Coke Zero still exists in Ireland.

Just give me something that isn't Diet Coke.

Pepsi Max is better.

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Expanded CE3K? Urgh, I'll stick to my superior OST presentation! 

Get thee to a nunnery!

Just now, Richard said:

Pepsi Max is better.

Get thee to a nunnery!

Pffft, Pepsi. I only drink that when a place doesn't sell Coke. "We don't have Coke, is Pepsi ok?" "Sure, I don't have any money, is the Monopoly kind ok?"

4 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Pffft, Pepsi. I only drink that when a place doesn't sell Coke. "We don't have Coke, is Pepsi ok?" "Sure, I don't have any money, is the Monopoly kind ok?"

Dr. Pepper? R. White's? 7Up? Sprite? Mountain Dew? Irn Bru?

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

It'll be interesting to see how they solve the "inside the mothership" dilemma.

I'm not very familiar with the Close Encounters score... I've been waiting for a release like this one to get into it  :)  So, what's the story with Inside the Mothership?

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My preferred soda is caffeine free Coke Zero, which is really hard to find sometimes since I don't live in Utah.

If Caffeine Free Diet Mt. Dew existed anywhere in my area, I'd sell my house and live in that store.

51G7E1Y82YL__SY445_.jpg

32 minutes ago, Quintus said:

What was wrong with this one again:

sq4UwJU.jpg

A brilliant album which has served me well for years. All the music I want is on there.

It is a brilliant album, and certainly generous for its time, but it was constrained by the limits of running times on just one CD; there were film versions, sweeteners, and a few whole cues that were not included

36 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I'm not very familiar with the Close Encounters score... I've been waiting for a release like this one to get into it  :)  So, what's the story with Inside the Mothership?

Since there are different cuts of the movie, with and without scenes inside the mothership, there also exists alternate musical versions.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

sq4UwJU.jpg

A brilliant album which has served me well for years. All the music I want is on there.

There's nothing "wrong" with it and no one is taking it away from you.  It's simply not complete (just watch the film, there is music in it that has never been put on CD), and this one is.  Plus, who knows how many interesting early compositions were recorded that got replaced by revisions that no one has heard for 40 years?  On top of that, it will sound better than ever before.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

sq4UwJU.jpg

Nothing Wrong with it, but more masterpiece is more masterpiece and very welcome. Love this release. :)

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Close Encounters is actually a better movie than Star Wars.

I'll take the movie with suspense and wonder and leaving annoying women for an alien spaceship over the the movie with Harrison Ford arguing with Carrie Fisher in a dumpster with a guy in a gorilla suit making weird noises in the background.