Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Does anyone have any recording details about either the OST, or the POPS IN SPACE versions of ITM?

And...since WYWUAS was the intended ending, was the END TITLE of the SE tracked, from music recorded in '77?

Aaaaand...if it's advertised by Sony, on the poster, then why is it limited to 5000 units?

I know one is BSO, one is BPO. Thats it.

The end credits cue on the 1998 CD is the only version of the End Credits Williams wrote. When the film was about to be released, Spielberg replaced part of the cue with tracked music in the finished film. This tracking was replicated for the OST album for whatever reason as well. 

For the 1980 Special Edition of the film, he reverted back to Williams' intentions. But then inexplicably, the 1998 cut of the film reverted back to the 1977 tracked edit again, even though the concurrent CD release was premiering the intended cue.  

On 9/7/2017 at 3:57 PM, Jay said:

The end credits cue on the 1998 CD is the only version of the End Credits Williams wrote. When the film was about to be released, Spielberg replaced part of the cue with tracked music in the finished film. This tracking was replicated for the OST album for whatever reason as well. 

For the 1980 Special Edition of the film, he reverted back to Williams' intentions. But then inexplicably, the 1998 cut of the film reverted back to the 1977 tracked edit again, even though the concurrent CD release was premiering the intended cue.  

Exactly. I read that the (dumbass) audience in a test screening somewhere didn't liked the "When You Wish Upon a Star" end credits, so it was replaced with tracked music.

I guess the reason Spielberg again used the tracked version in the 1998 cut is that it probably worked better with the 1980 version because of the "Inside the Mothership", which also has a "When You Wish Upon a Star" variation in it. By showing the interior of the Mothership, WITH the music, the feeling I got was that the aliens are even more friendly than they look, so that makes the sweet "When You Wish Upon a Star" in the end credits more... let's say... enchanting. By not showing the interior, even with the friendly alien outside making the hand signals, it's still a little unsettling to think what could be in there and what they are doing to poor Richard Dreyfuss. But anyway, that tracked music sucks and I want the "When You Wish Upon a Star" end credits (with the "Inside the Mothership" cue on CD2!).

I want a complete edit of the Inside the Mother ship in the Finale music with the Special Edition End Credits, and the slow fade out of the  Finale cue into the Credits

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, CE3K will not have short tracks moved to the bonus section, because it's a minimum longer than 80 minutes. But I think the main program is long enough, so that it's worth to continue it on disc 2.

On 9/8/2017 at 10:59 PM, king mark said:

I want a complete edit of the Inside the Mother ship in the Finale music with the Special Edition End Credits, and the slow fade out of the  Finale cue into the Credits

I just want the kiddie xylophone rendition of the five tones and the chant.

8 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I just want the kiddie xylophone rendition of the five tones and the chant.

Just like I wanted the doorbell version of the Long Goodbye tune but alas it was not there on the Quartet release. Holy grail for sure!

6 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Finish the race, of course.

This terrible line reading from the terrible child actor was once such a big inside joke with me and my friends in high school that I had the quote as my email signature.

8 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

There are several CDs with longer running time than 80 min, e.g. "La Spagna" from BIS. So technically, there is no reason to move tracks.

A normal compact disc without any compression holds exactly 79:59, which means if you fill every second of the disc, the last track won't work.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

LLL has a policy where no disc can be over 79 minutes.

Wisely, since many CD-players have problems dealing with overloaded compact discs. So they get sure, that every CD-player in the world is able to play the whole disc without any problems.

43 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So they get sure that every CD-player in the world is able to play the whole disc without any problems.

These expanded sets were not built to cater only for the super-rich.  Everyone in the world has the right to enjoy these releases.

21 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

These expanded sets were not built to cater only for the super-rich.  Everyone in the world has the right to enjoy these releases.

Well sure, the labels can have a coupon day or whatever.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

A normal compact disc without any compression holds exactly 79:59, which means if you fill every second of the disc, the last track won't work.

Well , I never had a problem playing those over 80 min discs, even to the last track. Where do you have this time information, it is new to me?

Every CD player in the world is different, and some players handle long CDs better than others.  Its really as simple as that.

• 1 month later...

I wonder what those "listening experience" adjustments mean exactly. But as long as you can create a chronological presentation out of it all, I will just go along with it.

I'm really hoping this is one of the Black Friday titles.

Karol

Honestly, I think MM has great instincts when it comes to making a flowing listening experience (you hear that Thor??). The suggestion that you can still make a chronological playlist without any serious editing is just icing on the cake.

Bring on the release!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Mike M has teased this release a little bit in our new main page article, check it out!

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=9994

Great interview!  Two questions I have from it, when Mike M says this about E.T. " the score was recorded as a live 3-channel mix plus a mono surround straight to mag and 1/2” tape" is he saying that no spot mics were used since the recording is a 3 channel mix down?  That would be quite unusual.  Even Star Wars 77 used spot mics but what I don't know is were they recorded as a mix down to fewer channels.  Also, I would be very surprised if Spielberg was the one who performed on “Steven’s Gong.” Though it looks easy to do this technique, it isn't that easy to pull it off and have it speak consistently.  Great interview and lots of interesting tidbits. 

Probably a better question for the ET thread than the CE3K thread... But I don't know if I understand you, he's not talking about mic placement, but final mixed audio. There would have been mics all over the room, but they didn't save each individual mic's recording on a 24 or 48 track recorder, they just saved the live LCR mix. That's how I understand it anyway, and I think it'd be pretty standard for the time frame to do it that way.