Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

13 hours ago, king mark said:

Are they limited releases?

Check out the image in the main post of the ET thread. It's limited to 5,000 copies. 

Maybe it better to wait and order CE3K and E..T. at the same time

CE3K was just approved by Williams this week so there's still a lot of work to do. It could not be out until October... November... December... January... Is saving a couple bucks in shipping worth the wait to have both? 

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

ET was just approved by Williams this week so there's still a lot of work to do. It could not be out until October... November... December... January... Is saving a couple bucks in shipping worth the wait to have both? 

why does it say sept 12 for E.T. then

27 minutes ago, king mark said:

Jay clearly meant Close Encounters could come out in "October... November... December... January..."

Careful, Drax. You dig up the past...all you get is dirty...

On a serious note, I wonder if JW's approved album assembly separates "The Appearance of the Visitors" from the end titles. I'm quite fond of that presentation; what's everyone else's preference?

5 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

On a serious note, I wonder if JW's approved album assembly separates "The Appearance of the Visitors" from the end titles. I'm quite fond of that presentation; what's everyone else's preference?

yes, I mentionned that

A very nice bonus would be to hear at least a few early versions of The 5 Notes just in piano mockup form, how JW would have presented them to SS, finishing with the final version a few times. Could be a nice opening for the second disc, as well as insight into the production.

I never bought the Collector' Edition CD, so I hope the new set will make it totally obsolete.

E.T. and now CE3K, then The Last Jedi in december. What a year! :-)

John Williams talking with La-La Land executives saying "fuck it, just release everything! These pathetic no-life nerds wanting everything, just shove it down their damn throats and extract all of their hard earned cash! Milk their semen while you're at it too!"

11 hours ago, king mark said:

Sorry Mark, I made a typo. ET comes out next week. CE3K could not be out for a few months. 

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

John Williams talking with La-La Land executives saying "fuck it, baby, just release everything! These pathetic no-life nerds wanting everything, just shove it down their damn throats and extract all of their hard earned cash! Milk their semen while you're at it too!"

Fixed.

do we know if the recording of "Inside the Mothership" on Pops in Space is the actual film version or there's other recording sessions

Because I tried editing that bit into the Collector's Edition  cue and it doesn't work very well

7 hours ago, karelm said:

For this to be truly complete, we need the 200 variants of the five note theme too. 

It's 300+  *in before Jason

But really, you just ruined this release for KM. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Is the "Inside the Mothership" material also in the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Excerpts piece? I have the Pops in Space CD at home in Australia - now in Seoul. I digitized my collection years ago and now I'm unsure if I kept that suite or if I thought it was redundant. There was a also a suite on the "By Request" CD. Is that the same recording as the Pops in Space one? 

I have two suites of around the right length in iTunes, and I don't know where each came from.  One is def. the Williams/Collaboration piece. 

And when does this material start in the Pops in Space piece? I really have no idea what that is, but I've probably heard it many times.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Fuck the password in MOONRAKER.

That was a stupid joke that took an inspired piece if music, and trivialised it to the point of inconsequence.

...or it was a cute joke in a dumb fun movie?

Besides, if a powerful piece of music can't withstand parody then it wasn't powerful in the first place.

For what is worth, here's a cue list I have from Close Encounters.

(it was compiled by that Bill Wrobel rundown plus some additional cues from another source)

R1PA – Let There Be Light
R1PAX – Navy Planes
R1PB – The Lost Squadron
R2P2 – Eleven Commandments
R3/4P1/1 – Trucking
R3/4P1/1  revisited – Into the Tunnel
R4P3 – The First Encounter
R4P5– The Next Encounter
R5P1 – The Shaving Cream Mt
R5P3– The Pillow
R6P1 – False Alarm
R7P1– Barry is Kidnapped
R7P1x – TV Western
R8P2– Star Gazing and the Convoy
R8PX– The Warehouse Scene
R9P1 – Forming the Mountain
R9/10P2/1 – Lava Flow
R10/11P4/1 – Television Reveals
R11P1x– Across the Fields
R11P1X Revised – Across Country
R11/12P2/1 – The Mountain
R12P2– Who Are You People?
R12/13P3/1 – The Escape
R12/13P3/1 Revised – The Escape
R13P2 – Climbing the Mountain
R13/14P3/1 – Out Stretched Hands
R14P3 – The Light Show
R14P4
R15P1 – The Approach
R15P1– Barnstorming
R15P1 – Sweetener
R15P1 – Sweetener (revised) (Doppler Effect)
R15/16P3/1 Revised – The Arrival of the Mothership
R15/16P3/1  – The Arrival of the Mothership
R16P2 – The Conversation Part 1
R16P2A – The Conversation Part 2A
R16P3– The Pilot’s Return
R16/17P4/1 – The Appearance of the Visitors
R17P2 Alternate – The Visitors
R17P3 – End Titles

20 minutes ago, karelm said:

Will this be in the complete, remastered set? 

Even if they wanted to add it, I'm not sure Williams would approve it!

He didn't approve of source music of his son that was used in A.I., and he would approve of this?

3 hours ago, pete said:

Is the "Inside the Mothership" material also in the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Excerpts piece? I have the Pops in Space CD at home in Australia - now in Seoul. I digitized my collection years ago and now I'm unsure if I kept that suite or if I thought it was redundant. There was a also a suite on the "By Request" CD. Is that the same recording as the Pops in Space one? 

I have two suites of around the right length in iTunes, and I don't know where each came from.  One is def. the Williams/Collaboration piece. 

And when does this material start in the Pops in Space piece? I really have no idea what that is, but I've probably heard it many times.

I'm :music: INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP. Yes, it is on the SPIELBERG/WILLIAMS COLLABORATION, and no, it's not the POPS IN SPACE version. The SPIELBERG/WILLIAMS COLLABORATION is a concert arrangement, whereas the POP IN SPACE version was written for the film.

I've got a feeling the BY REQUEST version is the POPS IN SPACE version.

I'm not sure about that, but it snuck onto the OST via way of a free one-sided single, and it even got its own release in the UK (in a picture sleeve, no less, backed with NOCTURNAL PURSUIT).

I'd like to see it included, but, I guess that its up to JW.

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

It was part of the OST, and it's part of the Varèse, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be included.

It was??? :o  I was just kidding.

On 9/3/2017 at 8:52 PM, pete said:

21 hours ago, Richard said:

I'm :music: INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP. Yes, it is on the SPIELBERG/WILLIAMS COLLABORATION, and no, it's not the POPS IN SPACE version. The SPIELBERG/WILLIAMS COLLABORATION is a concert arrangement, whereas the POP IN SPACE version was written for the film.

I've got a feeling the BY REQUEST version is the POPS IN SPACE version.

Thanks for that. I'm still a little confused. When there's mention of the Inside the Mothership material, when exactly in the Spielberg Williams collaboration suite does it appear? 

If this helps clear up anything: these are my notes on my own edit of the finale ("The Appearance of the Visitors / Inside the Mothership / The Visitors / End Credits").

There are two options for the "Inside the Mothership" music (which you can find on Pops in Space, By Request, as well as more recent Boston Pops compilations):
1. Keep the original last track from the SE CD, and then as the last bonus track, put "Inside the Mothership / The Visitors / End Credits (Concert Version)", edited from the Boston Pops track (starting at 2:47). In this way you also have the concert version, which overlaps the ending of The Visitors with the beginning of the End Credits and cuts out the When You Wish upon a Star theme at the ending. Or alternatively just put "Inside the Mothership" recording there (stops at 4:59).
2. Insert the "Inside the Mothership" cue at precisely 5:36,5 in the finale track. The result actually sounds pretty good.
(Note: of course if you want to be precise, the title "The Appearance of the Visitors / Inside the Mothership / The Visitors / End Credits" isn't entirely correct, as there's a short portion of "The Visitors" between "The Appearance of the Visitors" and "Inside the Mothership". By the way, the SE film featured a tracked segment in that place.)

On 04/09/2017 at 2:00 PM, pete said:

Thanks for that. I'm still a little confused. When there's mention of the Inside the Mothership material, when exactly in the Spielberg Williams collaboration suite does it appear? 

On 04/09/2017 at 3:16 PM, fommes said:

If this helps clear up anything: these are my notes on my own edit of the finale ("The Appearance of the Visitors / Inside the Mothership / The Visitors / End Credits").

There are two options for the "Inside the Mothership" music (which you can find on Pops in Space, By Request, as well as more recent Boston Pops compilations):
1. Keep the original last track from the SE CD, and then as the last bonus track, put "Inside the Mothership / The Visitors / End Credits (Concert Version)", edited from the Boston Pops track (starting at 2:47). In this way you also have the concert version, which overlaps the ending of The Visitors with the beginning of the End Credits and cuts out the When You Wish upon a Star theme at the ending. Or alternatively just put "Inside the Mothership" recording there (stops at 4:59).
2. Insert the "Inside the Mothership" cue at precisely 5:36,5 in the finale track. The result actually sounds pretty good.
(Note: of course if you want to be precise, the title "The Appearance of the Visitors / Inside the Mothership / The Visitors / End Credits" isn't entirely correct, as there's a short portion of "The Visitors" between "The Appearance of the Visitors" and "Inside the Mothership". By the way, the SE film featured a tracked segment in that place.)

Pete, I've not much to add to fommes' excellent post, except to say that, if you're thinking if combining tracks, go for the POPS IN SPACE/BY REQUEST version of INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP, and not the SPIELBERG/WILLIAMS COLLABORATION version, as the former is the OST. This will give you the Special Edition ending, and neither the original, nor the Director's Cut ending. Happy editing! :)

Steef, I'm sure that this has been discussed before, and I'm not sure of the recording details. All I can say is that, after living with both SE:CE3K and POPS IN SPACE, for thirty-seven years, it sounds the same, and it feels the same. In fact, I never once thought that it wasn't the same. 

I would very much liked to be proven wrong.

Does anyone have any recording details about either the OST, or the POPS IN SPACE versions of ITM?

And...since WYWUAS was the intended ending, was the END TITLE of the SE tracked, from music recorded in '77?

Aaaaand...if it's advertised by Sony, on the poster, then why is it limited to 5000 units?