Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

6 hours ago, Jay said:

No, that isn't right, lots of mistakes there. Just wait / be willing to give the presented program a try before worrying about it.

Especially the program on disc 2 will be interesting, won't it?

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

So the combined cues on the new set won't prevent C&C edit if one chooses to compile it? Or would this require any editing or rather just rearranging the tracks on the new set?

Looking at that tracklist some of the cues are combined out of order, but each of them is included again on the other disc with a clean opening or ending. This is really cool because it not only allows for chronological playlists, it also gives the discs a fuller program so each can work as a complete experience on its own. This looks like the kind of release I always dream of.

I'm especially excited to check out the pseudo double LP program on Disc 1!

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

Looking at that tracklist some of the cues are combined out of order, but each of them is included again on the other disc with a clean opening or ending. This is really cool because it not only allows for chronological playlists, it also gives the discs a fuller program so each can work as a complete experience on its own. This looks like the kind of release I always dream of.

Do you mean they will be exact duplicates?

because I thought they would be alternates.

I remember CE3K was the third soundtrack LP I bought as a young lad back in 77 / 78.

Barry’s Abduction scared the hell out of me the first time I listened to it.

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It scares the hell out of me every time I listen to it!

Brilliant stuff. 

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Do you mean they will be exact duplicates?

because I thought they would be alternates.

There will be alternates, but there will also technically be some duplicates. Some tracks that are combined with others on Disc 1 will be presented separately on Disc 2 and vice versa. 

You'd need 2 discs anyway to present everything that was recorded, so it's not like it's a waste. It just allows each disc to have a more complete narrative; allows for a Williams style album program on each; and also allows anal fans to create a chronological playlist for themselves. It's the best of 3 worlds really and it didn't even cost us extra.

31 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

It's the best of 3 worlds really and it didn't even cost us extra.

As I hear it in theory (going back and forth between cd1 & 2), I don't share your sentiments but we'll see when we listen to the cd.

4 hours ago, Muldoon said:

There will be alternates, but there will also technically be some duplicates. Some tracks that are combined with others on Disc 1 will be presented separately on Disc 2 and vice versa. 

You'd need 2 discs anyway to present everything that was recorded, so it's not like it's a waste. It just allows each disc to have a more complete narrative; allows for a Williams style album program on each; and also allows anal fans to create a chronological playlist for themselves. It's the best of 3 worlds really and it didn't even cost us extra.

Crescendo Summit seems to be a exact duplicate.

For 80-90 minute scores it is really better to do either two discs of 45 minutes each or to do it like that. Some scores with only 10 minutes on disc 2 are sometimes a bit annoying.

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

Maybe we’ll get the answer to where the cue Night Siege belongs in the film. Or has that ever been answered?

Isn't that just one of Williams' editorially created tracks combining several cues from the film?

France-based MusicBox Records is probably the best European alternative, significantly cheaper than SoundtrackCorner (5-10€ less with delivery) , but stuff like the new E.T. are already sold out.

I’m just glad that by the time I get this around February someone will already have told me the order I need for a complete chronological experience and not have to worry about that myself!

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Where do you buy your specialty soundtrack CDs, other than soundtrackcorner? I need to order them abroad.

I don't order them anywhere else. Now, since I'm in Canada, a friend orders them for me (but still from soundtrackcorner), so that they're already there, when I get back home. Maybe they offer free shipping worldwide this Christmas, as they did last year.

"The end credits with the instrumental arrangement of "When You Wish Upon a Star" was planned from the beginning. It was the first thing recorded on Day 2 of the sessions. After the movie was done, Spielberg decided to use the actual song recording from Pinocchio instead and the movie was dubbed with that in October and was previewed that way. The reaction was not good..."

Naturally! What was Spielberg thinking???

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Nor are there any alternate takes because Ken Wannberg used the original first generation multi-track tapes to edit the performances together.

What does MM mean by this? Are the alternates lost due to Ken Wannberg?

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Williams didn't want the disco track on this release. Simple as. At least that is what MV posted on FSM forum.

EDIT. Some more comments from Mike Matessino from FSM board:

I support the exclusion of the disco version. Stylistically it doesn't fit with the score, and it's just an embarrassment for JW.

Interesting explanation from MM of why the original end titles cue was discarded.

I think the inclusion of "When You Wish Upon a Star" is inspired and wonderful.  But just tracking in a performance from Pinocchio is a bad idea, glad they abandoned that.  Williams arrangement/incorporation into the end credits is just classic people!

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure Disco Stu agrees with you! :)

I like good disco.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think the inclusion of "When You Wish Upon a Star" is inspired and wonderful.  But just tracking in a performance from Pinocchio is a bad idea, glad they abandoned that.  Williams arrangement/incorporation into the end credits is just classic people!

It's indeed masterfully done. 

I've often wondered whether JW/Spielberg had to pay royalties to the right holders of When you wish upon a star because of JW's quotation of the theme, or is the quote so small and concealed that they didn't have to?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I like good disco.

ABBA has got some great disco songs! Much better than the disco versions of JW's great soundtracks. ;)

"Inside" was indeed recorded with the Boston Pops in June 1980, with Spielberg and Michael Kahn present for it on their way to France to start Raiders. It was done that way because of Williams' Pops schedule and the opportunity was taken to integrate the new material into an updated version of the concert suite for Williams' first album with the orchestra, "Pops In Space." That album was done at the same time but the performance of that section is not at all the same as what was done for the film.

Finally, mystery solved! :groupwave:

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I mentioned that months ago, Ricard.

I mentioned that years ago, Steef. But this is the first actual confirmation that the film recording is not the same as the one from the suite.

8 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Maybe we’ll get the answer to where the cue Night Siege belongs in the film. Or has that ever been answered?

"Night Siege" on the original LP has always been nothing more than "Trucking" and "Barnstorming" combined together.