Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

On 11/27/2017 at 1:58 PM, Jay said:

Detailed information for those who want to pick apart things will be given later, everyone should enjoy the new presentations that have been prepared first!

On 11/28/2017 at 11:13 PM, Bespin said:

Large Pizza with extra pepperoni ordered.

1  LLLCD1433  CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND: 40TH ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED (2 CD / 5000 EDITION) 
1  OOPQRSCE062  HEIDI 
1  FSM1106  THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST 
1  FSM1219  BLACK SUNDAY 

Where do they still have Heidi?

Quartet could choose to put their edition back in print in the future.  They did that with their The Long Goodbye after it went OOP; The reissue of it is still in print

http://www.quartetrecords.com/composers/john-williams/the-long-goodbye.html

Just now, Jay said:

Quartet could choose to put their edition back in print in the future.  They did that with their The Long Goodbye after it went OOP; The reissue of it is still in print

http://www.quartetrecords.com/composers/john-williams/the-long-goodbye.html

The Long Goodbye is one of my favorite movies of the '70s, and Williams' score is really excellent in context.  But it's not a score I'd ever want to listen to outside the film.

3 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

If anyone is looking, I still have the original release of Heidi that Came out before Quartet released theirs.

Ah the bootleg... No interest anymore for anyone.

Heidi is really lovely.  Not $50 lovely - no one-disc score is - but original price lovely.  The Long Goodbye is a challenging and worthwhile listen, but not one I'll put on with any regularity.  I could have done without the bonus rehearsal tracks, too, tbh.

Just now, mstrox said:

The Long Goodbye is a challenging and worthwhile listen, but not one I'll put on with any regularity. 

Challenging?  You sure you're not thinking of Images?  Long Goodbye is easy breezy jazzy.

Yeah, like I said above for me it's best enjoyed in the context of the film.  Your mileage may vary I suppose.  "Nice to listen to once or twice" isn't worth 17 Euros to me.

Good stuff though

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, like I said above for me it's best enjoyed in the context of the film.  Your mileage may vary I suppose.  "Nice to listen to once or twice" isn't worth 17 Euros to me.

With many, many releases, I feel like I got much more than my money's worth out of it - they pay dividends!  With The Long Goodbye, I feel like I eventually got about my $20 worth of enjoyment out of it.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think every score John Williams has ever written is worth listening to outside the film.

I agree.  Not every single score is worth 20+ dollars to own separately though, only 99% of them are.  That's just me.  I don't think it denigrates his work in any conceivable way to say so.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The Long Goodbye is one of my favorite movies of the '70s, and Williams' score is really excellent in context.  But it's not a score I'd ever want to listen to outside the film.

well, it's good for a background score while you're doing your chores or browsing in the internet.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm not convinced for Images and Heartbeeps. :sarcasm:

What? these are great scores.

Ok, the avant-garde parts in Images may be off-putting, but Heartbeeps is a very good mainstream Williams score!

Don't let the fame of the film affect you.

Heartbeeps has great moments in the score.

I love the Phil stuff and there's this great choir track near the end , Going to Sleep, which is like a souped up version of the ending of Close Encounters

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

At that price, I'm more than satisfied with the BPO recording of the overture

The overture is lovely, but the most important bit from Heidi is The Miracle.

35 minutes ago, azahid said:

Can you elaborate on 'The Vision' cue? The one that segues from Main Title. Quite curious what exactly it is. 

Just put on the DVD to find out.

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

SAE just confirmed that a copy of Heidi will be put in my order... and that they just added another copy to their online store.

Finally, they have two... or more...

"ONLY ONE COPY AVAILABLE"... What a great selling technique! :sarcasm:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « there is another yoda »

Are you sure you don't want it as a backup? After all, it's the only one left...

CDs are actually my backup, because the first thing and last thing I do with them is to encode them in mp3 for my PC and MP3 player.

I cannot tell the difference between a (properly made) 320kbps mp3 and the original untouched wav file in a blind hearing test

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I cannot tell the difference between a (properly made) 320kbps mp3 and the original untouched wav file in a blind hearing test

Me too, except for live recordings where there are too loud crowd sound, or for heavy strings section, brass section with very high trumpet in an instrumental track.

Those "extremes" generally affects the frequencies that the mp3 can "keep".

I listen to all my music in FLAC (or the actual disc) when I'm at home.  The mp3s are just for my phone