Sign in to follow this  
Andreas

Invisionboard update complete -> 4.2.3

I guess I like the idea of having a variety of positive/neutral ones, but no negative ones.

We briefly had a system in the past that just allowed +1 or -1, and everyone seemed happier when I switched it to just a Like system

BTW I changed it to 50 posts per page of a thread instead of 40 per page, and switched it to 100 threads per forum page instead of 25

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I guess I like the idea of having a variety of positive/neutral ones, but no negative ones.

We briefly had a system in the past that just allowed +1 or -1, and everyone seemed happier when I switched it to just a Like system

When you don't have a way to give a negative, how can you quantify it? 

Haha and Thanks would be useful additions to the Likes system, but it's not a deal breaker.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I agree. I post elsewhere and they have a neg option and I see it being abused.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

But I didn't see the negative ones an an insult to a person, if that's what you or anyone else meant.

You could post the sad face, when he says some bad news or something, and the confused, when you don't understand what he's saying.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can turn the Reaction system back on, or just use some of them, etc.  Here are the current options it gives me:

Reactions.JPG

Basically I can add infinite reactions, choose my own image for each one, and for each one choose if its is +1, neutral, or -1

What do people think?

Maybe I should do a poll?

I'm not sure why you'd want anything beyond a "like" Jay.

At least there aren't any negative/"minus" buttons...I've seen those bring a lot of poison to forums.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

At least there aren't any negative/"minus" buttons...I've seen those bring a lot of poison to forums.

Yea, that's why I don't want them

Is there a way to add a button that instantly clears the response box? 

On mobile, if you hit Quote but change your mind and don't want to quote anymore, or you quoted in a previously submission post and it repeats that, and you accidentally typed something that removes the dialog asking to clear it... The only way to clear it on Mobile is to hop into Source, select all, delete, then go back into normal view. A button that does it quickly would be splendid. 

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm not sure why you'd want anything beyond a "like" Jay.

example:

"It turns out John Williams is retiring from his film music career. He will do only concert work now".

And this post could get many sad faces. I think it's useful!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?

You only think everyone was happier. We didn't have a way to communicate our inner sadness because you didn't give us a way to provide a - 1. Words are not enough. 

You guys don't need to freak out about temporary color changes that are obviously the result of me trying to figure out what option changes what part of the pages

I haven't found any options for the quote system at all...

Oh wow, there's an acronym setting, where I can put in acronyms and when people type them it will auto-expand to full names.  I wonder if we should do that for some stuff?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh wow, there's an acronym setting, where I can put in acronyms and when people type them it will auto-expand to full names.  I wonder if we should do that for some stuff?

I dunno, if someone wants to type an acronym I say leave it an acronym.  And I see potential for the software getting confused.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

example:

"It turns out John Williams is retiring from his film music career. He will do only concert work now".

I think it dumbs down forums, and just makes them like an extended SMS chat. I come hear to read the comments.

I cannot find any setting anywhere that has anything to do with quoting, or even that "feature" where it remembers what you typed in a thread and auto puts it back in even when you've already posted it sometimes

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

You couldn't remove a quote box if you didn't want it anymore without going into source view

Nope. 

On mobile, when I quoted your message, if I keep hitting backspace, it will remove the line where I can type and then jump into the box and erase that text. But the box itself remains, with no way to insert a row before or after the box without removing the box in source and starting over. 

Not sure that's a bug or just the way it is. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I dunno, if someone wants to type an acronym I say leave it an acronym.  And I see potential for the software getting confused.

If I type JW maybe I don't mean John Williams. So don't ruin it for John or Jeff Wayne. 

But you could fix it so that anyone who writes Stef or Stiff or Stiffy or Steffy, it would automatically change it to Steef.

You could set it so Tin Tin would always self-correct. 

Think of all the pointless clarification posts you could remove! 

I figured out a workaround!

You can click the quote box, then click the cut (scissor) icon, and it goes away!

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

What about YouTube clips? Can they be deleted or removed from quoted posts now? It has been impossible to do that on Android without carefully scrutinising source mode.

Try using the Scissor icon?

Yea, the crosshair icon is bugged (I believe it works on iPhones), but clicking the header of the quote then the scissor icon isn't too bad

I wonder if it works for youtube videos too

1 minute ago, Woj said:

It works if you select the cross hair, then the scissors. 

If you hold down on the video, it brings up the menu. A single click opens the app assigned to YouTube videos. 

I was just able to delete that youtube video on my phone from a quote of your post, by clicking the video (which made it start playing), then clicking the crosshairs icon, which made the scissor icon light up, and I clicked that and it went away, while keeping the rest of your post in the quote box.

Why TF would their crosshair icon work on embedded videos but not quote boxes?  

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Awesome tip with the scissors👍

Have we always been able to do that?

Probably, yea.  I never tried before

Actually, selecting the crosshairs does work to delete a quote box, too. I just quoted your message, then deleted it. I'm not convinced my finger selected the title bar either. 

44 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

example:

Yes! Because else we'd never know people here are sad JW won't score films anymore!

You're right, I just tried it too!

I guess the key was the scissor icon, all along!

I was trying to click the crosshairs, then click the backspace button on my keyboard.  That does nothing, but the scissor icon always works.

Of course, it overwrites whatever you had in your clipboard, but that probably won't matter too much

Loving the return of some of the old features! All the white will take some getting used to though.

Thanks Andreas for the updates!

I haven't tested anything out yet, but the response formatting seems more similar to how the old board used to be. Correct me if I'm wrong!

But I see the old quoting system isn't coming back then :P 

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Again, what's wrong with the white? I dn't see more white than there were before.

Just harder to distinguish the posts from each other. A matter of habit, I suppose.

And agreed about the speed!