Do you own the soundtrack of "Lost in Space" (John Williams)?

Josh500

I own the old Vol 1. and Vol. 3 and the 40th Anniversary release from LLL.

I would also say that Lost in Space is very typical 1960's television scoring with a small-ish ensemble, focus more on textures and less on recurring thematic content, giving the show rhythmic intensity and the space exploration a sense of mystery and danger and strangeness. The Williams scored material ranges from 3 to 4 stars in my book.

I have this box, which includes Vol. 1 and Vol. 2:

cd_boxset.jpg

Then I also have Vol. 3, which was released independently by GNP later on.

I did not pick up the 40th anniversary collection, as I already have everything of Williams that I need in these sets.

So far, I only have Volume 1, which I got today.

Original music from JW is in all 3, though?

What's the difference between the releases Vol. 1,2,3 and the 40th anniversary and 50th anniversary releases?

Volume 2 doesn't contain music by Williams apart from the main title theme and the episode scores by other composers utilize Williams' themes.

The 40th anniversary release contains Williams episode scores on disc 1 although in incomplete form. Vol. 1 and 3 of the old releases have some material missing from this anniversary set. 

I assume that the LLL boxed set contains every bit of Williams' music.

King Mark is the resident Lost in Space expert. Perhaps he can further clarify the details on what is found where on these releases.

59 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Volume 2 doesn't contain music by Williams apart from the main title theme and the episode scores by other composers utilize Williams' themes.

The 40th anniversary release contains Williams episode scores on disc 1 although in incomplete form. Vol. 1 and 3 of the old releases have some material missing from this anniversary set. 

I assume that the LLL boxed set contains every bit of Williams' music.

King Mark is the resident Lost in Space expert. Perhaps he can further clarify the details on what is found where on these releases.

Ah, thanks for the info!

I'm excited to listen to Vol. 1 today! First time I'm listening to this.

If I like what I hear, I'm gonna take further steps to get ahold of the other releases. :)

Be aware, though -- this is challenging music. Very dissonant, lots of melodramatic "sturm-und-drang", with some weird 60s psychedelic percussive effects to boot. Thankfully, I listened to the LIS CDs several times in the 90s, so I got accustomed to it, but it's not something I put on very often.

9 minutes ago, king mark said:

I'm a big fan of this music so yeah it's worth getting

Which releases do you have? 

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Only interesting for hardcore collectors. 

Aren't we all? We're on the freaking JWFAN forum! 😂 

I have Vol1, Vol3 (contains My Friend Mr.Nobody), and the 2 c.d. 40th anniversary release (most of the tracks from the previous 2 c.d.'s but but in better sound and in Stereo)

i also have "sampled" the 50th anniversary release. Unfortunately the original Williams conducted tracks have horrible sound quality

So if you want the best overall representation get the 40th anniversary 2 c.d. set and NOT the vol.1 you posted

14 minutes ago, king mark said:

I have Vol1, Vol3 (contains My Friend Mr.Nobody), and the 2 c.d. 40th anniversary release (most of the tracks from the previous 2 c.d.'s but but in better sound and in Stereo)

i also have "sampled" the 50th anniversary release. Unfortunately the original Williams conducted tracks have horrible sound quality

So if you want the best overall representation get the 40th anniversary 2 c.d. set and NOT the vol.1 you posted

So the 40th anniversary edition is better than the 50th?

Doesn't the 40th not include JW conducted pieces? 

Why is the sound quality different? 

The original Williams conducted tracks are only on the 50th I think. I dunno why the sound is shit. Probably only bad sources in  remained

They re-recorded the tracks for use through out the series and that's what on the 40th. (they are on another disk in the 50th).

so yeah the 50th is still the "ultimate" if you want to spend that much.but you get 90% of the Williams music in good quality on the 40th.

No, but I have listened to it. Aside from How To Steal A Million, it's probably my favorite of his 60's work, at least of what I have listened (not much I'll admit). Very much of its time (parts sound a bit jazzy at parts too), but there's a lot of great atmosphere coming from the music. 

2 hours ago, king mark said:

I think it MUCH MUCH better than anything else he composed from that period. And to me his first "iconic" scores

It's actually one of my LEAST favourite scores of Williams' 60s work. But I appreciate it for its more avantgarde nature.

I have the LLL 40th Anniversary edition, which I've listened to once, but never went back.  The GNP Crescendo CDs were released during a time where I was not really collecting stuff like that.  Never cared enough to spend $150 on the big box 50th Anniversary edition.

You guys make it sound like it's very rare that people listen to something once or twice and then never go back to it again.

I gotta admit, that happens to me too, and with JW scores!

For example, rather obscure old scores like Fitzwilly, Not with my wife you don't, Heidi, Jane Eyre, Tom Sawyer, etc. I think I only listened to once or twice. I hardly ever listen to these anyway. Basically, these are just there to fill up my collection.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

For example, rather obscure old scores like Fitzwilly, Not with my wife you don't, Heidi, Jane Eyre, Tom Sawyer, etc. I think I only listened to once or twice. I hardly ever listen to these anyway. Basically, these are just there to fill up my collection.

I have sort of the opposite situation. Those are some of the scores I've played the most in recent years. What I've played the LEAST are the STAR WARSes and HARRY POTTERs and INDIANA JONESes and all the other classics. I listened to these (to death!) in my formative film music years, of course, but I'm often amazed by people who keep gravitating towards these year after year, down on super micro level even, but rarely feel the need to explore and/or enjoy Williams beyond that. It's mirrored in the threads in this forum, with countless threads on the classics, and every conceivable angle to them.

Those scores, the Harry Potters, Star Wars and Indiana Jones, are more frequently topics of discussion on here, not because William's earlier, less known scores are perceived as 'lesser' things, but because they are more iconic and relevant in contemporary settings. This isn't surprising or strange! The scores for those films permeate more topics in popular culture!

I agree with you on listening to them to death though, I think I like to take a break from them every so often.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have sort of the opposite situation. Those are some of the scores I've played the most in recent years. What I've played the LEAST are the STAR WARSes and HARRY POTTERs and INDIANA JONESes and all the other classics. I listened to these (to death!) in my formative film music years, of course, but I'm often amazed by people who keep gravitating towards these year after year, down on super micro level even, but rarely feel the need to explore and/or enjoy Williams beyond that. It's mirrored in the threads in this forum, with countless threads on the classics, and every conceivable angle to them.

33 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Those scores, the Harry Potters, Star Wars and Indiana Jones, are more frequently topics of discussion on here, not because William's earlier, less known scores are perceived as 'lesser' things, but because they are more iconic and relevant in contemporary settings. This isn't surprising or strange!

Oh, I agree. It would be weird if they weren't the main focal point in a place like this. But what surprises me more is that some people are comfortable JUST swirling around these titles -- even after decades of being a JW fan. Maybe I'm the odd one out, but once I've been interested in an artist for a period of time, I want to explore more of what he or she has done, even if it isn't exactly the style that made me fall in love with the artist in the first place.

Seriously, what does it mean to listen to something to death, anyway?

I have never done that, at least with film scores (pop songs, sure). It's like classical music, you can take a piece you really like and listen to it your entire life. It never gets boring. You always come back to it.

18 hours ago, king mark said:

The original Williams conducted tracks are only on the 50th I think. I dunno why the sound is shit. Probably only bad sources in  remained

They re-recorded the tracks for use through out the series and that's what on the 40th. (they are on another disk in the 50th).

so yeah the 50th is still the "ultimate" if you want to spend that much.but you get 90% of the Williams music in good quality on the 40th.

The La-La Land Williams-conducted "The Reluctant Stowaway" is unlistenable. It seems to be demanding a lot of money now, but the 40th was basically the best out of all these CD releases. It's more concise than the 50th set, which has too much music. It also sounds better than the GNP CDs.