The releases you mention are all complete, or extremely close to it. But there's no guarantee they won't be rereleased with minor changes, since this happened with the Home Alones in recent years (they were expanded even further, with what, I don't remember).

I collect tons of music and it's usually based on what I'm excited about. But I try not to buy things in bulk; it's hard to digest music this way, spend time with it, and appreciate it. So I recommend buying them in the order that you're most excited about, one by one. If any go out of print, well, find them through an alternative source and wait until the CD is reprinted.

I remember Empire of the Sun was missing a couple seconds of alternate material, not that I would have noticed that myself. Not sure about the others. But out of Bajak's list, AI, Empire of the Sun, and Jurassic Park are the three scores I'd prioritize.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh yeah, I forgot you're willing to pay 300+% markups for soundtracks.

If I really want it and there's no other way, sure.

Why not? I can afford it. :D

6 minutes ago, Bajak said:

Does La-La Land reissue sold out scores? How often (approximately)?

Generally no. If they do, it's an exception.

But like I said, even if a CD sells out, you can still get it on the second hand market, most likely.

1. Hook has many flaws, that MM would never approve, like film stems as sources, album compilations not seperated, missing inserts, film versions in the bonus section, hardly any real bonus tracks (3 discs would be required)

2. It's one of Williams' most beloved scores and is OOP

3. MM knows what the reaction would be if LLL just re-released the 2012 version

4. Meanwhile, Williams is much more open-minded and accepts MM's decision in creating a chronological score program

5. There's still reason to expand the old Hook expansion, since it's far from a definitive version

The only problem, that prevents a better Hook from being released is the fact that some of the original sources of some cues cannot be found. But all in all, it promise you, as far as the find these fucking sources, Master MM is gonna work on it and make a 3 disc definitive version that satisfies even the most extreme JWFan!

2 minutes ago, Bajak said:

How serious is this? I know that the expanded score had been released in 2010 and then it was expanded even more, but is it really released every year? And is there anything vital that could be released in another release of Home Alone or is it complete?

Buy the current LLL release (the 25th anniversary one).  It's got every score cue and every pop song.

I don't really understand what's going on in this thread. My opinion is:

You should buy all the LLL JWs CDs that are currently for sale. No better versions are coming. 

You should also track down 1941, which is out of print. No better version will ever come. 

You should not track down the OOP Poseidon Adventure or Hook. The markup from being sold by hounds isn't worth it since those releases weren't definitive. 

I did buy the LLL 1941 for the reason Jay mentioned (it's definitive and unlikely to be reissued) used and marked up, but it was only 10 bucks more than LLL's price so it wasn't too bad.  I pirated Hook.

I didn't really know about the existence of specialty labels until 2014.

29 minutes ago, Bajak said:

Wow, thanks. That's actually the answer I was looking for. As for not understanding the point of the thread, I just don't want to rush into buying something that will be in a year replaceable by a much superior set and I thought this was an ideal place to ask people who know a lot about this stuff, how likely it is that that will happen, although I know that no one can know anything for sure. For example let's say I'd purchase the 2002 E.T. release in July. Well, now with the new release coming I would regret buying the 2002 one and not waiting for this one (sure, I would happily own both releases, if I could afford it). I hope my intentions are clearer now.

But your answer (as well as all the other) is very helpful to me. Knowing that these releases are mostly definitive solves my dilemma.

Yea, I completely understand your original question and the existence of the thread, just was confused by some of the responses you got. 

It's worth mentioning that the label that releases an expansion isn't as important as the producer who put the release together, and Mike Matessino is the cream of the crop in that regard. And that while LLL has released a lot of expansions of Spielberg film scored lately, the definitive edition of Jaws he put together was released by Intrada Records. 

And finally, Williams has written lots of great music to films not directed by Spielberg too.  Check out this list to help figure out which scores have been worked on by specialty labels and which haven't, to help plan your purchases. 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24564-john-williams-scores-by-studio/

4 minutes ago, Bajak said:

Is there any way to find out how many units of a certain product does La-La Land have in stock, apart from mailing them?

If they make any low stock announcements about any of their JW releases, I bump the relevant thread. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You should not track down the OOP Poseidon Adventure or Hook. The markup from being sold by hounds isn't worth it since those releases weren't definitive. 

The LLL releases? No. The original releases (FSM and Epic)? Yes, they were. Don't assume something is "definitive" for everyone just because it fits your own criteria.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

The LLL releases? No. The original releases (FSM and Epic)? Yes, they were. Don't assume something is "definitive" for everyone just because it fits your own criteria.

Please, don't start discussing the meaning of the term "definitive". Not again.