Was E.T. Adventure (Botanicus Theme) one of your most wanted unreleased Williams piece?

King Mark

Was E.T. Adventure (Botanicus Theme) one of your most wanted unreleased Williams piece?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Was E.T. Adventure (Botanicus Theme) one of your most wanted unreleased Williams piece?

I never wanted to go to Universal or Disney, because I was a kid who liked roller coasters and the parks that fit as many as they could within the grounds.  I thought "attractions" and "shows" were boring as hell.  I honestly don't know how I feel now, I don't go to theme parks much anymore.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I didn't even know of its existance, until we started endlessly discussing it, two weeks ago.

This. Still haven't heard it. I hope it's good.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Nothing looks good with a built in flash.

Fixed that for you.

There were threads discussing it in the past. I'm sure these people who claim or think they've never heard of it actually have. Of course, the search function on this forum makes the old threads impossible to locate.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I guess you were still an FSMer rather than a JWfanner when the bootleg track was making the rounds here.

Possibly. Or perhaps I ignored it. In recent years I haven't paid much attention to boots anymore, since for now it looks like everything that surfaces will eventually be released anyway. But I've been here longer than I've had this mind set.

It was definitely one of my most wanted unreleased pieces.  So is everything Williams wrote from, like, 1975-1993.  If it's during that time period and it's unreleased, I want it.  If it's a fuckin' forty-second concerto for untuned banjo, I WANT IT.

But even so, yeah, this one ranked pretty high for me. 

No. Never been on the E.T. ride or to Universal at all.  So I've never heard the piece and was only ever vaguely aware it from discussions about it here.  I'm glad to have it though and look forward to hearing some "new" 1980s Williams.

Just now, Stefancos said:

So TESB isn't an 80's score either?

It's a real conundrum, just like The Clash's London Calling.  Is it the best album released in the '80s?  Is it the last great album of the '70s?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It's a real conundrum, just like The Clash's London Calling.  Is it the best album released in the '80s?  Is it the last great album of the '70s?

It was released in December, 1979, and that makes it a 70s album.

Sigh.  Yes it is.  No Americans heard that album in the 70s.  And most British listeners would've gotten most familiar with it in 1980.  I'm not saying I'm calling it an 80s album, but there's a clear gray area you annoying man.

It was released in 1980 in America.  It was perfectly valid for Rolling Stone, an American magazine, to name it the best album of the 80s (which it did in 1989).

And the Village Voice, an American alt-weekly, named it the best album of 1980 that year.

On 9/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, king mark said:

what's the story in the ride.   I forgot

There is an introduction by Steven Spielberg, which has three versions. The latest was recorded in 2002. They didn't even bother to film him with E.T. and just pasted him onto the older footage. Anyway, we'll go off the second version, which was easily the best. It opens like the movie, but the camera pans down to show Spielberg in the forest. He tells us that E.T.'s home the Green Planet is dying and needs his magic healing touch. E.T.'s teacher Botanicus has sent an urgent message that E.T. must come home. We will take E.T. back to the Green Planet with bikes (!) and an Interplanetary Passport (!!), to which our name is recorded in the next room by computer and then handed to the person before we enter the ride. This ensures E.T. will personally say goodbye to us. We enter the forest, which is absolutely amazing and has the greatest smell of all time. There are spacemen looking for E.T. like in the movie, the Speak & Spell radar and occasionally a "hologram" of Botanicus appears urging us to take E.T. home while John Williams original music plays. If I was rich, this would be the interior of my house.

We board the bikes and have to escape police and United States government agents. This time, the chase is in the woods rather than a residential area. A jeep and truck pop out of the woods, flashlight beams shine from the darkness, we ride over a police car like in the movie and eventually escape by flying over the city, a really big miniature version of Los Angeles with the silhouette of bikes flying across the moon. It's like the London scene from the Peter Pan ride at Disney, only better. We briefly fly through space, which also looks like the Peter Pan ride and then arrive on the Green Planet, which is signaled by very loud blasts of fog, a classic Universal Studios effect also used in the Jaws ride when the shark pops out of the water, which makes even less sense as there isn't a spaceship or alien world on that ride to attribute such an occurrence to. You see all these bizarre aliens on the planet that E.T. has revived and hear more Williams music. There are baby E.T.s celebrating and finally, E.T. says goodbye to everyone.