The History of the One Ring vs. Hedwig's Theme

John

The History of the One Ring vs. Hedwig's Theme  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme do you prefer?

• The History of the One Ring (composed by Howard Shore)
    • Hedwig's Theme (composed by John Williams)

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

When normies refer to an LOTR "main theme" they always mean either the Shire theme or the Fellowship theme.

This.

But the work as a whole is hardly one built on a single "principle theme". Much like Wagner's cycle, there are certain themes that are more upfront melodically, and those that have more screen-time (hence why most audiences would latch on to the Fellowship Theme and the Shire theme), but trying to designate any one theme the status of "main theme" is a pointless exercise. 

2 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

I heard somewhere that Shore originally intended for the "History of the Ring" to be the theme for Gondor, as that is the reason the cue plays during the

scene when the Fellowship passes the Argonath in FOTR, but then was later designated the theme for the One Ring itself, as well as the trilogy.

No, that's not right. Shore mentions the music in that scene as being Gondorian in the commentary track on the DVD because the original version of the cue featured the Gondor theme.  The version used in the film (and OST CD) is a rewrite.

If you buy Doug's book, it comes with a bonus CD of unreleased cues, one of which is the Gondor theme version of the cue.

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, that's not right. Shore mentions the music in that scene as being Gondorian in the commentary track on the DVD because the original version of the cue featured the Gondor theme.  The version used in the film (and OST CD) is a rewrite.

Ah, I see.

47 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

???

He had the most helpful comment here. The right argument to identify a film's main theme.

No.  It's reductive to the point of irrelevance, which is something I've found his arguments often are, hence my dismissal.  What's the "main theme" of Wagner's Ring?  Parsifal?  The notion of an obvious central theme being a necessity is something native to film music, and Shore's scores have their roots so firmly in these larger operatic traditions that it seems nonsensical to wonder about whether something could or should be classed as its main theme, and that the lack of one is a weakness in some way.  

I'm not a massive fan of Potter music in general but Hedwig's theme is as famous as any theme as Williams has ever composed. it's no competition. Fellowship theme is bit more of a competition but still not enough. But then, Shore's music sets different goals for itself. It was never really about famous movie tunes.

Karol

21 hours ago, KK said:

This.

But the work as a whole is hardly one built on a single "principle theme". Much like Wagner's cycle, there are certain themes that are more upfront melodically, and those that have more screen-time (hence why most audiences would latch on to the Fellowship Theme and the Shire theme), but trying to designate any one theme the status of "main theme" is a pointless exercise. 

There's the three-note-"good" thing going on, but that's more like a word used in different phrases, and the scales and tonalities associated with stuff, which same