THUNDER ROAD - new La-La Land CD features Johnny Williams on Piano!

Jay

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I still can't get FSM's ancient forum to come up to find the post

Will they sue me if I left the 2015 release on my website? :lol:

1 minute ago, Jay said:

No.

That was a joke I made, I understand what you are saying.

There's only one other entry I left on my website, altough it's a known bootleg, but it's only to show that for some years, it was the "only" option for collectors. It's a thing about documentation, there's no science behind that. My website don't promote bootlegs, but in some cases, it's important to show that there were important "gaps" or "lacks".

In Europe only

p_lxe707.jpg

Heidi [Original Motion Picture Score] (1968) (1995, Label X, LXE 707)

Main Title; Arrival; The Alm; The Old Man And The Child; Dancers In The Night (Love Theme); The Sleeping Child; Meditation; Shadows; Reflections; Alone In Zurich; Love Theme; The Miracle; Finale ; A Place Of My Own (Vocal).

Here is the definitive word from the horse's mouth

THUNDER ROAD??? I wonder what that entails. It was pulled from circulation when Bear Family tried to release it in 2015, as I'm sure everyone remembers. The trauma put Jim Doherty into a coma.
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=109084&forumID=1&archive=0

It was a bootleg and not officially licensed. We had been working with the Mitchum Estate and Frank Marshall, Jack Marshall's son (you may have heard of Frank -- he is the Marshall in Marshall/Kennedy and has made a few successful films). It took a little time, but the end result is fantastic! Jack Marshall is best known as the Munsters composer, but his other film work is truly amazing.

Oh, and a little known pianist by the name of Johnny Williams worked with him. 

;)

MV

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=121218&forumID=1&archive=0

"pulled from circulation".  ok I see.

WHY DON'T YOU WROTE THAT BEFORE??? LOL

In two seconds, this entry will be removed from my website.

Done.

With Jack Marshall

p_LLLCD1434.jpg

Thunder Road - The Film Music of Jack Marshall (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1434)

"Thunder Road": Featuring John T. Williams (p). Previously unreleased original scores from Thunder Road (1958), Take a Giant Step (1959) and The Rabbit Trap (1959).

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm guessing it would be WELL below 100. My guess is in the 50s at the most. We have charted what, about 30-40 so far? There's still a lifetime worth of research into Williams' piano sessions for film, tv and studio albums.

I was not aware of Williams' involvement in THUNDER ROAD, however. Neat!

I was thinking of sessions for television or film scores. Williams worked as pianist on a number of other projects that were solely musical. If we put all those together, I'm pretty sure we get more than 50 recordings as pianist.

5 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I was thinking of sessions for television or film scores. Williams worked as pianist on a number of other projects that were solely musical. If we put all those together, I'm pretty sure we get more than 50 recordings as pianist.

Yes, if we include studio albums in addition to TV and film, we might.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

How many different feature films exist where one can hear JW's piano playing in the film?

Features, not TV work.

We haven't charted them all yet, so it's difficult to give a number. Particularly the years 1956 and 1957 have several holes; we KNOW he did session work in film and tv in these years, but we have very few titles actually confirmed.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

It's not a grey zone, though.  The other release was illegal.  This one is not.  I don't understand your problem with these facts.

Don't let facts get in the way of his feelings! ;)