Have we reached peak Hans Zimmer?

Alex

17 hours ago, publicist said:

Oh! Well from that interview, he didn't sound like he interested in doing the film in the first place anyway. 

19 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

I still remember in the 1990s when people were saying the same thing about Williams. 

Because yes, every Williams score sounded like Williams and every non-Williams score sounded like bad Williams. 

I thought era of Williams score was more 1980s? Zimmer's influence was more apparent in the 1990's after all, for obvious reasons. 

12 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

One morning I came home after being out all night...a friend had opened up a new Italian restaurant in London near Covent Garden and we closed the place down, then helped ourselves to his wine cellar.  When I got home I collapsed on the couch but didn't feel like sleeping (or so I thought) so I popped in the Gladiator DVD.  Fell asleep like 5 minutes later of course.  Eventually, the movie played through and the DVD switched back to the menu screen, which looped 60 seconds from the main theme as the menu reset.

Over. And over. And over. For 12 hours. Having drank all night, I was constantly in that half awake/asleep dream state where time and space have no meaning and I couldn't figure out why I kept hearing the same piece of music again and again, and how long was this movie anyway?  Didn't even have the energy or presence of mind to reach for the remote and turn it off. That thing turned into an ear worm that stayed with me until it was mercifully replaced by Hedwig's Theme.

Not that there's anything wrong w/the Gladiator score, but after that, I didn't want to hear anything from Zimmer and pretty much ignored everything he did soundtrack wise until Interstellar.

Some nights though, I wake up in a cold sweat and can still hear it...the screaming of the Hans.

Wow! I can see why that would affect you. Some themes are ear-worms for all the wrong reasons after all. 

Anyways, apparently Johan second coming of Jesus was not a versatile enough composer to handle a movie like this. So they brought Zimmer on board to help. 

Why is Zimmer catching flack?

There is a growing trend that new composers are highly specialized freaks. Like an athlete who only has biceps. They write one style and one style only. Compared to Goldsmith, Williams, Horner, or Zimmer THAT is the most shameful and sad trend in film music. 

It’s weird. Through that lens, Hans Zimmer is the last of a dying breed, not the problem. He is prolific because he is a true film composer of the caliber and versatility of the greats. 

I think FSM sucks, and I find it to be much more vitriolic than this place. And just a lot of arguing and idiocy interspersed with interminable smugness where people say things like "why isn't Georges Delerue in your list of top one composers."  Mostly people who don't know as much as they think they do.

This is by far the best film score forum on the net.

@Nick1066It would have bloody results if a bunch of JWFans and FSMs coincidentally met on the street.

@TheGreyPilgrimYou also loathe JW's extremely uncreative and dull phase from 2000-2005?

@ThorAlthough I am not a huge Zimmer fan, I must admit that Interstellar is truly a fantastic score, powerful, emotional and above all new! I barely expect him to top that, so, yes, he just went past his peak.

Williams has had several "golden ages", IMO. Late 70s to early 80s is one. Early to mid 90s is another. Early to mid 2000s a third.

You could say the same about Zimmer.

3 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Doug Adams can’t keep the complete LOTR in print. So he’s an amazing but otherwise useless individual with a Twitter account. 

What production tasks the liner notes guy with keeping the set in print?

What's with all the Zimmer hate? Yes, his work is occasionally inconsistent in quality, but when he gets it right, he really hits the nail on the head. He's a good composer.

7 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

What's with all the Zimmer hate?

It's not the man himself that the haters have a problem with, it's the way his music is everywhere and at the same time. Everything has to be Zimmer. Heck, other composers gets sacked from projects simply because they are not Zimmer. Of course, if you like the Zimmer sound, then he's an absolute godsend. This is his age! I'm pretty sure that, a few decades ago, when John Williams sat on the throne, there were many JW haters too. 

Williams sure did that but that was more due to the uniformity of movies he took on (from 1977 till around 'Accidental Tourist'). Still a completely different matter being asked to provide a sophisticated orchestral score (say Broughton in 'Young Sherlock Holmes' or Goldsmith in 'Poltergeist') than to just duplicate the dour and simplistic ostinati and basses from Dark Knight.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's not the man himself that the haters have a problem with, it's the way his music is everywhere and at the same time. Everything has to be Zimmer. Heck, other composers gets sacked from projects simply because they are not Zimmer. Of course, if you like the Zimmer sound, then he's an absolute godsend. This is his age! I'm pretty sure that, a few decades ago, when John Williams sat on the throne, there were many JW haters too. 

That's one of the main problems I have with the socalled "Zimmer bashing". People seem to conflate the fact that he's influential and has many "copycats" with the man's own music. In reality, of course, Zimmer himself continually tries to renew himself, and challenge whatever sound he made trendy. Whenever someone is doing Zimmer á la INCEPTION, for example, the man himself has long since moved on to other things.