What kind of JWfan are you?

Bespin

What kind of JWfan are you?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What describes you the most in terms of JW collecting?

• Casual fan (I buy only what I like)
    • Vintage fan (LPs, LPs, LPs)
    • Vintage + (LPs, some CDs & Expanded Sets)
    • Newbie (New CDs only and/or new Expanded Sets Only)
    • Newbie + (New CDs + Expanded Sets)
    • Score fan (Old & New Score CDs, Expanded Sets of scores, may include some Collaborations and Concert works)
    • Collector (Old CDs, new CDs, Expanded Sets)
    • Collector + (Old CDs, new CDs, Expanded Sets, Collaborations, may include some Concert works)
    • Completist (LPs, Old CDs, New CDs, Expanded Sets, Collaborations, Concert Works, everyhting!)
    • Other, please describe

Very, very selective listener - the opposite of a collector essentially. I tend to buy soundtracks these days for maybe a bunch of cues, not the whole thing. In some cases it means creating a nice 20-30 minute listening experience from an album - a bit Thor-like, except I get to choose what's included.

I did another cull at the weekend - I always tended to keep certain scores or cues because they're classic or 'essential', but I decided that the latter is essentially telling fans what to like, so I removed a whole load of stuff I never listen to.

They are many casual fans are among us.

Gentlement we must spread and propel the Gospel of John Williams. 

It means to work harder.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I still don't like how "casualness" is defined by how much money you've spent on releases.  I don't buy into this classist paradigm!

Disco, take this with humor.  I was just updating my blacklist, you are not on it. Be safe!

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I AM JWfan!

What a vivid imagination ;)

I'd like to describe myself as a "potential completist".

When I started-out collecting JW, it was a lot easier. There were no downloads, no bootlegs to speak of, no expanded releases, no CRs, no isolated scores, no 5.1 mixes. There was just the OST. You either took it, or you left it. I took it, and ran!

Over the years, I read about JW, and his work, and bought more and more of his music. 

Fast forward to now, and my collection is nowhere near complete. Although I have approaching 150 JW CDs, I still want more. If I had the money, I'd buy recordings of every single note available, but, sometimes I need to make a choice between music, and paying the rent, or putting gas in the car, or food, or clothes, or...you get the point.

The thread asks "what kind of JW are you?" I know that the emphasis is on what, how, and why we buy his music, but I'd like expand that say that I really don't care what kind of fan we are. JWfan is made up of people who buy, listen to, and discuss his music. By doing that, we are keeping his music alive. We are loyal, we are respectful, and we enjoy the experience. That's the kind of JWfan we are.

I can't enjoy everything the guy composes when his work is so diverse. It is a very hard career to follow. It's stylistically designed to be that way and you can't undo that, but we can diminish the effects of it by only listening to the music we enjoy.

Friends is nothing but characters even more monstrously narcissistic and awful than on Seinfeld, but the difference is that Seinfeld (the show) knows its characters are monstrous narcissists.  It's the whole point.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Universal includes all people ... black, white, and the race of the Bespin.

Let's clear the question. First, it's in english, I don't watch sitcoms period, and I don't watch sitcoms in english.  I know a lot of people who watched Seinfeld and they all looked to me as very weird persons.  I don't really like comedies... or sitcoms. End of discussion. Oh yes, and I'm a gay man, so I don't like basic jokes of heterosexual mens trying to date women.  It's boring like hell.

Do this answer your question about the supposed "universality" of what you think is universal?

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Oh yes, and I'm a gay man, so I don't like basic jokes of heterosexual mens trying to date women.  It's boring like hell.

Do this answer your question about the supposed "universality" of what you think is universal?

Yes, you're saying that you only watch things about gays and made by gays . Now I know what you mean by "far removed from your culture". Luckily, I'm hetero, I watch anything, no matter for what "culture" it is made for. 

BTW, Seinfeld is universal because it's about the silly little things of life. It's not a show about men trying to date women. That's Friends!

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I know a lot of people who watched Seinfeld and they all looked to me as very weird persons.

I don't know whether that's a compliment or an insult.

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, you're saying that you only watch things about gays and made by gays .

Huhhh... Did you watched the excellent series "Six feet under"? If not, I recommend it to you. I absolutely loved this series (btw It's not just about gays).

Now I will return listening to John Wiliams, Charles Aznavour and Roy Orbison, three big gay icons.

On 19-9-2017 at 10:53 PM, Evil-Lyn said:

I have a gigantic box of stuff I don't even listen to that I cruelly dumped in the back of my truck the last time I moved across the country. No one stole it, but I wouldn't have cared.

20994297_10156634331908009_2585112190313

That's what kind of JWFan I am. As for the Wreckers jewel case, I'm not sure what that's doing there. The CD was safe.

Yeah, right! As if you don't listen to Stepmom! You're not fooling us!

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Huhhh... Did you watched the excellent series "Six feet under"? If not, I recommend it to you. I absolutely loved this series (btw It's not just about gays).

It's one of my favorite TV shows and it's conceived by the great Alan Ball.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Friends is nothing but characters even more monstrously narcissistic and awful than on Seinfeld, but the difference is that Seinfeld (the show) knows its characters are monstrous narcissists.  It's the whole point.

Yes. Friends is a rarely funny, always sappy corny crapfest.  Seinfeld is... art!

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yes. Friends is a rarely funny, always sappy corny crapfest.  Seinfeld is... art!

That's what everyone seems to think. Everyone loves Seinfeld and thinks its brilliant. Friends is the more left-field choice.