What kind of JWfan are you?

Bespin

What kind of JWfan are you?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What describes you the most in terms of JW collecting?

• Casual fan (I buy only what I like)
    • Vintage fan (LPs, LPs, LPs)
    • Vintage + (LPs, some CDs & Expanded Sets)
    • Newbie (New CDs only and/or new Expanded Sets Only)
    • Newbie + (New CDs + Expanded Sets)
    • Score fan (Old & New Score CDs, Expanded Sets of scores, may include some Collaborations and Concert works)
    • Collector (Old CDs, new CDs, Expanded Sets)
    • Collector + (Old CDs, new CDs, Expanded Sets, Collaborations, may include some Concert works)
    • Completist (LPs, Old CDs, New CDs, Expanded Sets, Collaborations, Concert Works, everyhting!)
    • Other, please describe

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I'm a Collector +!

I collect all JW CDs, old and new.

Actually I would call myself Completist, but I don't collect LPs! I collect all JW MUSIC, but not all music on all MEDIA!

Same here.  I collect recordings on CD of all JWs compositions.  I have some but not all of his albums as conductor or performer.  Not sure what the poll option for this would be...

In terms of JW, I guess I qualify as a collector. But with my own parameters that are not covered by the poll options. I'm a "title completist", as I like to call it, which means that I have to own a good representation of every single title in JW's composition catalogue (as opposed to "every single note he's ever composed"). For the other stuff (piano, arranging, conducting etc.), I'm more casual. I have quite a few of these, but I have no completist mentality.

In terms of soundtracks/film music in general, I'm more of an explorer and "enjoyer". Not really a collector the same way.

In a broader sense, I also consider myself a "film music missionary", since I'm very occupied with informing people about the virtues of film music -- whether through seminars, lectures, radio shows, articles etc. In fact, that is very much my literal profession at the present time. Gotta convert them heathens! ;)

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

I am pretty much just like you, only successful. 

So I'm not? I don't understand.  

This is sometimes when my comprehension of english stops.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I know Seinfeld, but never watched it. That's too far from my culture.

So I understand the comment, it was a mean one.

Pretty much the same as Jason.  I don't listen to bootlegs or sessions or even FYCs, but I support and listen to every major and minor release, with maybe a few exceptions in the first decade or so of his career.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am a completest in terms of owning every legal commercial CD ever pressed of his work.  I have no interest in LPs.

I don't remember seeing you wrote that you collect all the old BPO CDs.  You're pretty much a "score collector" I think,

I created a category especially for you, thinking it will suits you!

I have been slowing buying the old Boston Pops CDs he conducted.  Like time I was in Amoeba Records I found a bunch and bought them

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have been slowing buying the old Boston Pops CDs he conducted.  Like time I was in Amoeba Records I found a bunch and bought them

I bought a whole bunch of them used on the Amazon marketplace since you can usually get them for under 10.

I suppose a cross between Collector+ and casual fan since I make an effort to get everything, but there are some releases that I just don't need or desire.  Occasionally I'll go through a patch where I gather up a bunch of stuff I missed.  I only do this with Williams.  I'm very casual with everyone else and rarely buy score-related releases outside of Williams.

I really just want the music, and I don't really care how I get it or what format it's in.  I own very nearly every score/album Williams has released from 1969 - present, but it's a mix of pirated, legal digital purchase, and CD rips.

I guess casual fan. I've got a few of his CDS, but I listen to a lot of his other work from different sources, and I don't go out of why to buy everything Williams related out there either, especially since some of it can be pretty expensive to buy on its own.

So Collector +  ( since I don't seek out all his 1960's scores)   but  include Bootlegs/Rec sessions

There should have been an option specifically including Bootlegs /leaked sessions to differentiate between the goody two shoes from the real fans ready to go to any length to get the music or have spent countless hours editing files from videogames to get bits of music

1 hour ago, king mark said:

There should have been an option specifically including Bootlegs /leaked sessions to differentiate between the goody two shoes from the real fans ready to go to any length to get the music or have spent countless hours editing files from videogames to get bits of music

Definitely a 'bootleg acquirer' here, but only for the scores that have no release whatsoever. Many, if not most of them are my own audio rips from the respective movies (the segments that don't contain much dialogue or sound effects).

1 hour ago, king mark said:

So Collector +  ( since I don't seek out all his 1960's scores)   but  include Bootlegs/Rec sessions

I'm a goody two shoes, but I also find that I appreciate expansions more when there is more new music.  It's been over a decade now since I've stopped, but was still let down by the expansions of Indy 2, Indy 3, and Hook - because the lack of "new" music.

Especially with sessions leaks now, I can imagine a lot of people would shrug at the prospect of, say, a Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone expansion - which, first of all, leads to lack of support for those expansions.  I've heard non-industry people say that bootlegs don't hurt expansions, but I know for a fact that MV has lamented bootlegs' impact on sales of certain titles.  But regardless, just from my excitement level - to me, a Harry Potter expansion would be like 50% new music.  That's exciting to me.  It's not really a moral issue.  I spend money to support the people who feed my addiction, and I don't feel cheated when I do, because I always get something new for that money.

I have a gigantic box of stuff I don't even listen to that I cruelly dumped in the back of my truck the last time I moved across the country. No one stole it, but I wouldn't have cared.

20994297_10156634331908009_2585112190313

That's what kind of JWFan I am. As for the Wreckers jewel case, I'm not sure what that's doing there. The CD was safe.

I'm a selective listener. Back in my hipster completist days, I would listen to Rosewood and Cinderella Liberty, for instance, and pretend I was enjoying it and that everything the man composed was great. Deep down, I just wanted to listen to E.T., Jaws, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter etc.

53 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I'm a selective listener. Back in my hipster completist days, I would listen to Rosewood and Cinderella Liberty, for instance, and pretend I was enjoying it and that everything the man composed was great. Deep down, I just wanted to listen to E.T., Jaws, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter etc.

That appears to be a fairly common phenomenon around here.