Right now, who are your Top 5 film composers?

Josh500

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Mozart can be quite dull in fact.

@Josh500With the last few sentences I intended to be funny by quoting Quentin Tarantino.

When did he ever mention Mozart? 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Alexandre Desplat is a runner up, along with James Newton Howard.

I'm actually surprised not more people mention JNH. How many JNH scores do you own? 

I own only 2, but I like them well enough. The Fugitive and ER. 

JNH has done some great stuff.  The Village is probably his best, in my opinion, but there's Waterworld, Unbreakable, Dinosaur, Atlantis, Lady in the Water, Treasure Planet ... Signs ... probably lots of other good ones that aren't leaping to mind.  He'd be in my top ten, I think.

1 hour ago, Bryant Burnette said:

JNH has done some great stuff.  The Village is probably his best, in my opinion, but there's Waterworld, Unbreakable, Dinosaur, Atlantis, Lady in the Water, Treasure Planet ... Signs ... probably lots of other good ones that aren't leaping to mind.  He'd be in my top ten, I think.

No love for The Fugitive?

This is a case where I saw the movie, and immediately I had to get the music. The helicopter chase in particular is fantastic. 

9 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

No love for The Fugitive?

This is a case where I saw the movie, and immediately I had to get the music. The helicopter chase in particular is fantastic. 

Great score. Even as a kid I remember the opening music drawing me in immediately. The use of electronics was very effective. 

His work is good, effective and he has given us some interesting stuff over the last 15 years... his name will be more and more frequent in the next decade, then... is normal. Even me, i've never seen lost :sarcasm:, since ratatouille, have a eye on what he does. 

5 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Let me help you

GRAND CANYON

Okay, quick, everybody that mentioned Michael Giacchino! 

Which are your Top 3 scores by him?! I'll listen to these in the next few days and then decide whether I'll start collecting Giacchino! 

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Which are your Top 3 scores by him?! I'll listen to these in the next few days and then decide whether I'll start collecting Giacchino! 

Speed Racer

Up

Let Me In

Gives you a good range of tones, too

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Tomorrowland

Super 8

Star Trek Beyond

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I can't do 3, I'm gonna do top 5.

1. Tomorrowland

2. Jupiter Ascending

3. John Carter

4. Star Trek Into Darkness

5. Inside Out

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Tomorrowland

Super 8

Star Trek Beyond

I very easily could've chosen Beyond instead of Into Darkness.  Both of those are pretty equal to me, and both much better than '09.

Well between the three of us, we've given 10 scores, and only Tomorrowland repeated.  So there we go!  (I didn't really like Tomorrowland at all - maybe I need to see the movie and hear its context)

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well between the three of us, we've given 10 scores, and only Tomorrowland repeated.  So there we go!  (I didn't really like Tomorrowland at all - maybe I need to see the movie and hear its context)

I think it would help, yes.  You might not like the film, but you will get what ideals the themes represent.

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

01. John Carter

He, he...same here. Interestingly, that's the only MG I like and own. All the others I've heard, I've deleted. But I also appreciate LOST in context (less so on album).

I want to do Top 5 JNH instead:

1. Waterworld

2. Snow Falling on Cedars

3. Wyatt Earp

4. The Saint of Fort Washington

5. The Village

Maybe it's a bias of mine, but I've always felt that Giacchino somehow represents the newer modern sort of film composers that don't stand a chance against the old true masters. These are the sort that don't write memorable melodies (if they write melodies at all!) but instead rely on tone and atmosphere alone. 

But I'm happy to be proven wrong!

9 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I'm actually surprised not more people mention JNH. How many JNH scores do you own? 

I own only 2, but I like them well enough. The Fugitive and ER. 

Sadly, none. I think there are a few I would like to buy, but I've often neglected them for scores by other composers.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Giacchino's strength is melodies IMO!  His weaknesses are technique, harmony, orchestration, etc. where he tends to be a bit simplistic. 

He is equally simplistic in melody. 

1 minute ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Williams, Shore, Zimmer, Hurwitz and Giacchino.

Really?  Hurwitz?  I love La La Land more than is typical on the board, but I'd still consider him a "promising newcomer."  He needs a larger body of work before I'd consider him for such lists.

Just now, SafeUnderHill said:

I can't think of another composer whose work I admire as much right now.

I don't consider volume of work as a factor in my choice of favourite composer.

Fair enough!  It just caught me off-guard.

It's crazy that at the age of 32, Hurwitz already has two Oscars, two Golden Globes, and a host of other awards under his belt for his score for La La Land. Who knows, maybe he'll be the next Williams.

You never know.  Few would have predicted the heights Williams would soar to in the day of Bachelor Flat and Valley of the Dolls.  I'm not sure how interested Hurwitz is in being a traditional film composer, though.  He has yet to work on anything that isn't a long-term collaboration with Chazelle.

I'm really interested in Hurwitz score to Chazelle's The First Man. It'll give him opportunity to work on a non based music film, and do something different. I'd also like to see him branch-out and work with different directors. Despite his success, is he just not getting many offers? 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Like Whiplash?

That was about a drummer, so technically it could still be a considered a film about music. It's just not a "musical" per-say.