Right now, who are your Top 5 film composers?

Josh500

Just now, Baby Jane Hudson said:

1. Junkie XL

2. Hans Zimmer

3. Steve Jablonsky

4. Ramin Djawadi

5. Rupert Gregson-Williams

Strong choice picking Rupert over Harry.  I like your style.

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

1. Junkie XL

2. Hans Zimmer

3. Steve Jablonsky

4. Ramin Djawadi

5. Rupert Gregson-Williams

That’s funny! Good one! /nervous chuckle/

Actually, that's a great list of composers, even if Baby Jane might have intended it as a joke. Not entirely sold on Ramin Djawadi yet, but the others, I absolutely love.

1 hour ago, Scintillating_CA said:

That’s funny! Good one! /nervous chuckle/

Does it make you feel more secure on your own taste to let everyone know how uncomfortable you are with a list praising those composers?

6 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Does it make you feel more secure on your own taste to let everyone know how uncomfortable you are with a list praising those composers?

Sigh. It’s called humor. That’s what “/nervous chuckle/“ is for. 

43 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You have so much love to give, Thor.  Even a top 100 wouldn't be enough to list all your favorite composers!

That's actually true.

16 minutes ago, Scintillating_CA said:

Sigh. It’s called humor. That’s what “/nervous chuckle/“ is for. 

I don't think that's funny. I don't think that's funny at all. 

22 hours ago, Thor said:

Actually, that's a great list of composers, even if Baby Jane might have intended it as a joke. Not entirely sold on Ramin Djawadi yet, but the others, I absolutely love.

I like Iron Man, Pacific Rim and Westworld. The 2-CD edition for the latter might be a bit much for you though.

My list is probably pretty different :-)

1. Joe Hisaishi
  2. John Powell
  3. Abel Korzeniowski
  4. Michael Giacchino
  5. Ramin Djawadi

Of course, it does not mean that I do not like composers like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner. But personally, this top 5 grabs me the most.

• 3 months later...

Williams:  The depth and breadth of his work is stunning.  His musical and dramatic sense are unparalleled.  His melodies, timeless.  His harmonic language, striking.

Rozsa: A unique voice, principled and disciplined in his technique.  True gift for spirituality.  Best string writing in Hollywood, or anywhere else after 1930, really.

Horner: Such a joyous composer.  What he might lack in variety he more than makes up in heart.  No slouch as a technician, either.

Morricone: Singular.  A masterful technician and superb melodist.  And The Mission might just be the greatest of all film scores.

Korngold: A rousing pioneer, without whom the guys above would not exist.  All around great composer.    

I've posted in this thread before, but can't remember what I chose.

I think my list would look something like this:

1. John Williams

2. Hans Zimmer

3. James Horner

4. Rob Simonsen

5. Cliff Martinez

This is in terms of CURRENT favourites. In terms of alltime favourites, both Elfman and Goldenthal (to whom I have a completist relationship) would obviously be there, but Goldenthal hardly does scores anymore, and I really dislike what Elfman does with blockbusters and action films (even if I very much like what he does in smaller indie films and such). Williams would be a bit off too, due to his disappointing scores in the last 13 years, but then he saved everything with THE POST.

@Thor, it's always nice to see some love for Cliff Martinez. I've been a fan of his music ever since I saw TRAFFIC, in 2001. I CAN'T DO THIS never ceases to move me.

As for my top-5, I'll just check.......still checking......still checking....... :whistle:.......ah, yes, its still the same:

1/ John Williams

2/ Jerry Goldsmith

aaaand that's about it :)

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

As for my top-5, I'll just check.......still checking......still checking....... :whistle:.......ah, yes, its still the same:

1/ John Williams

2/ Jerry Goldsmith

aaaand that's about it :)

That's truly it!

• 1 month later...

Not in any particular order:

-John Williams (I just revisited his score for Indiana Jones and just with that he reminded me why he is so great)

-James Newton Howard (I love a lot of his fantasy scores, specially Atlantis and Maleficent, and also his collaborations with Shyamalan, especially The Village and Lady in the Water)

-Michael Giacchino (His works for Pixar are most of them fantastic, being The Incredibles one of them. Also, I recently listened to the full Jurassic World score and is not far from William's original, in my opinion)

-Ramin Djawadi (Although he is not liked here a lot, I really enjoy his GoT scores and I also love what he created in Westworld)

-Benjamin Wallfisch (He is probably one of the best composer to come out of Zimmer's school. His scores for A Cure for Wellness and It are in my top ten of the previous year)

-Fernando Velazquez (A spanish composer similar in style to Wallfisch, he has great melodic scores, with special mention to The Orphanage, Crimson Peak and The Impossible)

Honorable Mentions: John Powell (I love his score for Dragons and Pan), Hisaishi (Mononoke and Spirited Away are on my top 10 animation scores) & Abel Korzeniowski (Nocturnal Animals, A Single Man or Penny Dreadful show how much talent he has, but he hasn't been doing a lot lately)

Also, I like Zimmer, but not right now. His last scores have most of them disappointing sound design that worked well inside the movie but weren't really pleasant as standalone listening experiences. 

• 5 months later...

1. John Williams  Verdict: Genius

2. Howard Shore  Verdict: Masterful

3. John Powell   Verdict: The Future

4. Michael Giacchino  Verdict: Disney and Pixar go-to

5. Thomas Newman  Verdict: He knows what he's doing

10 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

1. John Williams  Verdict: Genius

2. Howard Shore  Verdict: Masterful

3. John Powell   Verdict: The Future

4. Michael Giacchino  Verdict: Disney and Pixar go-to

5. Thomas Newman  Verdict: He knows what he's doing

John Powell is the future? He's 55.

Better crack those knuckles and get going beyond shitty Star Wars spinoffs.

14 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

John Williams is 86 and he's still keeping the works coming. The way I see it, Powell has many years ahead therefore many great works ahead. Pity you cannot share in the excitement.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 9:04 PM, gkgyver said:

It's, so far, the only Star Wars score album I can listen to all the way through without zoning out or dozing off. He'll be fine.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:02 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Of the ones I have taken the time to appreciate-

John Williams

This is JW Fan and I am a JW Fan after all.

Hans Zimmer

Not my favorite, but he is good enough to be number two on my list.

Jasha Klebe and Jacob Shea

I put them as a pair because they work together all the time. Particualirly with Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II, two awe inspiring BBC documentary series'.

Michael Giacchino 

I really enjoy a lot of his Disney Pixar scores. UP, Ratatouille, Inside Out. Then there's Rogue One.

A few tied for fifth

Howard Shore, Geoff Zanelli, Thomas Newman, and Danny Elfman

Howard Shore would be higher if he had mentionables outside of The Hobbit Trilogy and TLOTR. I like Thomas Newman's Finding Dory a lot. Geoff Zanelli has some great scores especially Pirates 5. Danny Elfman has a very wide selection of music too, but not my favorite.

Mentionable

George Fenton did Planet Earth I. Well done George. John Powell too ,he's great.

With all due respect to Jerry Goldmsith and James Horner, whose scores I have not yet explored.

Nice to see a fellow Zanelli fan. What other scores of his do you like besides Pirates?

On 3/9/2018 at 7:20 AM, Thor said:

I've posted in this thread before, but can't remember what I chose.

I think my list would look something like this:

1. John Williams

2. Hans Zimmer

3. James Horner

4. Rob Simonsen

5. Cliff Martinez

This is in terms of CURRENT favourites. In terms of alltime favourites, both Elfman and Goldenthal (to whom I have a completist relationship) would obviously be there, but Goldenthal hardly does scores anymore, and I really dislike what Elfman does with blockbusters and action films (even if I very much like what he does in smaller indie films and such). Williams would be a bit off too, due to his disappointing scores in the last 13 years, but then he saved everything with THE POST.

I like Simonsen a lot too. What are some of your favorite scores?

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Nice to see a fellow Zanelli fan. What other scores of his do you like besides Pirates?

Killing Kennedy was good.

4 hours ago, Lord Zimmer said:

After hearing First Man, I gotta put in Justin Hurwitz. Hopefully he'll get more gigs soon, deserves it. 

Justin Hurwitz is very promising. I think La La Land will be hard to beat. Who knows, once I get around to First Man.

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

That's a favorite for Star Wars fans!

Whining about The Last Jedi?

Refusing to see Solo?

Spamming the Internet with racially and sexually insensitive posts?

Come see Killing Kennedy: The Unexpected Sequel

It's the film Mattris is giving five thumbs up to!

I saw First Man last night. 

Updated List:

1. John Williams

2. Justin Hurwitz

La La Land was not the one hit wonder for Hurwitz. He's shown he's all in. His music goes perfectly with Chazelle's films. It's honestly the next Spielberg-Williams that's how excited I am. The score in the film was excellent- a nice recurring riff you can sample in Another Egg Head, a stirring theme often played on theremin but with the full orchestra in The Landing, I had to wipe the tears off my face. The score was so darn beautiful and the film so darn good.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

La La Land was not the one hit wonder for Hurwitz.

Have you heard his score for Chazelle's Whiplash? Or seen the film, for that matter?

He's been doing quality work long before La La Land.

51 minutes ago, John said:

Have you heard his score for Chazelle's Whiplash? Or seen the film, for that matter?

Alas, I am a worm, for my ears have not felt the sweet touch of what I believe is a more percussion oriented score. It is one that I must investigate.

To further my statement John, La La Land is not the only quality work of Hurwitz per se, rather that La La Land was the one that really put him out there for me. I had heard of Whiplash and Guy and Madeline, but it wasn't until La La Land that I decided to take a closer look. Besides, La La Land is his best score thus far. So to summarize, yes you are absolutely right. However, my post was slightly misinterpreted. :)

2 hours ago, John said:

You make it seem like he has a long merited career. The man just composed his 4th score. Whiplash was only 2 years before La La Land. 

• 2 months later...

Williams so far ahead of any film composer alive or dead

Horner

Goldsmith

JNH

A.desplate.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:19 AM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

John Williams is 86 and he's still keeping the works coming. The way I see it, Powell has many years ahead therefore many great works ahead. Pity you cannot share in the excitement.

Nah, Powell's only in it for the money.