Right now, who are your Top 5 film composers?

Josh500

Powell doesn't have the talent that demands the quality films that John has gotten. 

Williams

...followed by (in no particular order as I love them all for different reasons)...

Barry

Goldsmith

Horner

Bernstein

Damn, I just realised Williams is the only one who is still with us

:(

Now if we're talking top ten (which we aren't of course), I'd add...

Poledouris

Silvestri

Elfman

Shore

McNeely

...again in no particular order.

1 hour ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Horner and Williams definitely had Goldsmith beat in the 90’s.

I agree. But the 90s is still my favourite Goldsmith decade in terms of sheer entertainment and listening value.

The first three are pretty tied for me, and might prefer any one of them depending on my mood:

1. Miklos Rozsa

2. John Williams

3. Jerry Goldsmith

4. Erich Wolfgang Korngold

5. Alfred Newman (not sure - too hard to decide*)

*= I also considered Howard Shore or Sergei Prokofiev for #5, but the former was solely on the basis of a single film franchise, while the latter (who might be my overall favourite composer in non-film context) has too few film compositions to be truly applicable. Also felt highly tempted to choose Ennio Morricone or Dimitri Tiomkin.

14 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

If I wanted to understand how could Horner beat The Mummy, The Shadow and The Edge, which scores would you recommend?

From the 90s I only heard his Rocketeer and Titanic

I never liked any of those Goldsmith scores. They're all pretty bleh. I can't think of any post-1990 Goldsmith scores I'd ever be in any rush to revisit. Some I like, but nothing that's within the same field as what Horner, Williams, John Scott and others were doing. Which is all well and good, since the 70's and 80's was the era Goldsmith was top dog. So it's only fair that he lost that throne eventually.

Outbreak amd My Bestfriends Wedding.  Maleficent, The Beast films, Lady in the Water and the Village. None of his collaborations with Zimmer.