The Definitive "Battle Of The Decades" Poll!

BloodBoal

How biased/nostalgic are you?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which decade were you born in?

• The 1940s
    • The 1950s
    • The 1960s
    • The 1970s
    • The 1980s
    • The 1990s
    • The 2000s
    • The 2010s
  2. 2. Which is your favourite decade when it comes to movies?

• The 1930s
    • The 1940s
    • The 1950s
    • The 1960s
    • The 1970s
    • The 1980s
    • The 1990s
    • The 2000s
    • The 2010s
  3. 3. Which is your favourite decade when it comes to film music?

• The 1930s
    • The 1940s
    • The 1950s
    • The 1960s
    • The 1970s
    • The 1980s
    • The 1990s
    • The 2000s
    • The 2010s

Wanted to create this poll for some time, but always pushed it back for some reason, but today, a post by Nick1066 in the Top 5 Film Composers thread made me think now is the time to finally make that poll. Basically, I'm interested in seeing how much of an impact the films we saw and film music we heard as we were growing up made/are still making to this day, and how much they forged our taste and interest in those arts. So, vote now and let's see how biased JWFANers are!

P.S.: Sorry for those born in the 1900s, 1910s or 1920s, or those whose favourite films come from those decades, but I decided to start with the decade during which film music really started to find its groove.

PP.S.: For those interested in it, here's Nick1066's post:

On 19/09/2017 at 5:09 PM, Nick1066 said:

I read a study recently that confirmed something I think most of us already knew...in popular music, as people get older they tend to remain interested in the type of music they came of age with and eventually settled into.  Obviously musical tastes change, but boomers by and large remained into 60's music and people in their 40's and 50's today for example like 80's music, and so on. Of course, there are tons of exceptions to this, some people are very forward thinking and make a point of embracing new music...but that's a general rule. Our musical tastes at some point stop evolving.  You might be into punk rock as a teenager, then alternative in your 20's, etc., but eventually your tastes just kind of settle and you tend to stick with that.

So I wonder how that applies to film music. If you came up with Williams and Goldsmith and Horner, are you less apt to fully embrace guys like Gia and Desplat and Powell, even if you can appreciate them?

Born in '97, so I have no memory of the 90s. The two "golden era"s for me are the 60s-early 70s (mostly general pop culture and popular music - Beatles, classic rock) and the 80s (movies and film music, so I voted for those). Late 70s to middle 80s would have been the perfect pick for film music.

1. Which decade were you born in? 1980s

2. Which is your favourite decade when it comes to movies? 1940s (with 70s a very close runner-up)

3. Which is your favourite decade when it comes to film music? 1970s (although it's really the 70s-90s era)

I can't say I'm a particular fan of one decade of cinema in particular.  There is at least one film from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's & 10's that I'd rank among my all time favourites.  

I have a tendency to sort of appreciate, based on my own estimation, the cream of the crop from each decade...and I recognise that each decade sort of has its own style. But I'm generally not one to go back and watch older films that are mediocre, unless it's a guilty pleasure or I have some kind of nostalgia about it, or I have some other specific reason for seeking it out.  And I'm more forgiving of mediocrity in recent cinema than I am of it in older films. This is simply because in a more recent film, even if the movie isn't that good, I can at least try to find something to appreciate in a performance from an actor I like, or the set design, etc. Whereas I'd get nothing, for example, of watching a run of the mill 70's movie with 70's acting, 70's clothes, 70's effects and an over the top 70's soundtrack.   On the other hand, I have a lot of nostalgia for some really cheesy 80's movies, so I'm quite forgiving of them...but again that's nostalgia. I wouldn't feel any kind of connection to, I don't know, Gidget for example.

Of course, Tarantino would sharply disagree with me on all this, as would a lot of serious film historians and buffs. 

An astounding number of my favorite films of all time were made in the 40s.  The era of Ford, Capra, Lubitsch, Wilder, Mankiewicz, Welles, Powell/Pressburger, Ealing comedies.  My favorite Lean era (I prefer his earlier films to the later epics)!  I go wild for it.

19 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

OnEkArw.gif

LOL...believe it or not I've had this t-shirt forever...

productimage-picture-lao-che-air-freight-5331.jpg

You'd be surprised how many strangers have come up to me and commented on it or just gave me the thumbs up. It's like a secret signal!

Born in the 1990s, I tend to go back to films from that very era as well, but I also love classic films and have a tendency to watch movies from the 1930's and above, since I really like exploring cinema.

In terms of film scores, I tend to go for the 1980's, just because so much orchestral bliss / awesome "epic music" comes from that particular period. 

Born in the 1970s.

I have the most nostalgic connection to 80s movies (seen far more mainstream movies than art films in this decade), but -- now as an adult -- I think my favourite decade is the 70s.

My favourite decade for film music is probably the 90s, but again, that may have a lot to do with the fact that it were my formative years.

As a film scholar and journalist, however, I'm interested in movies from all eras, all countries and all styles. It kinda goes with the job description. I like to watch movies on their own terms, whether it's the latest Hollywood action blockbuster or a weird Hungarian art film from the 60s. There are values in both.

I can't say I found the 90's to be particularly interesting in terms of music (both film and popular), movies and culture. Don't get me wrong, there was some good stuff put out that decade, but I don't think on the whole it changed the game in terms of cinema or music the way some other periods did. It was a transition decade.

Best album of the 1990's was Achtung Baby.

Weezer - Blue Album

The La's

Sonic Youth - Goo

Teenage Fanclub - Songs from Northern Britain

Pearl Jam - Vs

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

Built to Spill - Keep It Like a Secret

Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain

Air - Moon Safari

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

These are all actual brilliant pop albums of the 90s that I just named off the top of my head and put annoying overblown crap like U2 and Oasis to shame.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Weezer - Blue Album

The La's

Sonic Youth - Goo

Pearl Jam - Vs

Air - Moon Safari

These are all actual brilliant pop albums of the 90s that I just named off the top of my head and put annoying overblown crap like U2 and Oasis to shame.

Each one of these answers is wrong.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Most film scores are crap, the pop albums I named are vibrant passionate music.

I do give you points for being a yank that knows and appreciates the La's though .

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

An astounding number of my favorite films of all time were made in the 40s.  The era of Ford, Capra, Lubitsch, Wilder, Mankiewicz, Welles, Powell/Pressburger, Ealing comedies.  My favorite Lean era (I prefer his earlier films to the later epics)!  I go wild for it.

Add Disney, Carne/Prevert, Dreyer, Wyler, and Huston as well for me. The 40s-50s are indeed sort of this nice sweet spot for me. I guess the way I see it is you had a lot of great theatrical dramatists finding their way back to the surreal poetry of the silent era after the technicalities of sound constrained a lot of movies in the 30s.

After that with the 60s on, it seems like things tend to veer more wildly, where you get a lot of movies that are really loose and experimental but sometimes at the expense of a tightly captivating drama, or naturalism becomes king so much that you can lose that sort of wonderfully heightened reality. And you get a lot of great movies on either side but I always tend to like stuff that hit a satisfying balance between the eccentric and traditional. Seemed a little more fluid through the 40s/50s, somehow.

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Add Disney, Carne/Prevert, Dreyer, Wyler, and Huston as well for me. The 40s-50s are indeed sort of this nice sweet spot for me. I guess the way I see it is you had a lot of great theatrical dramatists finding their way back to the surreal poetry of the silent era after the technicalities of sound constrained a lot of movies in the 30s.

After that with the 60s on, it seems like things tend to veer more wildly, where you get a lot of movies that are really loose and experimental but sometimes at the expense of a tightly captivating drama, or naturalism becomes king so much that you can lose that sort of wonderfully heightened reality. And you get a lot of great movies on either side but I always tend to like stuff that hit a satisfying balance between the eccentric and traditional. Seemed a little more fluid through the 40s/50s, somehow.

And Hitchcock!  He made some amazing films in the 40s.  Rebecca, Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Notorious, Rope, Spellbound.

I agree with everything you said.

On September 19, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Disco Stu said:

Weezer - Blue Album

The La's

Sonic Youth - Goo

Pearl Jam - Vs

Air - Moon Safari

These are all actual brilliant pop albums of the 90s that I just named off the top of my head and put annoying overblown crap like U2 ... to shame.

No.

On September 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Disco Stu said:

Most film scores are crap, the pop albums I named are vibrant passionate music.

DeathByU2.jpg

No.

What are you, like 70?

To think I'm not anymore one of the youngsters in here. I barely remember the nineties. I remember floppy discs and working casettes and Disney films. I once played with a bunch of typewriters but they didn't work well anymore. I think I reconstructed most of the nineties with later knowledge.