Whats ur fav john williams piece

coatseyyy

Well this is a really difficult question. I can't name just one piece among Williams' expansive and varied output.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'm going to posit the theory that the original post was genuine and you're all making a first-time poster feel like crap!  Have a great day!

It's the tough JWFan hazing tradition.

I'm going to posit that either (a) it's a joke post by an existing member, (b) it's a joke post by a lurker who knows how JWFan would react, or (c) it's a stupid person.

For any of them I fell no guilt.

5 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I like how this thread has brought out the inner retard of JWFan.

All it takes just one small "perturbation" and this forum turns into a fucking catastrophe.

P.S. My favourite JW piece is either the finale to CE3K or the 1941 March!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm going to posit that either (a) it's a joke post by an existing member, (b) it's a joke post by a lurker who knows how JWFan would react, or (c) it's a stupid person.

For any of them I fell no guilt.

Yup. I ESPECIALLY feel none for option (c).

54 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh if I was taking the question seriously my answer is always and forever "Adventures on Earth"

FYI: It's Adventure, not Adventures on Earth

The concert arrangement, the one that's an adaptation of just the bike chase and the departure, is known as "Adventures on Earth."

The OST track that features a re-recording of all three climactic cues is known as "Adventure on Earth."

Take it up with Mr. John Towner Williams if you don't like the inconsistency!

Yes, I know all that.

So you are saying you like the concert version better than the 15 minute OST track?

Wow.

Oh, and the OST track is NOT a re-recording!  It's entirely the exact same takes and editing of those takes that you hear in the final film, with one extra short horn overlay that wasn't used in the film included.

I dunno if I prefer it necessarily.  Can I love them equally?

For many years of my youth I owned The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration and no release of the E.T. score.  So I kind of first fell in love with the score outside of the film on that release, with "Adventures on Earth."  It holds a special place in my heart!

Oh I find the full 15 minutes of music vastly superior. 

The big problem with the concert arrangement is how it just STOPS after the build up as the kids approach the police blockade, and instead of exploding into the most glorious cathartic version of the flying theme there is, it stops and then the ending the of The Departure comes in.  It's not well done.

Just now, Jay said:

The big problem with the concert arrangement is how it just STOPS after the build up as the kids approach the police blockade, and instead of exploding into the most glorious cathartic version of the flying theme there is, it stops and then the ending the of The Departure comes in.  It's not well done.

I agree with this.  But I also still love the concert piece.  Maybe if I hadn't spent so many years with just that version I'd feel differently.

It's my favorite film score of all time and I love any and everything to do with it!  I can't bring myself to use the word inferior about any part of it, even when comparing to itself! :) 

I don't think I need my mind changed.  I'm not really arguing anything!  I listen to and love both versions!

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Exactly, and it is a perfect example of why we should not let JW arrange his own music for concert performance. The original cues are always better.

His instincts for the theme arrangements recorded for his albums are impeccable but he does make some odd choices for concert hall versions at times, yea

I've always liked the ones that are different, and they feel like different things to me.

Like, I love the "Asteroid Field" concert arrangement.  If push came to shove, yeah the film cue is superior but I love having the concert arrangement in many ways because it is different.  Again, I listen to and enjoy both versions.