Anime suggestions wanted

Nick1Ø66

So I have a friend who is a huge Miyazaki fan...Spirited Away is her favourite movie and she's watched it and the rest of them countless times.  She actually just loves Japanese anime in general, but hasn't watched as much as she'd like b/c she's always busy. Anyway, for the next month she's going to be stuck at home recovering from pretty serious surgery, and I want to help her find some more anime to watch to pass the time.  

She's mostly into science fiction/futuristic anime, and with more adult themes. I know she's watched and enjoyed all of Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist and Psycho-Pass.  Since anime really isn't my thing, I'd be grateful for any suggestions you lot have for things she might enjoy along these lines, either movies or even better series. 

Cheers & thanks in advance.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is the three most unoriginal words I can mention here for this description, followed by Cowboy Bebop. Then... I dunno, Planetes? Serial Experiments Lain? Eva counts as the -1 in sci-fi hardness with massive downer moments and mindfuck, and Planetes as the surprisingly hard but lighthearted one.

I haven't seen a lot of movies, actually. Paprika?

Funnily enough, I'm also hoarding anime for a friend's surgery recovery, lol

Hope she recovers quickly.  In the interim, here're some TV series she can digest while convalescing that might be of interest based on the genre and tone you're looking for:

Ergo Proxy

Kara no Kyokai

Death Note (not the Netflix movie)

Steins; Gate

Erased

Serial Experiments Lain

Attack on Titan

And possibly these, but the tone can vary.

Code Geass

Full Metal Panic! (borderline, it has some teen romcom stuff that can get annoying if she hates that genre)

Future Diary

6 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Oh I have Princess Tutu over there on my list.

It starts out pretty slow (and kinda silly) but it keeps on building and building and it ends up so good that, at least so far, it's become my favorite anime, closely followed by Wolf's Rain.

It's got problems, but I have a certain fondness for the movie Royal Space Force, which takes place on an alternate Earth with a lot of futuristic technology just on the verge of building a spacecraft. It's got a pretty cool score written chiefly by Ryuichi Sakamoto (why I watched the film in the first place)

Miyazaki made a tv show call Future Boy Conan.  I haven't seen it, but it's Miyazaki and takes place in the future. Also, how about Akira. There's a good chance she's already seen it though as it's pretty famous. Can't say I'm too well versed in anime to be of much more help.

I see many people suggested anime series.

I'll suggest films.

(although sci-fi/futuristic are not my favourite)

Metropolis

Your Name (has surpassed Spirited Away in popularity) (actually make her watch all the Makoto Shinkai films! They are exceptional!!)

Girl who leapt through time

Summer Wars

Memories (i watched the 2 out of 3 stories)

Thanks for all the suggestions! And thanks Jay for spinning this off into a separate topic.  She's already seen all the Ghiblis, many times, but some of these series (particularly stuff like Ergo Proxy) sound like just the type of thing she'd enjoy, so I'll start pulling them together.

Cheers again.  Helping a woman get through a painful recovery...you lot are really all quite nice. This list of anime is an absolute good.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Tell her my recommendations will be charged $50. And tell her I thank her for her understanding.

If money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive.

Alfrid-death-in-trolls-jaws.jpg