Richard

Who are your top 5 rudest JW fans?

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

TheGreyPilgim

Now you listen to me.  While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence.  I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King.  My concerns are global.  I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation.  The foundation of such a method... is love.  I love you, JWFan.

But actually, you're right, without a doubt, and I'm not particularly perturbed about it.

I grew up in Brooklyn, at a time when you didn't want to be growing up in Brooklyn, at least, more than usual.  It was a hardening environment.  You didn't mince words, you didn't sugarcoat, you told people exactly what you thought of them, you called bullshit bullshit and you didn't hesitate to go to bat for what you believed in or to defend someone else who needed it, and you didn't worry about how you came across while doing so.

So from the start, I have been frank and indelicate.  Just who I am.  I have convictions, and I am nearly uncensored when discussing, debating, arguing them, in particular when doing so with a certain type of crowd, namely, the pretentious and haughty, and yes, my judgement of who embodies those things is another product of my childhood and I make no apologies for it either.

But what any rational person must be able to do, it seems to me, is distinguish between the kind of gruff demeanor that I and so many others are graced with, and genuine malice.  As evidenced by a post I made earlier today, you will absolutely know when I am being directly and genuinely insulting to you.  And I think that has only happened once or twice in my life as a forum member here.  

Otherwise, much as Albert says above, make no mistake - I believe firmly in common decency, personality quirks be damned, and feel that I'm a commonly decent individual.  I have a wife and three children, and wouldn't feel worthy as a husband nor as a father if I were a truly shitty person.  And, I have to work with people, narcissistic and often unbearable people, almost every day, but I do need to work with them.  I can't afford to be a shitty person.   

Almost everything I post should be read with a sardonic and sarcastic tone, in the spirit of what we often cite as the "pub atmosphere of JWFan."  At times I will be more prosey, more formal.  But usually, I am purely conversational in tone, and that tone is what it is.  And I must admit that I find it irresistible to, at times, really lay into people who take things I say at face value, and become indignant and defensive and then themselves offensive.  My only regret about that is how much it can pollute the forum, but a lot of us do it now and then, so, whatever.

Stay rude, JWFan.  Be decent, but stay rude.

I have 6 users on my ignore list. Not always because they are rude, because they have been mean with me at least two times, and their contribution to the forum is anyway totally irrelevant.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I have 6 users on my ignore list. Not always because they are rude, because they have been mean with me at least two times, and their contribution to the forum is anyway totally irrelevant.

Who is it?

No one has yet dared to make the list.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

You're one of my three, and I'm one of your six. 

5 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Almost everything I post should be read with a sardonic and sarcastic tone, in the spirit of what we often cite as the "pub atmosphere of JWFan."  At times I will be more prosey, more formal.  But usually, I am purely conversational in tone, and that tone is what it is.  And I must admit that I find it irresistible to, at times, really lay into people who take things I say at face value, and become indignant and defensive and then themselves offensive.  My only regret about that is how much it can pollute the forum, but a lot of us do it now and then, so, whatever.

Stay rude, JWFan.  Be decent, but stay rude.

Sardonic and sarcastic do not always come across from writing and so people, especially new people, here who don't know the tone and register you are speaking in and that can cause misapprehensions, which is what most of these cases of indignation and anger seem to be. You can't expect people who just came in know what kind of pub this is.

At least two thirds of the permanent membership here have obvious personal peculiarities (male film music fans, after all) that they can't or shouldn't expect to go unanswered in a public forum. You just have to scroll a few posts up after all those alleged incidents to see that there seldom is outrage without reason. And while not as easy to spot, the amount of casual ignorance and deliberate passive aggression is staggering sometimes.