Why do people hate daytime soap operas?

Unlucky Bastard

It's as if they're casually, and sometimes condescendingly, dismissed because they're entertainment meant for women, and women's interests are regarded as frivolous and inferior. What, are people sexist or something?

Blokes should be able to enjoy a good soap opera without being accused of being gay, playing with Barbie dolls or girlie tea sets. Maybe a bloke just enjoys the schlockiness of the show (the Bold for instance was initially produced by Roger Corman's New World Pictures, but I think that was after he sold it), or the sexy actresses or the far fetched storylines.

They can be really fun to follow!

It's not because they're entertainment aimed at women, I like plenty of entertainment aimed at women.

It's because they're poorly produced, poorly written, poorly acted, and aren't about anything other than keeping you watching for the next one.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's because they're poorly produced, poorly written, poorly acted, and aren't about anything other than keeping you watching for the next one.

Hence "schlock". And hey, a show must be pretty good to keep me interested because I have a knack for dumping shows after a few episodes if they're too boring.

I admit soaps are influential, of course they are.  That doesn't mean they're good.  Or that they aren't outmoded relics playing to a dwindling audience of old people and the disabled (mostly).

5 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Daytime soaps are highly influential on modern serialized TV shows, although fans of the latter would of course deny any connection.

Without The Bold And The Beautiful there would be no The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos etc...

No, but one of the DVD sets contains a soundtrack album featuring some of the more John Barry inspired pieces from the show. I'd like a compilation of some of the more dramatic and suspenseful score pieces from the show someday.

20 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The only good thing about daytime soap operas is that they stay in the country in which they were made.

Not always.  When I lived in Morocco, we got soap operas from everywhere.  Ones from the Philippines seemed especially popular, for some reason.

19 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

No, but one of the DVD sets contains a soundtrack album featuring some of the more John Barry inspired pieces from the show. I'd like a compilation of some of the more dramatic and suspenseful score pieces from the show someday.

Especially from the standout composer of daytime soaps.  That feline bastard's killing our employment chances.

During summer breaks in middle school I had to endure a few years of suffering General Hospital because of my older sister, who was all about this soap.  Stupid, stupid show, and I'll never forgive them for what they did to Dominique.  She was too beautiful for this world.

3 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Not always.  When I lived in Morocco, we got soap operas from everywhere.  Ones from the Philippines seemed especially popular, for some reason.

Imagine how bad their own productions must be then.

On 2/10/2017 at 1:29 AM, The Doctor said:

Daytime soaps are highly influential on modern serialized TV shows, although fans of the latter would of course deny any connection.

I briefly enjoyed a soap opera called Game of Thrones

I sometimes wonder if this is one of the reasons I can't get into a certain kind of TV dramas created in the USA. I lasted up to the second episode of the second season of Breaking Bad for example. The European attempts I don't even try.