Which are your Top 5 Basil Poledouris scores?

Josh500

So Free Willy was a movie I watched quite frequently as a kid, and I've listened to the Farewell Suite on the OST a few times because the ending is very nostalgic and memorable to someone who grew up watching the film. That being said, I know it hasn't been expanded (unless it has, and I was unaware), but how much and what is unreleased? 

6 hours ago, Brando said:

So Free Willy was a movie I watched quite frequently as a kid, and I've listened to the Farewell Suite on the OST a few times because the ending is very nostalgic and memorable to someone who grew up watching the film. That being said, I know it hasn't been expanded (unless it has, and I was unaware), but how much and what is unreleased? 

Just over half the score is unreleased. (I have a film rip which runs under 62 minutes, while the original album's score portion runs under 30.)

That said, I can honestly tell you as a huge Poledouris fan: the unreleased music is nothing to write home about. Practically every highlight is on the original album, and the unreleased stuff, although there are a few nice bits, is mostly not of great interest (most isn't orchestral, but is slight variations on the dated synthy friendship material). This is a rare Poledouris score that to me would not play stronger in complete form, even if I'd certainly buy an expansion and there might be a few more cues I'd add in to my playlist.

Now... I *also* have a complete film rip of the Poledouris score for Free Willy 2...it runs almost 65 minutes. And every note of it is fantastic. It takes the themes of the original score and builds on them with interesting new developments. It introduces a few new themes and integrates and develops them perfectly with the older material. It is sweeping, epic orchestral ocean-y music, with some neat new organic elements like acoustic guitar and less of a synthy feel. Seriously, every cue is wonderful and all that's been released of this amazing score is a paltry 10.5 minutes (three cues) on the original soundtrack album. The Free Willy scores on either side of it have had almost 3x as much music released, but this is the best of the three scores hands down!

So that's what you should be pining after, trust me. If it ever comes out people will be blown away. IMO it's the most important Poledouris, expansion or premiere, that could be released at this point.

Yavar

Have done a listen of almost all the Poledouris scores is my collection the last few weeks. My top 5 would be:

Lonesome Dove

Conan The Barbarian

Farewell To The King

Starship Trooopers

Quigley Down Under

The Hunt For Red October just missed out, mostly because I don't find the score tthe rest of the score lives up to the opening Hymn. Still a terrific score though

19 hours ago, Brando said:

So Free Willy was a movie I watched quite frequently as a kid...

In 1993, I went to see some film or other, at my local flea-pit (I honestly forget which film it was), and there was a trailer for FREE WILLY, after which, the naughty projectionist had added a card which said: "Coming Soon".

The entire cinema laughed its head off :lol: