Twin Peaks: The Return vs True Detective S1

Quintus

Twin Peaks: The Return vs True Detective S1  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is better?

• TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN
    • TRUE DETECTIVE S1

TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN is in a whole other league. But the first season of TRUE DETECTIVE was damn good too -- and I say that as someone who generally dislikes anything "crime".

And It Aint Even Close.

Jason disliked spelling out whole words for some reason.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

True Detective S1 AINEC.

How is TP winning?

Democracy! The will of the people! (or in my case a protest vote to piss of Lee)

1 minute ago, Thor said:

You're mad. TWIN PEAKS is the best thing ever on television!

No. Not even close. And no one seriously thinks that. And I like Twin Peaks on the whole. But unlike you I cannot ignore the levels of inconsistency in quality, just "because it's Lynch"

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

And It Aint Even Close.

Jason disliked spelling out whole words for some reason.

Democracy! The will of the people! (or in my case a protest vote to piss of Lee)

Not at all. I actually forgot I'd made this thread! 

I agree with BloodBoal about the key mysteries of the respective fictions. Or more specifically: I find the mystery of the Yellow King a more satisfying arc than I do anything about the Mother and the Lodges in Twin Peaks. That is one of my biggest disappointments with Twin Peaks actually; because for a time it was the most fascinating lore of any of the shows I watch. But when all is said and done over those 18 episodes, I did not enjoy the direction they took with it. I suppose it's a matter of sensibilities and personal taste, as it always is. So that is why Carcossa is for me the far more gratifying TV of these two not dissimilar shows.  

54 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ýeah....

Btw, I think True Detective S1 is far superior to Twin Peaks, any Twin Peaks

Really? I didn't think you believed that. 

I enjoyed watching Twin Peaks The Return a lot, but True Detective S1 was just simply better and more satisfying.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I enjoyed watching Twin Peaks The Return a lot, but True Detective S1 was just simply better and more satisfying.

YES!

In the end it made sense, without explaining everything or even wrapping much up. Emotionally it felt finished.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

In the end it made sense, without explaining everything or even wrapping much up. Emotionally it felt finished.

Exactly, yea.

I liked True Detective S1 but it's not a show that I consider important. Heck, I stopped watching S2 after one episode. I think TP S3, in all it's craziness, will leave a bigger imprint on me. So I vote for TP S3 even though people are right when they say it's like comparing apples & oranges. For the record, I believe(d) in the Golden Age of Television and neither show is in my top 5 best TV ever. 

Alex

I've had this conversation before here. Supernatural themes, existential themes, alternate universe themes, detectives themes, missing people themes, philosophical themes, small town crime themes, etc etc... 

Nah, well ahead of you. I think you were just trying in vain to make this into something tenuous. You're the consummate question asker in these scenarios, remember. You are rarely forthcoming with answers about anything and you're not really interested in debate until you at least know absolutely everything that others have said first.

I can definitely see links between the two. I think TD drew lots of inspiration in terms of cinematography (at least the grittier parts of TP), and the sense of unease lying just beneath the surface.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Really? Apart from a general similarity involving the paranormal I don't see it.

Me neither. Apples & oranges, goddammit!

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Nah, well ahead of you. I think you were just trying in vain to make this into something tenuous. You're the consummate question asker in these scenarios, remember. You are rarely forthcoming with answers about anything and you're not really interested in debate until you at least know absolutely everything that others have said first.

Lee, why are you pointing fingers at me while you are the one starting this poll. I asked you a simple question. You gave me an answer that didnt do much for me, the end. (as far as I'm concerned)

As I said, I already had the same conversation before here, and I'm not really one for regurgitating stuff I've already been over. Either way, I'm satisfied that my thematic comparisons are more than adequate on this occasion. Although, maybe you could tell me why they're not. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/2/2017 at 11:27 AM, Thor said:

You're mad. TWIN PEAKS is the best thing ever on television!

Fuckin' A!!!!!!!

On 10/2/2017 at 6:17 PM, Alexcremers said:

Me neither. Apples & oranges, goddammit!

Oranges are not the only fruit.