Which are your Top 5 Alan Silvestri scores?

Josh500

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I also this his BTTF scores are very generic sounding and extremely overrated. 

When I was a kid, I used up be absolutely certain that the BTTF theme is the exact same as the Island Theme from Jurassic Park....

It took me to get these scores on CD to realize they weren't. How could they, when they were two different composers? But I was 10 years or so back then, and didn't know better. But seen in this light, BTTF can't be that generic sounding. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Actually your comments suggest the exact opposite.

Why? If a piece can be confused with one of the best John Williams action pieces, it's a sign that it's exciting and just that good!

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It it sounds just like another big blockbuster theme then yes that would mean it's pretty generic. Like how all the Marvel superhero themes sounds alike!

Except I didn't say any other blockbuster theme. I said John Williams's Jurassic Park! 

I meant that Alan Silvestri outdid himself with BTTF, even managing to sound like one of JW's best and most beloved scores!

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You and Josh both apparently.  I don't think the opinions of prepubescent boys are very relevant!

Says the guy who looks like 12 on his profile pic! 😂 

And let's not forget.  To the general public, Mozart sounds identical to Beethoven sounds identical to Wagner.

For someone with rudimentary musical education, BTTF sounds nothing like John Williams.  Silvestri very clearly comes from  more of a pop background.  It permeates his music.  In a good way!

Just now, Josh500 said:

Says the guy who looks like 12 on his profile pic! 😂 

Don't see me complaining!  May I continue to look 20 years under my actual age for many decades to come!

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For someone with rudimentary musical education, BTTF sounds nothing like John Williams.  Silvestri very clearly comes from  more of a pop background.  It permeates his music.  In a good way!

Like I said above, I was talking about my impressions when I was a kid....

You sound like a moron. Of course anybody who knows JW's and AS's works will know the difference.... You don't even have to have a "rudimentary musical education"! 😂 

Thanks Stefan, but I'm really not very good looking.

I forget what a nasty little shit Josh is sometimes.  Try to have a nice conversation with someone and see what you get.   Screw him.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I forget what a nasty little shit Josh is sometimes.  Try to have a nice conversation with someone and see what you get.   Screw him.

So you can dish it out, but can't take it? "Moron" stung you, didn't it?! I bet it's because you're afraid you really are! 😂 

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Look at him! he IS a moron! Gets ahead on good looks alone.

Are you hitting on him? Or do you just like twelve year olds? 

Just now, Stefancos said:

That came from your mind, you paedo filth!

You're the one calling a twelve year old good-looking! Who's the pedo here?

I should sic the Creep Catchers on you! :D

23 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Father of the Bride.

Anybody has this score?

Yes. It's a nice score. Nothing particularly original (if that's important to you), but it's a breezy, light affair. Well worth having.

I have some emotional attachment to the film as it's basically my mom's favorite movie of all time.  And boy is it a mom film!  But it's actually pretty good for what it is.  Steve Martin, Martin Short, Diane Keaton.  Great cast.

Making this list got me thinking that I like Silvestri a lot in bits and pieces, but generally his albums or complete scores leave me unsatisfied, like there's a lot of material but not enough at the same time.

You know, I really like Silvestri's score to THE WALK but hardly anybody else seems to ever mention or talk about it at all

Just now, Jay said:

You know, I really like Silvestri's score to THE WALK but hardly anybody else seems to ever mention or talk about it at all

I tried giving that a listen a couple of times specifically after seeing you talk about it.  I don't think I'm hearing what you're hearing.  What are your favorite 2 or 3 cues?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I have some emotional attachment to the film as it's basically my mom's favorite movie of all time.  And boy is it a mom film!  But it's actually pretty good for what it is.  Steve Martin, Martin Short, Diane Keaton.  Great cast.

Yeah, I like it too actually. It's a light-hearted comedy of the old school... and it's great for what it is! And the fact that Alan "BTTF" Silvestri wrote the score makes it somehow even greater! 

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I tried giving that a listen a couple of times specifically after seeing you talk about it.  I don't think I'm hearing what you're hearing.  What are your favorite 2 or 3 cues?

I suppose if you don't enjoy Pourquoi? / Spy Work / The Walk then its just not for you *shrug*

I enjoy the BTTF films, and the scores work fine in context. Some cues I do really like, but the theme itself is absolutely generic to me and the most disappointing thing about the score. I indeed think it's very telling that it was ever possible to confuse it with the Jurassic Park theme (which is a far superior theme of course). I think the only reason it's not generic to most people is because of the extreme nostalgia for the film. Watch it over and over enough times and of course that theme will be burned into your brain and you'll say it's not generic. But I'm telling you if the same theme had been written for some other film that flopped and isn't remembered today...few people would bring it up as one of Silvestri's masterpieces of composition. Just my opinion of course!

Yavar

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I talked briefly to Silvestri about this two years ago, but more because I felt obligated (it was current in the cinema) than a desire, as I didn't particularly care for it. I couldn't even get through the movie, unfortunately. :(

42 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I enjoy the BTTF films, and the scores work fine in context. Some cues I do really like, but the theme itself is absolutely generic to me and the most disappointing thing about the score. I indeed think it's very telling that it was ever possible to confuse it with the Jurassic Park theme (which is a far superior theme of course). I think the only reason it's not generic to most people is because of the extreme nostalgia for the film. Watch it over and over enough times and of course that theme will be burned into your brain and you'll say it's not generic. But I'm telling you if the same theme had been written for some other film that flopped and isn't remembered today...few people would bring it up as one of Silvestri's masterpieces of composition. Just my opinion of course!

Hmm, I disagree.

I think one major reason why Back to the Future was such a massive success was its score. This score is really spectacularly effective and exciting. In fact, it elevates the movie to a whole new level. I'm pretty sure if it hadn't boasted such a well crafted and powerful score, or if it had only featured 80's pop songs as soundtrack, BTTF would likely have been just another quickly forgotten silly teen comedy of the 80s (this one with a sci-fi twist)! It wouldn't have been nearly as big a hit.... 

In fact, didn't Spielberg himself say (when he was executive producing this) that what this movie needs is a John Williams like blockbuster score....? 

I think the BTTF scores are great, but repetitive in long form.  BTTF3 tends to buck that a little bit, with its western slant and its new love theme.  It's the only one I regularly listen to.

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I think the BTTF scores are great, but repetitive in long form.  BTTF3 tends to buck that a little bit, with its western slant and its new love theme.  It's the only one I regularly listen to.

Agreed. That's why BTTF doesn't feature on my top 5 list. Great theme, but the endless repetitions and the herrmannian "stop-start over" aspect of the action music doesn't appeal to me very much. BTTF2 is even worse in this respect. BTTF3 is the superior score, even though it's a straightup western, so apples and oranges. :)

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The BTTF trilogy is a classic in the same way The Goonies is one...so not really.

This is demonstrably false because The Goonies is only beloved by the people who were kids when it came out whereas BTTF is beloved by each successive generation and if anything has only grown in popularity in the past 32 years, much like Wizard of Oz et. al.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

This is demonstrably false because The Goonies is only beloved by the people who were kids when it came out whereas BTTF is beloved by each successive generation and if anything has only grown in popularity in the past 32 years, much like Wizard of Oz et. al.

Very true

They made live to projection concerts for BTTF.  That'll never happen for The Goonies

6 hours ago, Thor said:

From glancing this thread, I seem to be the only one who really like Silvestri's synth efforts, especially in the 80s. FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR is already on my Top 5, but I also dig OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE, THE DELTA FORCE, CRITICAL CONDITION, OVERBOARD, NO MERCY, AMERICAN ANTHEM etc.

Synclavier II for the win!

I had Flight of The Navigator as an honorable mention. I like a lot of Silvestri's synclavier efforts, even though many people find them cheesy. The Delta Force is also great. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I quite like that score too, especially the "jazzy" bits. I just didn't mention it on my list, because there too many scores to choose from. The Walk track is great. 

Also I'd really love if most "generic themes", were as good as BTTF, I really would, and the film is absolutely a classic. 

The main theme to BTTF is one of the best film score themes of all time.

It's really only Stefan that constantly how the score isn't that great to him.  It's pretty universally loved.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's really only Stefan that constantly how the score isn't that great to him.  It's pretty universally loved.

And me, now. And the great James Southall, until recently. But he's come around to your side now:

http://www.movie-wave.net/back-to-the-future/

But notice the reply by Erik Woods referring his previous low opinion of the score...and there's a later commenter, Howard Hand, who "agrees more with the original 3 star review".

Yavar

Alan Silvestri's "The Bodyguard"....

This is obviously a different kind of movie and score, but the movie was a massive hit, and should not be disregarded. It's Silvestri's version of John Williams's "Presumed Innocent" or Jerry Goldsmith's "Basic Instinct", I guess... A detective/love story with a film noirish aspect to it.

It's a quiet, but nonetheless very atmospheric score. I guess it was overshadowed by Whitney Houston's hit cover song and never had a chance to stand out.